Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 Model Ys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Teslarati on Oct 5, 2021,
Tesla’s Model Y Performance variant, which is the fastest available configuration of the all-electric crossover, is nearly sold out for 2021.

The online configuration studio has been stating Feb 21 - Mar 21 for the YP, at least since November.

I'd be interested to know if anyone on the forum knows of even any MYPs delivered after the end of the year??

The online configuration studio currently reads August 2022 for the MYLR.
No, it reads December for MYLR base with 19’s.

Structural’s not the right word (different configuration that’s not cosmetic/insignificant?), but they have the Uberturbine wheels. Not sure if there’s anything else different from the LR but I would imagine there’s something with the wheels that would need testing. I’ll be honest I don’t know the ins and outs of the cars, just talking as a quality manager.
There are NO structural differences between the MYP and the MYLR. Both are built on the same chassis.
There are configuration differences between the two, that's all.

Standard wheels and tires are different, there's a minor suspension difference, the rear axle motor is different (front is the same). That's pretty much it.
Both use the same kWh rated battery pack, and all other options are shared - either can have them.

If they were genuinely interested to maximally accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy, they'd be building a $25,000 car.
Most companies start out with lofty ideals and once the bean counters come in, those goals seem to be modified somewhat (fade). Why do they introduce the more expensive models first? Bean counters lobbying for the stockholders. If the extreme demand allows them to keep selling more expensive cars for a greater profit for the stockholders, there is little motivation to use limited natural resources and chips to make a cheaper car with a smaller profit margin. Guess what bean counters win. Own a Tesla and TSLA stock for a WIN-WIN.
This just isn't true. The thing that is limiting Tesla is growing their capital base and developing engineering capacity. It takes about the same capital and engineering to make a $55k car as it does to make a $25k car. But you make a lot more profit on the $55k car. As a car company grows it's capital and engineering, they move down scale because they can no longer sell all of the expensive cars at good margin. If Tesla was trying to make a million Roadsters next year, or even Model S's, they couldn't sell them. The 3/Y is the current sweet spot. As that market starts to saturate, they will put out a cheaper car to continue the march to sustainable energy.

Everything about availability of 4680 cell battery packs is based on speculation. Nothing is set yet. The latest earnings call, last Wednesday, didn't really tell us anything of substance. Basically limited to the Kato Road facility is producing packs everyday! (But nothing on when they will show up in cars). l I do not know of anything from credible sources gives us anything more. There have been sightings of car body(ies) in Austin that are designed for the structural packs, but there is a structural pack based on the current cells as well. The later would be a backup plan if they can't get the 4680 packs into production quickly enough.

With 400 lb reduced weight the 0-60 should be about 9% quicker so ~4.4s for the mylr. That's roughly what the $2k acceleration boost option did. (Assuming it doesn't get throttled so it can be unlocked for a fee).

That 400 lb. reduction was with front and rear megacast with the 4680. That was before the Y transitioned to rear megacast. So it won't be a 400 lb. reduction.

It will be lighter, we just don't know how much lighter as it all depends on how Tesla sets up the Y with the 4680.

Reactions: advocate8
That 400 lb. reduction was with front and rear megacast with the 4680. That was before the Y transitioned to rear megacast. So it won't be a 400 lb. reduction.

It will be lighter, we just don't know how much lighter as it all depends on how Tesla sets up the Y with the 4680.
Ah, good point. It will be interesting to see if a new spec appears at some point, although that would give the game away :)

You can point this out as many times as you want, but someone always seems to pop up a day later saying there will be 400 or 500 lbs of new weight savings AND 16 percent more battery capacity etc etc. It’s like trying to control kudzu, in the end just not worth the effort.

