Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP not working randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else had any random issues with EAP? about 60% of the time EAP works perfectly. On Highway driving, when there is a slower vehicle in front of me, it makes a signal and moves into a passing lane and then will move back into the regular lane without incident. However increasingly I am having issues with a couple scenarios; even though there are no other cars behind or in passing lanes, the car will come up behind the slower vehicle, slow down by ~10-15 mph and then make the move. In other situations, again, no other cars behind or in passing lanes, will simply come up behind the slower vehicle and sit there without any attempt to pass. All of these scenarios happen on the same trip. I have had a service tech come to the house and didn't seem to know what to do so changed out one of the cameras on the side pillar - that didn't work so they are sending a tech tomorrow to change the other pillar camera - even though the cameras seem to work fine. This seems to be more of a software issue, but I don't see tesla doing anything other than changing hardware - anyone got any ideas?

Yes, it's software. This is "normal". Sometimes it gets into the passing lane much sooner than I would (and actually I'm pretty impressed that it "read" the speed of the upcoming vehicle and anticipated the need to pass). Other times it just seems to hang out as if it didn't see the car until the last minute (and by then it's slowed down enough that it's stuck in the slow lane and getting passed by faster traffic).

It got to the point where I tired of this consistent behavior that I basically gave up on the auto-pass and initiated all lane changes myself (well now I have less of a choice in the matter now that FSD has taken over highway driving and the best I can do is "minimize" lane changes).

But I did notice that when you initiate a lane change yourself, that EAP thinks that you really want to be in the lane that you selected, so it will not initiate any lane changes out of that lane for some time (several minutes at least).

Here is a typical scenario. You are going along. EAP sees a slightly slower car ahead and changes to the passing lane. As you are in the passing lane, a car comes screaming up behind you. Or, maybe there is no other traffic yet, and EAP stays in the passing lane (it likes to do this when there is nobody behind), but then a car does come up fast in the passing lane. Rather than wait for EAP to casually make its way back over to the slow lane, you decide to initiate the lane change yourself (actually I found EAP has gotten pretty good to handling this situation, but still, sometimes you want to be polite). So now you've initiated a lane change to the slow lane and now EAP thinks that you really want to be in that lane. So when you come up on the next car, it refuses to change lanes. So you manually change lanes again to pass the car. And now it thinks you really want to be in the passing lane, so it refuses to get back in the slow lane. So you manually change lanes again. Rinse, lather, repeat. After doing this for about two years, like I said, I finally gave up on it and pretty much have NoA turned off (or had until the update where FSD took over on highways).

I'm not saying this is what's happening in your case, but if you did manually initiate some lane changes, it might be getting "stuck" on your lane preference (it does eventually reset and start changing automatically again, but it does take several minutes). I have seen it have the behavior as you described even without having manually initiated any lane changes. Unfortunately that's the way it works. I don't think there is anything wrong with your cameras.

Interesting about EAP's 'memory' - that did cross my mind that since I used the manual signal to either pass or go back into the driving lane, it would think that's how I wanted it to operate - appreciate the response. My issue is that for the $6k I paid for EAP, nothing I have really works (no auto summon or park either).

Lane changes with Navigate on Autopilot has always been quirky in my experience, which is why I never disabled lane change confirmations. I recently started using FSD Beta on the highway, and although you can’t require confirmation for lane changes, it seems to do a better job with them, though still not perfect.

I have had a service tech come to the house and didn't seem to know what to do so changed out one of the cameras on the side pillar - that didn't work so they are sending a tech tomorrow to change the other pillar camera - even though the cameras seem to work fine.
That's a tech shooting in the dark, hoping for a hit. You'd think there'd be a troubling shooting procedure to determine camera function.

Anyone else had any random issues with EAP? about 60% of the time EAP works perfectly. On Highway driving, when there is a slower vehicle in front of me, it makes a signal and moves into a passing lane and then will move back into the regular lane without incident. However increasingly I am having issues with a couple scenarios; even though there are no other cars behind or in passing lanes, the car will come up behind the slower vehicle, slow down by ~10-15 mph and then make the move. In other situations, again, no other cars behind or in passing lanes, will simply come up behind the slower vehicle and sit there without any attempt to pass. All of these scenarios happen on the same trip. I have had a service tech come to the house and didn't seem to know what to do so changed out one of the cameras on the side pillar - that didn't work so they are sending a tech tomorrow to change the other pillar camera - even though the cameras seem to work fine. This seems to be more of a software issue, but I don't see tesla doing anything other than changing hardware - anyone got any ideas?
I was so happy to see this thread. As far as I can tell in the year-and-a-half I have had my Y, I really believed EVERYTHING in, on, or around a Tesla worked randomly. So pleased to learn EAP is an exception. I'll read it and learn what the the deal is.

Rats! How disappointing. et tu EAP