Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 cell design, chassis integration & factory discussion for investors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is the 4680 cell charge rate worse than 18650 and 2170 cells?
So much possibilities
  • Tesla being conservative for now
  • Chocked thermal path on the bottom (pretty much confirmed for Gen 1, unknown Gen 2
  • Thicker dry pressed anode and cathode had unforeseen impact on charge rate
  • Unknown cell design decision took away charging speed for something else unknown
  • Cooling system isn’t enough to keep the cells cool enough

They should make a range extender pack that uses all that extra space. I wonder if there's a reason they need an air gap between the top of the battery and the interior floor.
I could be wrong, but I think those risers are inside the cab, and allow storage space under the seats. (And for the rear passengers to have their feet extend under the front seats.)

Or are you just referring to the couple inches where the support bars go across the pack? (Which isn't enough space to put another layer of cells.)

They should make a range extender pack that uses all that extra space. I wonder if there's a reason they need an air gap between the top of the battery and the interior floor.
The floor has a layer of styroform under the carpet for noise, thermal, ducting, and flatness.
GUID-6CFB234C-9D45-43E8-8D09-F3433D5B96E9-online-en-US.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think those risers are inside the cab, and allow storage space under the seats. (And for the rear passengers to have their feet extend under the front seats.)

Or are you just referring to the couple inches where the support bars go across the pack? (Which isn't enough space to put another layer of cells.)
They could use 46120 cells and add ribs inside the pack to get back the stiffness lost by removing the trusses on top.
I feel like they must have had a plan on how to get 500 miles of range. I doubt the bed mounted range extender was the original plan.

They could use 46120 cells and add ribs inside the pack to get back the stiffness lost by removing the trusses on top.
I feel like they must have had a plan on how to get 500 miles of range. I doubt the bed mounted range extender was the original plan.
Cross car interior ribs impact cell packing, electrical and cooling connections along with being a mating and integration nightmare.
I'm interested to see the packing arrangement.

Cross car interior ribs impact cell packing, electrical and cooling connections along with being a mating and integration nightmare.
I'm interested to see the packing arrangement.
But a box with no ribs isn’t very structural. It seems like the only advantage of the structural pack is that it’s easier to put the seats in the vehicle. It doesn’t look like it improves packaging much. They’ve simply moved the ribs that were on the bottom of the body to the top of the pack.

But a box with no ribs isn’t very structural. It seems like the only advantage of the structural pack is that it’s easier to put the seats in the vehicle. It doesn’t look like it improves packaging much. They’ve simply moved the ribs that were on the bottom of the body to the top of the pack.
The ribs on top were always there. Check out the 4680 and 2170 Y variants.
Structural removes ribs from inside or under the pack.