Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5/32 tread depth on 12850 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just replaced my Michelins mxm that had 27k (lifetime wh was 240 over 8 seasons here in Indiana) on them. Was down to 2/32 all around. I never rotated…not even once. Go figure. Went with conti dws06 plus. Was between those and pirelli pzero elects but contis were cheaper (900 vs 1075) and reviews were “similar” between the two. Happy with these and def more confident driving now. Started to slip a little in the rain so it was time.
I think I might do the Dws06 when it comes time to change, I’ve heard good things

How did you get the credit through continental?
I called continental and explained the situation. They said there was no tread wear warranty on OEM tires, and that cars like teslas are very hard on tires. He offered me 50% off any other set of continentals as a customer loyalty gesture. I had to have them inspected at a local tire center for wear and rotation first.

I seem to be on track to reach about 50,000 miles on the OEM tires if I run them to 2/32", though if I replace them at the beginning of a rainy season if they are under 4/32", the mileage is likely to be around 40,000 miles at that time. I.e. the OEM tires were at 5/32" at about 25,000 miles.

I do notice at each rotation (approximately 6,250 miles between each) that the rear tires wear faster than the front tires.

Unlike most on these forums, I drive in a way that gets EPA economy / range or better when there is nothing on the roof rack. That was true for the previous cars that I have had, and I have generally gotten the advertised treadwear out of tires on those previous cars as well. It seems that driving habits that result in high electricity or fuel consumption also result in high tire consumption.

I called continental and explained the situation. They said there was no tread wear warranty on OEM tires, and that cars like teslas are very hard on tires. He offered me 50% off any other set of continentals as a customer loyalty gesture. I had to have them inspected at a local tire center for wear and rotation first.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Did you then purchase them directly from continental or go through a tires shop?

It was called Pro Tire. Not sure if it's a chain. The rep from Continental simply asked my zip code and suggested a shop in my area. I think the only requirement was that they be an authorized Continental dealer. The store had nothing at all to do with it. They had no clue what I was asking for until they called Continental and gave them my case number. The deal was 100% brokered by Continental customer service.

Reactions: WyoDude
It was called Pro Tire. Not sure if it's a chain. The rep from Continental simply asked my zip code and suggested a shop in my area. I think the only requirement was that they be an authorized Continental dealer. The store had nothing at all to do with it. They had no clue what I was asking for until they called Continental and gave them my case number. The deal was 100% brokered by Continental customer service.
Great info, thank you for all the details! I think I’m gonna be in a similar boat soon