Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2024 new range estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, I love that we've gotten to the end of this and the answer is "who knows".

I haven't seen any reports of MY orders getting an email saying they need to change their order (though I suppose they could just still be coming).

They also announced that Creep/Roll is going away for new cars, but not existing ones. There is some evidence pointing to a change in hardware, but none of it is substantial enough until someone actually gets one of those cars and runs diagnostics on it.

The only thing we know for certain is that
  1. the EPA range calculations did change
  2. Creep/Roll is being removed, and there was talk that it was related to (1)
  3. The Model Y LR and Performance batteries are still produced in the US with appropriately sourced minerals

Your “facts” are wrong.

The LG cells are made in China.
Haha, ok a Korean company makes the "cells" in China... Did you read that sentence twice? The LG cells are made by LG in Korea, the batteries are assembled in USA and in China for the different models. They are then shipped to Europe or made in USA or China for the local markets...

Why do people insist on "correcting" others when they have no idea what they are talking about?!

Ryzen MCU has been used since 2022 and does not contribute to a reduction in range. I have a 2022 3 LR with Ryzen, Panasonic battery, and 358mi EPA est.
It actually does, with the introduction of Ryzen, no other change in 2022 the Ryzen cars got 20km less in Europe. It was the Ryzen that made the difference, because it uses about 150W more.
Tesla also changed the Panasonic battery in 2022 by giving 5kWh more on some models this is why the range estimate was 358 miles then reduced then changed again (I believe P and LR used Panasonic back then. In Europe it was P with 82kWh Pana and then later LR)

Panasonic cells used by S/X are different than 3/Y. S/X uses 18650 cells and are made by Panasonic in Japan. 3/Y uses 2170 cells made by Panasonic at Giga Nevada.

Bravo, you just got one fact correct. Something that is not being discussed at the moment, AT ALL!

Last edited:
I haven't seen any reports of MY orders getting an email saying they need to change their order (though I suppose they could just still be coming).
You will not see any, because the MY is not production constrained, but sales constraint. Everyone who had an order got their car. There might be a few who haven't, but out of the few, how many will "post their emails"?!

Plus, the person posting about this is a known Tesla shill...Just like that he started reporting on these miraculous EPA changes, a few days before Tesla changes the website with their estimates. THEN gets quoted all over the Internet...And just like that brings out a customer email for an X (even though these sell in ridiculously small numbers)...

You don't have to be conspiracy theorists to see that...

The only thing we know for certain is that
  1. the EPA range calculations did change
  2. Creep/Roll is being removed, and there was talk that it was related to (1)
  3. The Model Y LR and Performance batteries are still produced in the US with appropriately sourced minerals
Sure, and we also know a few other things:
1. Tesla didn't change the EPA range on the Y RWD model with batteries imported from abroad.
2. Didn't change the 3 range even though the EPA "supposedly" change their calculations for all cars? How come? And the 3 doesn't qualify as it uses LG and CATL cells.
3. Only cars with batteries from the USA seem to be "affected" by this change. Crazy, right, physics work only on US made batteries...
4. Tesla made these AMAZING comfort changes that affect all batteries and sizes and even across weight differences in the cars the same exact % (again, physics will disagree), but doesn't share what these changes are?!

If you put your 3 next to my 4, then you get a pretty nice picture of what is actually going on...

Also, creep and roll was removed in Europe with highland, a long time ago. This is definetely related to more EPA range. Tesla removed the regen settings a few years back for the same reason.

Reactions: enemji
No, it is not, stop repeating it. If it was - we would have new EPA tests(we don't) and it would be for all models(not select ones)

Can people start thinking for themselves nowadays and stop repeating stuff they half-read on the internet?
1704566661823.png

Reactions: enemji
You just reposted something without understanding what you reposted. I was talking about actual EPA test of the vehicle, not some random letter...

Here is the EPA data and as you can see no new EPA tests conducted

330 miles

I can only repeat myself so many times - please don't reply or comment with things you don't understand...

Some models went up, some models went down, some stayed the same. See link on previous post for a pretty good explanation:
No, you didn't asnwer his question - if the EPA changed their procedures ALL cars should receive new EPA estimates. Model 3 didn't. Model 3 is the only car that uses mostly imported batteries and doesn't qualify for the TAX break. Nothing "went up, went down".

Only *Specific* models went down and these *specific* models all share the same US based batteries.

That video you posted doesn't answer this question and the person in that video doesn't seem knowladgable, but is quoting random tweets...

How hard it is for you guys to understand that range isn't just a magical figure, but is mostly based on the capacity of the battery? And that 10% reduction across all models, even though different weights and sometimes even battery sizes, is just plain not plausible, if there wasn't any significant change in the specification (like less battery capacity which is exactly the same amount across the affected models)

It all points to one direction - Tesla cutting cost/and/or Panasonic not being able to provide enough cells...There is hardly any other plausible explanation...

Haha, ok a Korean company makes the "cells" in China... Did you read that sentence twice? The LG cells are made by LG in Korea, the batteries are assembled in USA and in China for the different models. They are then shipped to Europe or made in USA or China for the local markets...
Yes. The cells are made by LG Chem in a factory located Nanjing China, which is relatively close to Tesla’s factory in Shanghai where the pack is assembled. LG does make cells in Korea too of course but their Nanjing plant has more production capacity than their Korea plant.

Why is it so hard to believe a Korean company would make batteries in China? All major companies are multinational these days.

Tesla itself is an American company making cars in China.

No, you didn't asnwer his question - if the EPA changed their procedures ALL cars should receive new EPA estimates. Model 3 didn't. Model 3 is the only car that uses mostly imported batteries and doesn't qualify for the TAX break. Nothing "went up, went down".

Only *Specific* models went down and these *specific* models all share the same US based batteries.

That video you posted doesn't answer this question and the person in that video doesn't seem knowladgable, but is quoting random tweets...

How hard it is for you guys to understand that range isn't just a magical figure, but is mostly based on the capacity of the battery? And that 10% reduction across all models, even though different weights and sometimes even battery sizes, is just plain not plausible, if there wasn't any significant change in the specification (like less battery capacity which is exactly the same amount across the affected models)

It all points to one direction - Tesla cutting cost/and/or Panasonic not being able to provide enough cells...There is hardly any other plausible explanation...
The affected models do not all use the same batteries.

Model 3 did not change because Highland has not launched in the US yet and it is expected this quarter.

What you are proposing makes zero logical sense. Tesla has zero reason to suddenly reduce the battery of the Model Y.

he cells are made by LG Chem in a factory located Nanjing China,
These are not the ones shipped to the US, but for the China cars shipped to Europe. The US based came from Korea....

"LG Chem has already added production lines in South Korea this year mainly to meet demand from Tesla's U.S. plant, the people said. "

Model 3 did not change because Highland has not launched in the US yet and it is expected this quarter.
Nope, false. Not even close. By that same logic Juniper Model Y, which launches in Q2/Q3 shouldn't have an EPA rate change either as Tesla will wait for the Y to come out. Not how logic works.

Also, if EPA changes the rating from 2024 and Tesla is so urgent to change the rating because the "EPA forced them", they MUST change all EPA rating for all models...They however, did not and changed the EPA rating ONLY!!! on US based battery models.

What you are proposing makes zero logical sense. Tesla has zero reason to suddenly reduce the battery of the Model Y.
Ok, so you just posted something that makes negative logical sense and simultaniously said that my very logical and in-depth explained conclusion has "zero logical sense"?! It actually makes a lot of sense, if you are cell-constrained OR/AND need/have to reduce costs, which Tesla is 90% of the time.

They also didn't reduce it on the Model Y, but across the board FOR ALL, AND ONLY ALL, US based batteries...That is basically the definition of logic right here...

Why is it so crazy for you guys to believe that Tesla might have cell production issues or cost reduction? We are talking about Tesla here, they have done stunts like this at least 10 times in the last 3 years...

Last edited:
I'm just glad the specs are getting more in line with reality.

I was at a SC and it asked me to charge to 100% (no lie) for the final leg of my trip. I only went to 99%, but 100% predicted 310mi ('21 MYLR), which is probably fair in ideal conditions

I was at a SC and it asked me to charge to 100% (no lie) for the final leg of my trip. I only went to 99%, but 100% predicted 310mi
The 310 miles you see next to the battery is your capacity. This is just your normal degradation from a 21 model as the battery display is direct representation of kWh in miles over a specific "Tesla" formula that reverts kWh to Miles.

For estimated range you have to go to "Energy" - then consumption and play with the last 10/20 miles etc. to estimate your range. Also the car will show you with how many % you will get to your destination - this is your range.

