Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

46.2 EAP Twitchy on V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

Anyone else noticed that AP is a twitchy since V9? I’ve noticed that since being on V9 the car seems a little more sensitive and struggling to make a decision.

For example I’m in the fast line approaching a car in the middle lane when all of a sudden my car thinks the middle lane car is in front of me and pumps the breaks but what’s strange is that when you look at the dash it’s highlighting that car as the car to follow but it’s quickly on/off then on/off.

I have to take over to pass them out AP back on, any thoughts

Also anyone noticed that when passing a lorry or bus AP seems to struggle to process the camera input and displays two lorrys on the dash rather than one... seems to be at the point the lorry comes into view of the rear facin fender cameras it doesn’t do it with cars though so I’m guessing the length of a bus/lorry is confusing it

Hey,
Also anyone noticed that when passing a lorry or bus AP seems to struggle to process the camera input and displays two lorrys on the dash rather than one... seems to be at the point the lorry comes into view of the rear facin fender cameras it doesn’t do it with cars though so I’m guessing the length of a bus/lorry is confusing it
I've noticed this. What's weird is that this only happens to me on the right hand side of the car. The left cameras seem to work as expected.

I'm still on V9 42.3, but EAP for me is the best it's ever been. The dash display is very erratic though when passing vehicles, especially lorries which dance around all over the place as you pass by! But I haven't suffered much in the way of phantom braking, the steering is accurate and thankfully doesn't hunt into left hand junctions as it did in later versions of V8. That behaviour was positively dangerous and I'm surprised it was even allowed to go live, but that's Tesla for ya!

• Informative
Reactions: iboy and Fellsteruk
Hey,

Anyone else noticed that AP is a twitchy since V9? I’ve noticed that since being on V9 the car seems a little more sensitive and struggling to make a decision.

For example I’m in the fast line approaching a car in the middle lane when all of a sudden my car thinks the middle lane car is in front of me and pumps the breaks but what’s strange is that when you look at the dash it’s highlighting that car as the car to follow but it’s quickly on/off then on/off.

I have to take over to pass them out AP back on, any thoughts

I too have noticed this at least at two instances
1. Earlier on, when I am on a 3 lane motorway that curves and if I am changing from the fast lane to the middle lane, my MS breaks if it senses a vehicle that is on the slow lane but is up ahead. It thinks my MS is going to collide and breaks. I think for some reason it is not able to process the curve on the road quickly as it processing it as a straight-line. I think there is some improvement in the behaviour, in the past it was too sudden but now it seems a bit smoother. I guess it has learnt something :D
2. Again on curvy but narrow city roads that have intermittent dividers, if I am just on cruise control, the MS breaks if it senses a parked car upfront even if I have the car pointed well away from the parked car.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
I too have noticed this at least at two instances
1. Earlier on, when I am on a 3 lane motorway that curves and if I am changing from the fast lane to the middle lane, my MS breaks if it senses a vehicle that is on the slow lane but is up ahead. It thinks my MS is going to collide and breaks. I think for some reason it is not able to process the curve on the road quickly as it processing it as a straight-line. I think there is some improvement in the behaviour, in the past it was too sudden but now it seems a bit smoother. I guess it has learnt something :D
2. Again on curvy but narrow city roads that have intermittent dividers, if I am just on cruise control, the MS breaks if it senses a parked car upfront even if I have the car pointed well away from the parked car.

These are both issues I've experienced with V8 as well as V9, so nothing new there. V9 is perhaps a little better in both respects of phantom braking, but I never use AP when there are parked cars on the side of the road with no divider. Cars "brake" too, not "break", although we are talking Tesla here so maybe I misunderstood your post, lol!

These are both issues I've experienced with V8 as well as V9, so nothing new there. V9 is perhaps a little better in both respects of phantom braking, but I never use AP when there are parked cars on the side of the road with no divider. Cars "brake" too, not "break", although we are talking Tesla here so maybe I misunderstood your post, lol!
Hahaha, I am normally conscious of the words I use, a Freudian slip perhaps :p

was just about to post a thread about the same subject and found this already.

I now have 46.2 and it is pretty much unusable, the first really bad release for some time now.
As has been said above even though the IC draws the cars in adjacent lanes correctly, the AP software regularly freaks out at cars in adjacent lanes and unpredicatably literally slams the brakes on .

Perhaps Tesla present to us for xmas easter egg is a reaction tester :eek:

Come on Tesla you can (and need to) do better than this.
imho this build should not have been put on general release, and that's from an experienced daily user of AP for 3+years.

I am actually going to call Tesla support about this build as I think it is flat out dangerous.

next update please (familiar refrain or what)

Hello!

I had similar behaviour this morning on my weekly commute - ping-ponging between lanes, veering towards lorries and phantom-breaking for cars going the other way. Very unusual, especially as I haven't had a s/w update for a while (I'm still on 42.3).

When I got out of the car the cause became clear: the camera area (alone) was fogged up, the rest of the windscreen was fine.

My point being: it may well be that 46.x is less stable than previous releases, but please do not underestimate other factors too!

When I got out of the car the cause became clear: the camera area (alone) was fogged up, the rest of the windscreen was fine...

fogging of the front camera is a known issue in some conditions.
This is what the single tap on the front demister does - heats the camera area to remove fogging, a second tap turns the HVAC to Hi to demist the whole screen.

I discussed this with Tesla UK literally years ago and they said that it was a known issue and there was a fix coming. Elon time I guess.

In the meantime single tap the fron demister button to clear expecially on cool mornings if you dont have the full demister on.

This is what the single tap on the front demister does - heats the camera area to remove fogging, a second tap turns the HVAC to Hi to demist the whole screen.

I discussed this with Tesla UK literally years ago and they said that it was a known issue and there was a fix coming. Elon time I guess.

In the meantime single tap the fron demister button to clear expecially on cool mornings if you dont have the full demister on.

OOh thanks for that. I've had replies elsewhere indicating the de-misting is supposed to be fully automatic and therefore it's time for an SC visit. If it's simple User Error I'd be relieved!

(BTW: the manual just says "single tap is defog, double-tap is defrost". Does not mention the camera area at all....)

I haven't experienced any of these worrying AP issues on either 42.3 or the latest 46.2. Maybe it comes down to hardware spec? Mine is an early 2018 MX with AP 2.5 and MCU1. AP for me is still significantly better than V8, other than the dancing cars & trucks on the dash display, which are a bit of a joke! I wish there was an option to switch off the vehicles displayed in other lanes until they behave themselves, lol!

In other news Spotify is a little more stable on 46.2, but still very flaky and still not as reliable as it was in later versions of V8.

This is wrong, and I am surprised that an SC told you this.

There is no way for the driver to know when the front cam is misted up without parking the car and getting out to check. That's why it is automatic.

Autoevolution wrote an article here.

Spoiler:

tesla-autopilot-20-would-be-a-deathtrap-on-wheels-without-this-little-feature_2.jpg

If you are having a problem where the cam area is misted up then discuss it with your SC...

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
well if it is wrong - then it has changed as it certainly used to be the case. I proved it to myself repeatedly on a number of occasions with my previous MS, and on contacting Tesla was repeatedly told that a fix was in the works. tbh I've forgotten about it mostly, but now we're back in to winter it (might) be relevant again.

I'm going to have to stand outside the car on a cold miserable day now to prove it one way or another, thanks @J1mbo ;)

• Love
Reactions: J1mbo
well if it is wrong - then it has changed as it certainly used to be the case. I proved it to myself repeatedly on a number of occasions with my previous MS, and on contacting Tesla was repeatedly told that a fix was in the works. tbh I've forgotten about it mostly, but now we're back in to winter it (might) be relevant again.

Well, the two-stage mode of the defrost button has been part of the HVAC UI since day 1, long before AP and any cameras needing defrosting - first tap directs more air to the vents facing screen, second tap selects maximum fan, maximum heat.

It's possible there's an undocumented effect on the camera's internal defogging. However, it would also be expected that simply defogging the viewing portion of the windscreen more vigorously would indirectly help to defrost the camera - just by the temperature of the glass. So if whatever mechanism was supposed to defrost the camera wasn't working, either due to a defect on the car, a defect of software, or just being under-designed for the job, then double-tapping the defrost button is likely to help even if it isn't directly connected.

I haven't had any issues with 46.2 and I was enjoying the faster lane changes that it brought with it.

Had a nice smooth journey round a good part of the M25 this morning without needing to cancel it once.

... just got 48.12.1 earlier this evening so I guess I'll see what this one brings shortly...

Reactions: J1mbo