Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 cell design, chassis integration & factory discussion for investors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tracking battery availability is admittedly getting very difficult these days with the supply chain widening its sources. But cell capacity for an additional 700k vehicles doesn't sound impossible. Some examples:

• CATL shanghai plant coming online with [80]GWh capacity. I think most of this is going to focused on stationary storage but 10% of that capacity could get enough cells for 100k+vehicles
  • BYD continuing to expand cell capacity at a breakneck pace. Their introduction of Sodium cells into vehicles may free up some LFP capacity for sale to Tesla.
  • Panasonic 4680 production due to start Q2/Q3 2024
  • Joe Tegtmyer said 4 Austin lines are ramping now with another 4 coming online by the end of the year. Additionally, cathode material changes are good for another 10% to 20% from existing lines. Each line is apparently good for c.10GWh/yr at full capacity (before energy density improvements)
Long story short - 700k additional vehicles at 70KWh average pack size is "only" another 49GWh of capacity. There are multiple avenues to reach the needed increase.

I wish we had a reliable YouTuber/Twitterer that worked on global battery supply chain / factory capacity reporting the same as we have for vehicle volumes. Jordan and CleanerWatt both do some of this but none that I can find that look at a total market perspective. This leaves us to cobble together sources from multiple articles.

View attachment 1005664

Super vague ‘start production as early as this year’ when it’s just the fifteenth of January but okay.

Panasonic announces new and improved 2170 chemistry:

My free articles are gone, maybe someone else can get some more information out of it:

Easy to forget 2170s

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and EVCollies