Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

407 ETR Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told that the transponder still had to be leased and "attached" to the car with the exemption. They did say "physically" attached when I asked, but also that it had to be attached to the car's plate in their system as well. I'm just happy that they were able to accommodate me, and still have a separate transponder for my wife's car.

Oddly I haven't had any transponder in our car since being on their list and haven't been charged any transponder fee either! Basically no video toll charges and no transponder fee.
I wasn't told I had to lease any transponder at this time and we actually returned it to 407 and ever since no charges. I guess everyone's experience may be a bit different.

I have no doubt that you are technically correct but I got my transponder many years ago and I never informed them when I changed cars until I called in about my Tesla about two years ago. And I have always moved it amongst cars. I don't know how they would ever know as if you have a transponder they don't OCR your plate.

Oddly I haven't had any transponder in our car since being on their list and haven't been charged any transponder fee either! Basically no video toll charges and no transponder fee.
I wasn't told I had to lease any transponder at this time and we actually returned it to 407 and ever since no charges. I guess everyone's experience may be a bit different.

I was in contact with the 407 in early March 2013 when they had never heard of a "Tesla". Took a long time to convince them it was actually a real car! Things may have changed since then.

In any event, I was told they'd waive the video fee, but I'd still have to rent the transponder because in any other car, you had to have a transponder or pay that video fee. They were just accommodating the fact that their transponder wouldn't work through my windshield. Seemed reasonable to me.

I phoned them today about some false video charges and the person knew right away what a Tesla was and adjusted my bill and made a note to that effect in my account. But he also asked what transponder serial is logically attached to the Tesla plate.

Same for me, I never installed the transponder as Tesla is on a list for them of metalized windshields. They did tell me that they are aware of it and a friend of mine who worked at 407 for the tech side was the one who actually told me not to install it as i didn't want the ugly thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Nothing seems to get through that windshield other than light. I have a Blackvue dash cam which relies on a GPS connection to get it's location date/time and speed. It simply cannot get a signal so all of my recordings have whacky date/times, no location data and no speed. Probably wouldn't be acceptable as "evidence" in an accident since it shows me in the year 1968 and going 0 MPH on the freeway!

My iPhone has no issue getting a GPS signal - I had it on a suction cup mode on the dash and use Waze all the time without issues.

Actually my 407 transponder works 90% of the time and the Blackvue camera has no problem with GPS. 407 transponder is mounted to the left of camera housing and Blackvue to the right.

Could be the generation of car I have. For example, my Feb 2013 build has a different windshield than @mrElbe above. On my car, there is a known "opening" in the metalized film just the right of the mirror mount. My 407 transponder is mounted directly over it and will work about 75% of the time. I think if I pull the 407 transponder off, my Blackview will get a GPS signal (it used to work before I mounted the transponder).

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
I couldn't get my transponder to work anywhere on the front windshield of my May 2015 S. After much experimentation, I mounted it at the bottom centre of my rear window, works 95% of the time there. And I don't see it in my rear view mirror unless I have the back seats folded down.

Why bother futzing around if the 407 is not penalizing Tesla Model S owners for not having a transponder? As some of us have done you can just use the transponder in another car. And then there is the possibility that they will not be able to read your licence plate for various reasons and you will get a free or reduced ride.

As far as I see there is only upside to not bothering to try to find a spot where you transponder can be read.

It took 3 visits to the 407 ETR office to get the billing done correctly. After the initial visit, I was told that" it was in place - I wouldn't be billed". Whereupon I showed my invoice for multiple non-transponder charges. After the third visit, I have not been invoiced for any non-transponder fees.

As some of us have done you can just use the transponder in another car.

Well, that is not the intent and is "gaming the system" as it were. To avoid the video toll charge, you're supposed to have a transponder associated with the car and it's plate (with any car, not just Tesla). The 407 is simply saying because the transponder won't work through the glass, they won't penalize you for it. If you don't want to mount it, leave it in the glove box or at home. It's really cheating to use it in another car. I have 2 cars and 2 transponders on my account. The one in my other car works fine through the glass. I for one am glad that the 407 has accommodated us (and other cars with this problem) and would hate to have it ruined if they find out many people are taking advantage of their goodwill and cheating.

Spoke with 407 after we got our TESLA. They said they know of the issue, but we still need to "lease" a second transponder ($9.99/yr) to have one associated with the car. They made a note that even if transponder signal isn't picked up, we won't be charged any additional fees. Fingers crossed it doesn't become an issue, but seemed pretty straight forward.

The current manual has the following on page 157:

Using RFID Transponders

Model S has a metallic coating on the windshield that can interfere with signals sent from RFID transponders used by many toll systems. Most Model S vehicles, depending on date of manufacture, include an area in the windshield in which the metallic coating is cut out to accommodate transponders. This area, located on the right side of the rear view mirror, is the best location to mount an transponder. If your vehicle does not include this cut out area, mount the transponder to the rear window.

Note: You can also attach a weather-proof transponder on the front license plate or behind the nose cone (for details on how to remove the nose cone, see Instructions for Transporters on page 172).

Is this not working for people? I don't take delivery of my S for another couple weeks, but I'm curious why all the challenges with the 407 transponder given the above.

Is this not working for people? I don't take delivery of my S for another couple weeks, but I'm curious why all the challenges with the 407 transponder given the above.
I think that this has evolved over time. But in my experience it isn't that easy to test. I believe that the transponders only beep when you leave the highway, not when you enter. And I only use the 407 a couple of times per month, at most. So that is a pretty long feedback loop. So why futz around - give them a call and they put you on a whitelist for no video toll surcharges and you are good.

Reactions: ig_epower
The windshield on my 2017 is completely different from the 2012. It doesn't have the patch near the rear view window (which was supposed to let radio waves through but didn't work for me). It looks like the newer windshield doesn't block radio waves as much; I just had an RFID tag work from inside the car for once.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff
I used the transponder in my Model 3 on the way home from pickup and it worked normally (4 beeps at the exit.) I held it in my hand near the windshield for that one trip. So not metalized. Anybody have any suggestions where to affix it so it doesn't interfere with anything?