Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% increase in power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so far the best 1/8th mile is mine from what I seen at 7.399 that would still be a mid 11.6s. I think we would need some weight reduction or another update to get into the 11.5s

On previous firmware I've seen verified times of 11.67. So I don't think it's a big stretch to knock 1/10 off of that. Most all of the quarter mile times that I've seen on the new firmware have been in pretty cold temperatures. Battery output is down a bit potentially anyway depending on how much work the batteries been doing, and air temperature of course means you're pushing denser air out of the way. I'll see if I can find the link for this guy's results.

I think without stripping out the interior on a really hot day we'll see the first 11.5x and a trap speed above 116.

PS here it is on previous thread

SOC vs power and torque output

Last edited:
Per today's announcement:

"We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles."

Well, isn't that the bees knees!

Per today's announcement:

"We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles."

Well, isn't that the bees knees!
Loving the extra punch and power in my LR RWD! Thanks Elon.

2019.12 has only 1.9% on Teslafi so I doubt anyone has actually tested on it, or atleast I've not heard any reports on it anywhere yet. It seems to be in a freeze as it's stayed at this amount for the better part of this last week. Maybe Tesla is analyzing data from the fleet to make sure it's safe before wider rollout.

If you don't have the update yet, YOU should gather a dataset with the accelerometer in your phone to compare. It's certainly more PRECISE than the camera method. The questions are really around its accuracy. It's pretty easy to do...

Posted elsewhere about this, finally. Your data appears correct. It differs in the implied torque above 45mph though - plenty of torque increase below 45mph, but I didn't see evidence of ANY significant torque increase in my 45-60mph times. Doesn't make any sense, but that is consistently what I saw. Maybe my car is a dud. They accidentally pulled a motor from the wrong bin perhaps?

Here is my recent post:

P3D+ Acceleration

Last edited:
Reactions: is2scooby
P3D+

Dragy 0-60 MPH

85% SOC

5.15: = 3.54 seconds (multiple runs)
8.3 = 3.46 seconds (multiple runs)
5.15 Chill = 7.78 seconds

I can definitely feel the power difference.

Launch technique: Enable Brake hold, hover foot away from accelerator and stomp on it quickly

Have found out where the power difference is at and at which MPH does it start giving an extra kick?

Also, how come some people report their 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and some 3.5?

See post 252 in this thread .

Hmm, I'm not good at reading graphs but it seems like from 10mph-40mph is where it's suppose to be the most noticeable?

I notice the car is quicker from 30mph and up, mostly around 40mph, when I stomp on it, it's like a Model S P85D launch.

I feel the difference when I stomp on it while cruising at 20mph vs 30mph vs 40mph and 40mph has the strongest hit. Anyone else feel the same?

Hmm, I'm not good at reading graphs but it seems like from 10mph-40mph is where it's suppose to be the most noticeable?

I notice the car is quicker from 30mph and up, mostly around 40mph, when I stomp on it, it's like a Model S P85D launch.

I feel the difference when I stomp on it while cruising at 20mph vs 30mph vs 40mph and 40mph has the strongest hit. Anyone else feel the same?

That is my P3D, is your car a P3D? It's about the same % more powerful at all speeds up to 100 mph.

I have a P3D+. That's interesting cause it feels stronger at 40mph. The update even said there's more power at "higher speeds" but didn't entail at what speed.

Yep, that statement is what caused some conversation earlier in the thread because my data showed more torque AND more power, when the expectation was just more power. More torque = what you see in my graphs, a step change in acceleration starting at 5 mph and holding the step change from there to 100+ mph. Just more power would have shown that step change only after ~40 mph. @AlanSubie4Life has mostly confirmed my data using his VBOX, so the "more power" statement, while technically true, appears to have actually undersold the improvements.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I guess since the release notes say it can maintain power more readily at higher speeds for longer periods, I will have to check to see whether my poor quality motor can actually hold the higher peak power at 90% SoC when I am not in track mode. Last I checked it was pulling power above 45mph at a 92% SoC unless I turned on track mode. My motor is probably hot garbage though. Accidentally got pulled from the reject bin, destined for the regular AWD, maybe. Production hell!

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: hoang51 and dfwatt