Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5/32 tread depth on 12850 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our M3 is only 13 months old and mileage is 12,850. Tires are dealer Michelin Primacy MXM4s. Went to America's Tire to get tires rotated and balanced. Guy said tread depth is down to 5/32 and probably will need new set on next visit? Is this normal?

Thanks guys for inputs.

Those tires only have 8/32 when brand new, so 5/32 means you’re effectively halfway through their lifespan. On my M3P (stealth with 18” and MXM4’s) my first set only lasted 13k miles total. My second set is at 5/32 with almost 30k miles, so they’ve lasted longer (and maybe due to getting an alignment and not doing so many stoplight launches) but still not great. If I need tires again while I still have the car I’ll probably go with the continental DSW06 which seem to be well-reviewed on model 3’s.

Reactions: XPsionic
If this is the first time you’ve rotated the tires, it is highly likely your front tires have much more wear than the rears.

The manual says to rotate tires every 6,000 miles. This schedule gives you the greatest chance of all four tires hitting their wear limits at the same time.

Not rotating your tires as per recommended schedule is the greatest cause of having two tires worn out with usable tread remaining on the other two.

If this is the first time you’ve rotated the tires, it is highly likely your front tires have much more wear than the rears.
I’ve never seen a Tesla that wears the fronts quicker than the rears. Any model. Without rotation my RWD Model S will consume rear tires about twice as fast as the fronts. AWD cars seem to wear pretty evenly even without rotation.

As for OP, seems you’re on track to get around ~30k out of the MXM4s. That’s pretty normal. I’ve had 4 sets of them.

Last edited:

The manual says to rotate tires every 6,000 miles. This schedule gives you the greatest chance of all four tires hitting their wear limits at the same time.

Not rotating your tires as per recommended schedule is the greatest cause of having two tires worn out with usable tread remaining on the other two.
Hi, this is the 2nd rotation on the Michelin's. First was around 6250 miles.

Those tires only have 8/32 when brand new, so 5/32 means you’re effectively halfway through their lifespan. On my M3P (stealth with 18” and MXM4’s) my first set only lasted 13k miles total. My second set is at 5/32 with almost 30k miles, so they’ve lasted longer (and maybe due to getting an alignment and not doing so many stoplight launches) but still not great. If I need tires again while I still have the car I’ll probably go with the continental DSW06 which seem to be well-reviewed on model 3’s.
Conti DSW06's, I'll take a look at those. Thanks for the input.

I’ve never seen a Tesla that wears the fronts quicker than the rears. Any model. Without rotation my RWD Model S will consume rear tires about twice as fast as the fronts. AWD cars seem to wear pretty evenly even without rotation.

As for OP, seems you’re on track to get around ~30k out of the MXM4s. That’s pretty normal. I’ve had 4 sets of them.
On track for those tires, good to know. Thanks for the input.

I rotated the Primacy tires at 12,500 and 25,000 miles on our 2022 M3LR. Ready for replacement at 41,000 miles. Might have a few miles left except for worn smooth on the inside fronts, and we’re headed out on a long trip soon.

53098746840_a6799c1015_c.jpg

I’ve decided to go with the same Michelins. Good mileage and no complaints on handling.

Reactions: LuckyRT13
You have data on front tire wear from the Tesla fleet?
7 years of haunting these halls has led to an observation or two, not to mention 175,000 miles of personal data over 6 sets of tires.

Plus the common sense realization that RWD EVs which do all of the acceleration and 90% of the braking via the rear axle will obviously wear the rear tires faster.

The induction motor in the front of AWD models also basically free wheels under light load for efficiency, making the car effectively RWD (that said the AWD models do seem to wear much more evenly).

Do the slightest bit of searching around here for tire wear threads and you’ll see that your reported behavior is highly anomalous.

7 years of haunting these halls has led to an observation or two, not to mention 175,000 miles of personal data over 6 sets of tires.

Plus the common sense realization that RWD EVs which do all of the acceleration and 90% of the braking via the rear axle will obviously wear the rear tires faster.

The induction motor in the front of AWD models also basically free wheels under light load for efficiency, making the car effectively RWD (that said the AWD models do seem to wear much more evenly).

Do the slightest bit of searching around here for tire wear threads and you’ll see that your reported behavior is highly anomalous.
I’ve been here a bit as well. 😉

The tire wear on my Tesla has exactly matched the tire wear on every vehicle I’ve owned in my 56 years; the front tires wear out faster. This is on the Tesla in my signature that I’ve owned since August of 2019.

This appears to be a difference of experiences and opinions that neither one of us are going to sway the other on.

I think we’ve both said our peace… time to let the thread continue on and part as friends?

Reactions: LuckyRT13
I’ve been here a bit as well. 😉

The tire wear on my Tesla has exactly matched the tire wear on every vehicle I’ve owned in my 56 years; the front tires wear out faster. This is on the Tesla in my signature that I’ve owned since August of 2019.

This appears to be a difference of experiences and opinions that neither one of us are going to sway the other on.

I think we’ve both said our peace… time to let the thread continue on and part as friends?

Both of you are on here, so you have access to Google. Both can be right. There are common reasons for both scenarios.

Both of you are on here, so you have access to Google. Both can be right. There are common reasons for both scenarios.
I just replaced my Michelins mxm that had 27k (lifetime wh was 240 over 8 seasons here in Indiana) on them. Was down to 2/32 all around. I never rotated…not even once. Go figure. Went with conti dws06 plus. Was between those and pirelli pzero elects but contis were cheaper (900 vs 1075) and reviews were “similar” between the two. Happy with these and def more confident driving now. Started to slip a little in the rain so it was time.

Reactions: WyoDude
My OEM Contenentals we at 4/32" at 20k miles. Continental gave me a 50% credit towards a new set. I got the DSW06 and they are wearing better. Much better grip, but efficiency dipped from 270 to 290 wh/mi. I assume because they grip better.

Reactions: WyoDude