This just isn't true. The thing that is limiting Tesla is growing their capital base and developing engineering capacity. It takes about the same capital and engineering to make a $55k car as it does to make a $25k car. But you make a lot more profit on the $55k car. As a car company grows it's capital and engineering, they move down scale because they can no longer sell all of the expensive cars at good margin. If Tesla was trying to make a million Roadsters next year, or even Model S's, they couldn't sell them. The 3/Y is the current sweet spot. As that market starts to saturate, they will put out a cheaper car to continue the march to sustainable energy.
Totally agree. As you so aptly stated my point. "As a car company grows its capital and engineering, they move downscale because they can no longer sell all of the expensive cars at good margin." The goal NOW is to grow capital and engineering skills and become the most efficient automaker in the world. I am not criticizing it, it's just not maximally accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. Maximally accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy would be getting a $25,000 car to as many people as possible. They are following a business model which is the smartest thing to do right now for them and for their shareholders (me).

And I would submit that Tesla's approach is revolutionary. Car companies generally do not move downscale. They move upscale. Lincoln came after Ford, Cadilac came after Chevrolet, Audi came after Volkswagen, even Genesis came after Hyundai. They get started with the masses and establish their name and then look to increase their margins with a better quality vehicle.

What Tesla needs to be aware of is the approaching competition. As I said here before, when you can get a Kia EV6 crossover SUV with a 240-mile range which, with the $7500 rebate (end of the year, of course), will be $28,800 out the door including tax and license, Tesla might not win the race to the bottom, unless of course, Musk convinces the bean counters to lower the prices and profits on all of his cars, as a result of factory and production efficiencies. I think not. Especially when your entry-level vehicle is $45,000. Eventually, the expensive market is going to be satiated. Granted Tesla has FSD and a national network, but all that the teens I see at the drive-through and other young adults want, is to own a Tesla, and at their wages, it ain't gonna happen for a long time, or they will settle for whoever else has an EV in their price range.

You can point this out as many times as you want, but someone always seems to pop up a day later saying there will be 400 or 500 lbs of new weight savings AND 16 percent more battery capacity etc etc. It’s like trying to control kudzu, in the end just not worth the effort.

Starting to get that feeling..... People get way too caught up in the hype and they go way overboard in wondering if they should delay their orders, put them on hold, cancel their orders, etc thinking this change will drastically alter how the vehicle is. It will be a modest improvement, but not one worth the hoops they are trying to jump through to justify their actions.

Starting to get that feeling..... People get way too caught up in the hype and they go way overboard in wondering if they should delay their orders, put them on hold, cancel their orders, etc thinking this change will drastically alter how the vehicle is. It will be a modest improvement, but not one worth the hoops they are trying to jump through to justify their actions.
Not a single one of them would be able to tell the difference. It’s also a sure bet as much complaining as there has been about panel gaps etc that Fremont’s quality has improved quite a bit and cars out of Austin could be spotty for awhile. On the paint, who knows.

Not a single one of them would be able to tell the difference. It’s also a sure bet as much complaining as there has been about panel gaps etc that Fremont’s quality has improved quite a bit and cars out of Austin could be spotty for awhile. On the paint, who knows.
I took delivery of a MYLR 2 weeks ago after 7 months on the queue. Fremont build.
I can tell you the fit/finish, ride quality, and paint is much improved over the test articles I drove last June.
Panel gaps are consistent. Paint is a consistent orange-peel without ripples and has full coverage. Nothing peeling off or soft spots.
The suspension is better than I remember, very smooth on smooth roadways but prone to some jiggling on rough patches. But not jarring and no creaks or groans.
Not to say it can't stand some improvement, and I'm still on that fence. But I know what to do, and there are more options coming aftermarket that I've spoken with personally.

Reactions: advocate8
Probably true but people did pay 2k for the Acceleration boost option and this should give at least half that if the power to the motors isn't reduced. So it is a change in specification. I'm not losing sleep over it though. (my west coast mylr with tow and white interior got pushed from March to June just before Christmas so I expect it'll be a Fremont post-retool version which should be the same as Austin).