Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 Cathode & Anode discussion for investors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could this be just for a portion of the battery? Maybe they can then buy that in bulk from CATL's supply chain.
Wasn't there already a rumor that Tesla was going to buy some idle CATL LFP cell manufacturing equipment and set it up in the US? (Presumably so that they get the battery manufacturing credit and that the Model 3 RWD vehicles would qualify for the EV tax credit.)

Jordan is amazing he satisfies my battery geek fix
Does anyone have the current and future gen table along with the mix numbers, 955, etc?
My understanding is the Cybertruck is currently using gen 2 and the hybrid dry cell will be gen 3a this fall
current chem mix is 955 with 973 maybe for the fall
NMC 90% nickel 7% Lithium 3% cobalt closer to no cobalt like LFP

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies

Anyone know the form factor? I couldn’t even find dimensions on the the CATL Qilin CTP 3.0 although it uses 4680 cells and has been shipping for over a year in the Zeekr 009. Curious if anything new will be thin enough to retrofit into an older S/X sled replacement and if so, how the weight and kWh would compare. Tesla is kind of disincentivized to keep those older cars on the road but they took a loss to keep the original roadsters running so who knows. I think the general consensus is that the Tesla 4680 is too tall for such a retrofit.

Last edited: