Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400 Miles and a Drag Race.. 12.79 1/4 mile P90D with 35% battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Left Chicago yesterday and traveled for work all day in Wisconsin. Car is a P90D with 20" wheels. Hit the superchargers in Madison as well as in Pleasant Prairie, WI. Total of 400 miles. Most of it highway using Autopliot. Fantastic. Zero issues.

i also stopped at Great Lakes Dragway on the way back and did 4 runs. I know i should go with SOC above 95% but the track was going to close and i couldn't get to the supercharger and back in time. Call it a test.

Best run was 12.79 with the runs clustered around 12.8. Battery was at 35% SOC. Max Power was turned on. Insane mode was activated. Thinking the car will do very low 12's under best conditions.

Total usage was 421 wh/ mile which given the many runs and my highway speeds i was happy with.

Attachments

• drag.pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: benjiejr
I try to stay out of the X forum to let the people who have actually owned, ordered, or even driven one dictate the conversation, but I can't help this one.

To me it is nearly unbelievable that you can take a 400-mile trip in a 2.5-ton SUV that can hold 6 people plus all of their stuff, literally drive itself on the highway, not use any gas (and for that matter travel for free with supercharging), and pull into a drag strip go lay down a 12.8 1/4 mile. There is no other car on the planet that can do this. I sympathize with the frustrating things that some of you are going through, but you all are driving the future of transportation. Saying that the X is an awesome car is an understatement. I'm jealous of you X owners and happy that I have chosen to support the company that made it happen.

You were up against something wicked fast in the 2nd run according to the strip. If I'm reading the numbers correctly, they were almost a full second slower reacting to the start, and still were in the 11's at the end.

And I echo Boourns comment - good results for a specialty street mobile you drive to and from the drag strip. Speechless with awe for people mobile and stuff hauler, comfortable to tool around for hundreds of miles all day, and then stop off at the drag strip. And with properly sourced electricity, no marginal carbon contributions from miles driven.

Good stuff :)

The car in Lane 1 was a built newer mustang. He had traction problems but once he hooked up the car was quick. Assume its a high 10's car when everything goes right. I could have had a few more runs but they certified a jet car last night. Incredible sound and speed. I think his test run was in the 4's.

Reactions: benjiejr
I showed up around 830pm. The tech guy asked about radiator overflow and a bunch of ICE car stuff. The car isn't fast enough to ask a whole lot so he just let me go.

We waited for the jet car and several people came over to talk. The FWD got the biggest response. A tesla had been there before and ran low 11's so they knew a bit. Given the size of the car they were impressed. Need to go back with a full battery.

Left Chicago yesterday and traveled for work all day in Wisconsin. Car is a P90D with 20" wheels. Hit the superchargers in Madison as well as in Pleasant Prairie, WI. Total of 400 miles. Most of it highway using Autopliot. Fantastic. Zero issues.

i also stopped at Great Lakes Dragway on the way back and did 4 runs. I know i should go with SOC above 95% but the track was going to close and i couldn't get to the supercharger and back in time. Call it a test.

Best run was 12.79 with the runs clustered around 12.8. Battery was at 35% SOC. Max Power was turned on. Insane mode was activated. Thinking the car will do very low 12's under best conditions.

Total usage was 421 wh/ mile which given the many runs and my highway speeds i was happy with.

I had a question which I believe relates to your 400mi charge. Just wanna confirm though. Did you give the Model X a full charge and you were able to get 400 miles out of that 1 charge. I was getting 251 mi after a full charge. Then after a couple weeks, I had fully charged my car and it read 300 mi on the dash. Do you know why this would happen?

Endodon,

My total mileage for the day was 400 miles. I stopped at two different superchargers a total of three stops.

Chicago- Madison 140 miles
Madison supercharger -charged for 20 minutes and got 100 miles range
Madison- work location- Madison slightly 80 miles
Madison supercharger- got food so maybe 15 minutes. Got about 80 miles range
Madison- Great Lakes about 100 miles
Multiple drags runs
Great Lakes to pleasant Prarie- about 20 miles
Pleasant Prarie supercharger- went to bathroom so maybe 40 miles range
Pleasant Prarie- to chicago 60 miles

400 miles of driving. About 45-50 minutes of supercharging. I only saw one other car charging at a supercharger and it was in Madison and was an X.

The only supercharger I ever see people at is the "secret" one at the Grand service center in Chicago. Can be lots of taxis/ uber there.

Awesome stuff man. Took a trip up to our ranch in Peshtigo,WI myself and got to looking at how I'd run super chargers there and back. Seems there's really nothing, including chademo chargers north and along the way of Sheboygen. Looks like I'll be needing to hook up the 240 up there until Musk gives some love to the north.

Bit off topic but I saw Wisconsin :p

Endo- there are rated and ideal miles. I go by rated and that says about 260 miles.

Mickie- we have a place near Viroqua and I travel up to Ladsymith are for work. Beautiful country. Not much for charging up there. If you look at the supercharger map you can see for 2016 looks like Wausau and somewhere near Green Bay. The aloft hotel in Green Bay has a 48 amp tesla charger. Sure you have it figured out...

Ah, you're in the driftless region, very nice. Rolling hills and ranges far as one can see. But yeah, a Green Bay SC station will seal the deal nicely without me having to possibly upgrade my service up there.

Cheers and happy 4th :)