The number you see next to battery, the 310, is not range "per se" and you should not use it for anything else other than calculating it to kWh...

But this is a bit off topic, just reasearch your car a little more, there are a lot of interesting posts here on the topic of kWh to miles conversion you see in your battery range.

The 310 miles you see next to the battery is your capacity. This is just your normal degradation from a 21 model as the battery display is direct representation of kWh in miles over a specific "Tesla" formula that reverts kWh to Miles.

For estimated range you have to go to "Energy" - then consumption and play with the last 10/20 miles etc. to estimate your range. Also the car will show you with how many % you will get to your destination - this is your range.

The number you see next to battery, the 310, is not range "per se" and you should not use it for anything else other than calculating it to kWh...

But this is a bit off topic, just reasearch your car a little more, there are a lot of interesting posts here on the topic of kWh to miles conversion you see in your battery range.
I've had the car for over 2 years, I'm well aware of battery deg. and have plenty of posts about it.

My comment is more about revising the range numbers to something more in line with reality.

Teslas range numbers have always been optimistic. It's better to under promise and over deliver than the opposite

Teslas range numbers have always been optimistic. It's better to under promise and over deliver than the opposite
No, the Tesla range numbers are 1:1 from EPA. Neither optimistic, nor realistic, it is what EPA tested and they put it on the sticker. If you live in California or in Holland you can actually get these EPA estimates 99% of the year in real world driving. I am hitting the EPA estimates 60% of the time. The numbers are as realistic as the EPA test. And when you talk about "reality" which reality, yours, the guy in Germany driving 150mph, or the guy in Holland doing 60mph tops ... This is why we have EPA... Sorry, but no you have way more to learn I am afraid... And off topic.

Let's discuss possible battery change, maybe someone is expecting a Model Y delivery and can read the BMS via the OBD? Then we will know.

No, the Tesla range numbers are 1:1 from EPA. Neither optimistic, nor realistic, it is what EPA tested and they put it on the sticker. If you live in California or in Holland you can actually get these EPA estimates 99% of the year in real world driving. I am hitting the EPA estimates 60% of the time. The numbers are as realistic as the EPA test. And when you talk about "reality" which reality, yours, the guy in Germany driving 150mph, or the guy in Holland doing 60mph tops ... This is why we have EPA... Sorry, but no you have way more to learn I am afraid... And off topic.

Let's discuss possible battery change, maybe someone is expecting a Model Y delivery and can read the BMS via the OBD? Then we will know.

When I speak of reality, I'm talking about the independent tests "everyone" does
They consistently show tesla slightly optimistic and Porsche heavily pessimistic on range.

I'm not arguing what they base it off of (it is what it is and tests can be gamed), I'm arguing real world performance.

This thread is about revised range estimates (with the same battery?, it still qualifies for 7500 credit). All I'm saying is I welcome more realistic range numbers.

If it were up to me, range would be based on a "standard day", clearly defined in engineering, at 70mph. IMHO the time range really matters in when you're on a road trip, not daily trips at 45mph around town.

Reactions: Daekwan
WTF? Where do people get the facts from? From you? Its in the news every where but Mr. Einstein has a different opinion.
People get "facts" from the source. In this case EPA. EPA for once hasn't posted any new data for the models in your "article". Your "article" is based on a "guy" on twitter, who in turn is speculating or even "misleading"( he is a very pro Tesla person if you follow the news...). Your "article" is just copying verbatim what he said without even questioning (something we do on this forum, by bringing actual facts)

So "people" should learn to question said "articles", look at the facts(at hand and listed here) and try to understand what is going on. Sometimes, things are a bit subtle so you have to know the background of the people involved, have tracked Tesla on stuff like this etc.

Your "article" was just debunked by the same guy they first quoted - Tesla changed the specs of the car. To what and how, it is a matter of this discussion , but the "article" you quoted was proven false.

And "people"/you should really understand that articles nowadays are just random dudes copying stuff from forums, twitter and reddit to make clickbait... Most of the people writing the articles are illiterate morons...
You don't have to be "Einstein", just a basic common sense should be enough. Sorry if this comes up from the "high horse" to you, but your way of phrasing was pretty aggressive for someone who doesn't really understand anything about anything...

• Disagree
Reactions: Mikedfw
Status
Not open for further replies.