Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid (2s 0-60) uses 18650 cells. These new 18650 cells seem to charge a lot faster than the current 2170s, as well.

I think the 4680s are primarily geared towards increasing range and simplifying manufacturing, but all cells/packs will get better over time. EVs suffer from heavy battery packs so a lighter pack with same 82 kWh capacity should reduce 0-60 times a bit.

Plaid (2s 0-60) uses 18650 cells. These new 18650 cells seem to charge a lot faster than the current 2170s, as well.

I think the 4680s are primarily geared towards increasing range and simplifying manufacturing, but all cells/packs will get better over time. EVs suffer from heavy battery packs so a lighter pack with same 82 kWh capacity should reduce 0-60 times a bit.
The battery day presentation showed a graph with the charging speed of 4680 tabbed and tabless v 2170 (I think), and they showed that tabless was needed to just about match 2170 charging.

But 4680+structural should lead to a density increase and weight reduction that would help make it a bit better.

The battery day image shows the 4680 as having more energy, range, and power. With the front casting and structural battery pack configuration coming out of Austin, weight can also be reduced up to ~10%. Between all those factors, it is safe to say that if Tesla wants to make the Y quicker, they can. The big question is will they give it a bump, and if so, how much will they kick it up.

Tesla-4680-Battery-cell-hero-e1603050647892.jpg

If this is a new mode for existing priced cars, then its intriguing. But having a higher priced P and LR seems like a non-starter, they're already at the upper edge of the value equation IMO.
Not sure about that, I think a v2 MYP or M3P with increased range closer to 375 with a bump in 0-60 and quarter mile times and air suspension would be something I would go for, even if priced in mid 75-85 without FSD.

Not sure about that, I think a v2 MYP or M3P with increased range closer to 375 with a bump in 0-60 and quarter mile times and air suspension would be something I would go for, even if priced in mid 75-85 without FSD.
Seems highly improbable they'd bump the range, acceleration boost is likely doable with software on the MYP as it already has a motor improvement over the YLR, no disagreement on suspension.

$85k would be ridiculous for the Y IMHO but different strokes...

My guess was that it would replace the p in the lineup, but really its impossible to know right now. Tesla tend to favor fewer trims, though.
True, its just speculation of course.

My thought process is given the low ratio of Performance to Y in the registry here, I don't believe there is a large enough addressable market to support a "Super MYP" . Personally I'd just go up to the S or even the X if a MYP didn't tick all the boxes for me.

Reactions: jsight
True, its just speculation of course.

My thought process is given the low ratio of Performance to Y in the registry here, I don't believe there is a large enough addressable market to support a "Super MYP" . Personally I'd just go up to the S or even the X if a MYP didn't tick all the boxes for me.
There was mention of a MYPV2 a while back in September, speculation with carbon wrapped motors to increase quarter mile specs.

But we shall see.

Reactions: Corndart