Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% degradation reached in 6 months, 15k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a bit of degradation ever since the second Tesla Corsa event (my first track event). My maximum charge is now 300 miles.

I have tried all the tricks to balance the battery algorithm, but so far there has been no effect. I typically charge to 90% each day at work, and when I get to work the following day to recharge I usually have about 100 miles left of indicated range.

A couple times, maybe once per month I have tried to bring my battery very low and then give it a full charge afterwards. To this point there has been no effect. Today i took it to 17 miles, then full charged.

Once it got to 290 miles the charge rate started dropping. Once I got to 300, the app indicated 30 minutes left to charge. The amps slowly went lower and lower with no change to the 30 minute estimate for at least 30 minutes. The car then indicated it was done charging.

I do not supercharge very often, but I have so far done 2 of the Corsa events. Others I talked to do not have this degradation, despite also tracking their cars very hard.

Hopefully it doesn't continue to degrade at this rate. I know others said to expect a 5% degradation in the first year, but I didn't expect it to degrade all within 1 weekend.

How are other P3D+ owners doing with degradation? I honestly don't ride that hard every day, but occasionally I do like some zoom.

I checked that first, no joy.

Just did a short trip slowly along the freeway. Barely touched the accelerator. I averaged 250 wh/mile over 5.9 miles. Started at 300, indicated 291 miles on the screen now.

Do others with similar mileage show degradation already? If so, how much?

Last edited:
Hold on a second... You say you have 5% degradation, but you charge to 300 miles of range? That would be 3.3% degradation wouldn't it? (Down 10 miles from the rated 310.)

So you are over stating your degradation by ~51%... (5% would mean that you only charged to 294 miles of range.)

Or are you saying that your car charged to 316 miles of range when it was new?

Last edited:
Oh wow I was using 315. Not sure how I got that stuck in my head.
Rookie mistake, thanks for the correction. I suspect its software as well, but I don't know that for sure.

Last time I charged to 100% it moved about 6 miles before any indicated range was lost. Oh well I will just give it a full charge once per quarter and see how it goes.

May be an anecdote, but my 90% level was 275 two weeks back.... by this past Friday it had dropped to 266. I've never taken it to 100%, and seldom does it see much below 100 miles remaining range. But the charging pattern was the same back when it was 275... 13k miles, AWD.

This is my pack capacity presently with almost 80% supercharging. I blame the capacity loss on the fact that supercharging doesn't allow much time for BMS pack balancing (since I unplug before it reaches a "setpoint"). I need to do more home charging. I suspect real capacity is probably around 305-307 miles.

upload_2019-4-9_18-31-27.png

Charge was set to 100%, car stopped at 300 miles. It spent the last 30 minutes charging but not showing any range gained. Then ended charge automatically.

Are you using supercharging mainly or L1 or L2 charging? I was talking to another P3D+ owner who has put 15k miles but primarily used L1 charging and still has 310 miles. I suspect its related to low charge rate allow more pack balancing to occur.