Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 Model Ys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't found any recent information on when the "Hive Mind" thinks these will ship in the US. What indication do we have on when we will see 4680 Model Ys shipping in the US?
I am hoping sooner than later! My MYP delivery date seems to be swaying as new Giga factory and 4680 news spikes and dips, so I am hopeful. It was December when they were hoping to get 4680's by the end of 2021. Then Jan/Feb, now it's March!

Many reports indicate that they are going to start with 4680 batteries in the MYP. Then the Cybertruck and Semis when they hit the road. The latest news is that Pepsico may get Semis as early as the end of January, but they are always overly optimistic with their goals.

For MYLR, not as much news. It looks like the Texas facility is going to be focusing on Model Y production, and they have a massive line going in to manufacture 4680 cells. So it's possible.

Many reports indicate that they are going to start with 4680 batteries in the MYP. Then the Cybertruck and Semis when they hit the road.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can tell, it's mostly perpetuated rumors and wishful thinking from the MYP-in-waiting folks. Musk says he won't start another production line unless there's enough batteries so can't imagine CT production happening until after M3 and MY are built with 4680s and 4680 production counts are above and beyond current needs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can tell, it's mostly perpetuated rumors and wishful thinking from the MYP-in-waiting folks. Musk says he won't start another production line unless there's enough batteries so can't imagine CT production happening until after M3 and MY are built with 4680s and 4680 production counts are above and beyond current needs.
You're probably right... but since i am an "MYP-in-waiting" folk... I will defend my ignorance and biased perspective!!!

So, I also have a MYP on order (EDD March) - current M3P owner.

Will the MY 4680's with structural battery packs and large cast body frames actually be an upgrade? or will they be a way for Tesla to increase profit margins and volume?

I've read all about the 4680's and it appears this is a chance for Tesla to increase the speed of production, lower cost and 'potentially' increase range, performance and charging capabilities. But why not keep stats the same and make more $$?

Reactions: cusetownusa
who knows. September? October?
There are no “reports” YP’s will be produced with them soon. Just wishful thinking from those with looming EDDs who may not even get AMD chips. Sooo much rumor.
And even “reports” aren’t especially accurate. Some reports said we’d have Y’s rolling out of Austin weeks ago, other reports said AMDs would be in everything by this point.
Nope
Still not sure there actually are even AMD cars out there yet, reports just so thin and strange.
Now we’re days away from mid-January... where’s the production? Austin drone videos look just like last month.

Will the MY 4680's with structural battery packs and large cast body frames actually be an upgrade? or will they be a way for Tesla to increase profit margins and volume?

I've read all about the 4680's and it appears this is a chance for Tesla to increase the speed of production, lower cost and 'potentially' increase range, performance and charging capabilities. But why not keep stats the same and make more $$?
Disclaimer: I'm biased! I have a MYP for march too. My opinion is it's both. It is an upgrade, and Tesla will increase profits (eventually).

4680 will allow charging to 100%. It's also has a higher capacity, so even though they will not be increasing the range, it will make the car lighter which may increase speed, handling and even make it ride a bit smoother too.

In the far, far, far future, it may result in a lower price too. But, it's not like Tesla is going to absorb the price of all the R&D and production line set up and pass the savings directly to the consumer. It doesn't take hundreds or thousands to produce a drug or cell phone, the price is determined by a lot of other factors. They'll likely throw a few upgrades to make it appear like they are offsetting the cost. They have already started offering more colours at no additional cost for certain models.

That's my guess at least.

Reactions: SWIPE and Puku88
Disclaimer: I'm biased! I have a MYP for march too. My opinion is it's both. It is an upgrade, and Tesla will increase profits (eventually).

4680 will allow charging to 100%. It's also has a higher capacity, so even though they will not be increasing the range, it will make the car lighter which may increase speed, handling and even make it ride a bit smoother too.

In the far, far, far future, it may result in a lower price too. But, it's not like Tesla is going to absorb the price of all the R&D and production line set up and pass the savings directly to the consumer. It doesn't take hundreds or thousands to produce a drug or cell phone, the price is determined by a lot of other factors. They'll likely throw a few upgrades to make it appear like they are offsetting the cost. They have already started offering more colours at no additional cost for certain models.

That's my guess at least.
Musk had said he expected 18% increase in range in his original introduction of the idea, if I am not mistken.

Reactions: SWIPE
Musk had said he expected 18% increase in range in his original introduction of the idea, if I am not mistken.
it is more complicated than that. It COULD be 18 percent (absolute best case, lab conditions). Or they could cut the size of battery pack and it be the same range.
Unlikely maybe, but my personal belief is it will be a compromise between more range and less weight. Because why not improve several stats when you can?

Reactions: DonaldBecker

Yah, it will be an upgrade, just unclear in what ways. The ever hopeful rumor mill here keeps making people think they will get the maximum weight loss possible AND the maximum range increase possible and all kinds of other stuff, including a pony. But yes, it will be better. And also easier, cheaper and faster for Tesla to build because that’s how their approach to doing things works....

Reactions: Puku88
My wishful thinking hopes the MYs from both Austin and Fremont will be using 4680 cells starting this month. When reality bites there is probably only a 50% chance that will be the case, but 50% is a lot better than 0%.

Yah, it will be an upgrade, just unclear in what ways. The ever hopeful rumor mill here keeps making people think they will get the maximum weight loss possible AND the maximum range increase possible and all kinds of other stuff, including a pony. But yes, it will be better. And also easier, cheaper and faster for Tesla to build because that’s how their approach to doing things works....

Well, at least I was forward thinking enough to include the Tow package to be able to haul my new Pony around ;)

I love my M3P, really only switching to a MYP to have more cargo room and real world practicality - honestly if the 4680's increase range and performance, it would be amazing. M3P advertised range of 305 is more like 200 in the summer and 150 in the winter up here in MN,

• Funny
Reactions: advocate8
Well, at least I was forward thinking enough to include the Tow package to be able to haul my new Pony around ;)

I love my M3P, really only switching to a MYP to have more cargo room and real world practicality - honestly if the 4680's increase range and performance, it would be amazing. M3P advertised range of 305 is more like 200 in the summer and 150 in the winter up here in MN,
Im making exactly the 3p to Y switch for exactly the same reasons. This should be a red flag for you. Time for cognitive function test.

• Funny
Reactions: Wigan and Puku88