Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2024 new range estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your "article" is based on a "guy" on twitter, who in turn is speculating or even "misleading"
Few more for you. Hope you can read English. Sorry could not find a german one.

• Funny
Reactions: TimothyHW3
You won’t convince him with that. And anyway, Tesla will never say publicly outside of leaks (which is where yahoo finance says they got their data, second hand).

This conversation is meaningless until someone gets one of the cars and actually figures out what the pack part number is. That’s the only way we get this settled once and for all.

The above article indicates that Tesla stated in the emails that it was an EPA change (on top of the "comfort" functions, which could just mean anything, including parts swaps, interior lighting, or just about anything).

The simple fact is that no Tesla can reach the claimed range even new. On my 2 Y's I never got the claimed range, not even close. Other EV's meet or exceed the range. I drove an I3 for a while and it got the rated range. Also had a Taycan for a short bit and easily exceeded the rated range. I currently have a R1T and have beat the rated range by 5-10 miles at various times not using conserve mode.

My understanding is that Tesla never calculated range in sport or normal mode and used chill mode only where other use a combined rating from all modes. Rivian for example uses all purpose and sport for range rating and leaves conserve out. I believe Porsche also does this.

What we really need are the following ratings for milage on all cars:

Max range at 100% SOC
Max range at 100% SOC after 3 years
Max range at 80% SOC new.

Reactions: Daekwan
Correct, none of them are reflected on the Model Y. Send me the link where the EPA tested the Model Y, it is public information and easily available...

No, they have to test it and publish it. "Goto" 1 above...

Ok, so you really have no idea what you are talking about...

That’s not how testing is done most of the time. The manufacturers “do the test” and submit it for approval at the EPA. The EPA only checks to make sure their testing methodologies are in line with the guidelines they set out. That means Tesla always has all the numbers it needs to make necessary changes to EPA’s numbers.

So you’re saying you can’t trust what Tesla says, but you’re fine with random redditors?

Right now you're just spinning in circles.

I guess there’s no point in participating in this thread anymore. I’m out.

That’s not how testing is done most of the time. The manufacturers “do the test” and submit it for approval at the EPA.
No, the EPA test the cars themselves of course. Only EPA's own tests are reflected on the sticker Tag on the websites... Crazy ideas you guys have...
"EPA tests vehicles by running them through a series of driving routines, also called cycles or schedules, that specify vehicle speed for each point in time during the laboratory tests."

Manufacturers could lower their EPA rating at will if they feel like it is below what EPA would test, but without an actual EPA rating, why would they do it?
And why would Tesla do this on select models with exactly the same Battery manufacturer and not on others with different batteries?!

Last edited:
Also who knew the foremost expert on the United States environmental protection agency lives in Germany.
So when it doesn't work with facts, you bring ad hominem?! What does "living" somewhere got to do with anything? And if you juuust check out my profile, you will see that I have a pretty good background on EPA and how it works, including reading the actual documents and following the capacities the EPA tested and finding clues about soft locks, different packs and pack numbers...
Hope you can read English. Sorry could not find a german one.
It seems far better than you can...Please re-read my previous post and take notes and stop posting this...

Surely they are not putting less energy dense batteries in their flagship model.
It is not about less "energy dense", but about less cells in a pack. But we are talking about Model Y here, yes. Tesla could reduce the battery packs at will on any models. They have done this in the past with the LR Model 3 and not with the P Model 3 which got the far denser Panasonic 82kWh batteries, while the LR version got the old 77,8kWh Panasonic and then the 78,8kWh LGs and then it was removed in the US all together (most likely, because it was pain to ship all these LGs from Korea), but it was still being sold in Europe and China.

Last edited:
The above article indicates that Tesla stated in the emails that it was an EPA change (on top of the "comfort" functions, which could just mean anything, including parts swaps, interior lighting, or just about anything).
The above "article" is a copy paste from the old one, with a reference to the tweet I just posted yesterday, BEFORE the actual "article". So if you read the thread in its entirety, you will see that your "article" just came out after information on this thread...Or if you followed the person on Twitter, you would stll be ahead of the "article"...

So I can just, again, reference what I said here:

And the second part of your question was discussed on the previous page:

Read it and share your thoughts why Tesla is not disclosing or even advertising these "AMAZING" comfort functions, that will result in % range reduction.

Also on the other question: why didn't the RWD Y rating change when it is basically the same exact car as the LR minus the batteries?

Last edited:
It is not about less "energy dense", but about less cells in a pack. But we are talking about Model Y here, yes. Tesla could reduce the battery packs at will on any models. They have done this in the past with the LR Model 3 and not with the P Model 3 which got the far denser Panasonic 82kWh batteries, while the LR version got the old 77,8kWh Panasonic and then the 78,8kWh LGs and then it was removed in the US all together (most likely, because it was pain to ship all these LGs from Korea), but it was still being sold in Europe and ChiChina
So less cells in the Plaid now?.... You are very careful with your wording, I give you that. But it is ok to just say 'I don't know' every now and then.

say 'I don't know' every now and then.
Did I say "I know" anywhere?! This is a forum, we speculate.

I was pretty right when I suggested in the first post that Tesla did change something, wasn't I? For them to confirm that right away.
While all the time the talking heads were screaming "EPA", "EPA", "nothing changed" and "articles"... (my guess is batteries as no "comfort" feature will give you that much of a downgrade, regardless of how many times the EPA changes their methods. I could be wrong of course, but it all points that way - especially when only the US based battery models got the downgrade)

If you have a better guess, go ahead. So far nobody has answered the main questions

1) Why not the chinese/korean made cells/batteries?
2) Why not disclose these amaaazing "comfort features"( bull talk we heard in the past from Tesla...) that are soo important and great, that will give you less range?(even if it is 1% less range...)

Care to answer one of the two?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
Didn't the LR S go from 402 to 405? after this UPDATE? How is that possible?
That is also a very good question as the EPA testing should actually deliever lower range across the board. Also the 21" got 7 miles more! Add it to my other two questions and the picture becomes clearer.

My estimate would be more capacity added (brought back capacity actually, the LR S used to have 100kWh before they lowered it to about 95kWh), which should cancel any EPA changes that could bring the range lower. Tesla and Musk in particular are crazy about range so if their top model is reduced to something like 370miles it wouldn't look that good so they brought more capacity on the LR S and removed some capacity from the rest of the models.

That would be my guess.

Musk is also crazy about Lucid (remember his 69,420 Price on the S once the Air was announced?) and is mad at Peter Rawlinson and the Lucid Air about 410 miles so if their top of the line range car has something like 370-380 miles it wouldn't look good at all.

Last edited:
Nobody has directly mentioned the real change. The testing must include the effects of all "latch" modes, chill, normal, and sport, modes that remain engaged when the car is turned off and back on. Best case and worst case are averaged. I doubt that sport mode was averaged in in previous EPA numbers.

Reactions: Daekwan
Nobody has directly mentioned the real change. The testing must include the effects of all "latch" modes, chill, normal, and sport, modes that remain engaged when the car is turned off and back on. Best case and worst case are averaged. I doubt that sport mode was averaged in in previous EPA numbers.
Model Y Long Range doesn't have a Sport mode. Tesla could also change the accelerator response to get better efficiency if you are light on the pedal. So there's more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.