Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 kwh not availible in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how accurate that number is. While science and engineering types might actually mean 99% when they say it, I find sales and marking folks often toss around "99%" when they simply mean "most." Of course the US 40kWh customers are still some months from production, so it is likely that few have finalized yet. Though, I expect reasonable demand for that car once it does enter production. People considering the 40 kWh battery car are probably less likely to give Tesla a $5000 zero interest loan.
I think you are right here. 99% souds a bit too high. Tesla has shown that it wants to avoid producing the 40kwh packs, and coil suspension wherever they can. If it wasn't for the atvm loan, there would be no 40kwh pack or standard suspension available.

Tesla claims 99% of the clients in the USA finalizes with the 60kWh or 85kWh.

Considering everybody that has finalized is hoping to get their cars before the 40kWh batteries even enters into production, this would not be surprising. But as others have said, I doubt it's really at 99% (probably 90%+ though at this point).

I'll be getting the 40kHw one, as while I would really like to get the 85kHw, it's kind of silly to do so. I don't do more than 50mi/day, ever - it's just be a waste of $20k.

I wouldn't have been surprised to see them kill off the 40 kWh with the price adjustment that was announced. Given that they didn't, it's a little odd to do that now.

While I am pretty convinced that Tesla is planning on killing the 40 eventually, I dont think that they will do it until Gen III is at least available for reservations, if not on the road. The 40 kWh Model S will be to close in price to the Gen III, and most owners who would be interested in the 40 kWh Model S will likely prefer the cheaper Gen III vehicle anyway.

It's official: No 40kWh battery for the "European" Model S in 2013... (if ever)

Seriously, seriously bummed...

As we begin production of Model S for Europe, we will only be importing 60 and 85 kWh cars. We will not be importing the 40 kWh car. We may choose to import the 40 kWh car at some point in the future, but it is not planned as an option in Europe for 2013.

The Volvo is €20k more expensive and I've asked about the RAV4, but that car will only be offered in the USA (and Canada?)

But this is OT...

The Rav4 is ONLY sold in California to meet their zero emissions vehicle requirements. 2600 of them over 3 years. No more, no less.

Having said that, there's really no reason you couldn't export one. At least one was shipped to Colorado. Sure, you will warranty challenges, but I'll bet the local Tesla service center would help.

The rest of the car is all standard Toyota, so if the oil burning Rav4 is sold in Europe, then it should be easy to get generic warranty on non-Tesla bits at any Toyota dealer.

Ok, it took me 48 hours from finishing the email until pressing the send button, but I have cancelled my reservation. I could have chosen to go for a bare bone version of the 60kWh car, but it didn't make sense to forgo on my favorite color and the tech package and the air suspension.

I am a little bit undecided what to do next. Wait for Gen III as there are no real attractive/good other EV's around? Go for a hybrid in the meantime? (puke!)

Seriously disappointed. I think I need to go cold turkey and stay away here for a while.