Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

53% of EV owners in Norway will buy EV again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

Hi, I found a Japanese article written by a Japanese journalist living in Oslo, about something called Climate Change Barometer. While I don't know what kind of event / conference is the Barometer, who was speaking there etc, but the journalist said that from a research done in Norway, 53% of current EV owners will buy EV again, which sounded a little low to me. I know in Norway PHEVs are getting popular and in April the PHEV sales exceeded EV sales. But still.

I would like to find out a source of this research. Could somebody help? This Barometer conference seemed to take place on June 1st. There was a Twitter hash tag #klimabarometer as well but I couldn't find any...

I googled your stats ("53% Norwegians buy electic vehicles again") and found this article:

https://www.tekes.fi/contentassets/...ectric_car_user_experiences_-_evs27_paper.pdf

They have statistics on "would you buy an EV again" on page 7 out of 11 of the article.

59% said yes in 2012, and 64% said yes in 2013 (5% said no both years, rest uncertain).

Otherwise didn't see anything specifically claiming 53%. Sorry didn't google the conference itself.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
One source is a poll by the Norwegian EV owners association, where around half the respondents said that they wouldn't have bought an EV if they'd have to pay in the road tolls around Oslo.

- Farlig spill med elbilpolitikken i en kritisk fase

The Norwegian EV owners association is very much a group lobbying for the interests of the Norwegian EV owners, and it is a pretty impactful policywise. The statistical tidbit must be seen as a warning to politicians against even marginally reducing the incentives for Norwegian EV owners.

Politicians in greater Oslo are planning to raise toll charges for petrol/diesel cars to 53/58NOK, and controversially alse demand toll charges from EVs - up to 30 NOK, thus making EVs less economically competitive compared to ICE cars. The lying politicians from all parties promised no tolls for EVs before the recent local elections.

Unlikely. The quote was misunderstood and incorrectly reported: Norway Will Not Ban Gas & Diesel Car Sales
But the market will probably move to 100% EVs by then anyway.
Agreed. Thanks for the link. Here is a quote from that article:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anders Bjartnes, editor of Norsk Klimastiftelse/Energi og Klima, helped me understand the issue by email: “the target will be backed up by a series of efforts (taxes, subsidies, charging stations, hydrogen infrastructure, differentiated rush-hour taxes, etc.) to maintain high speed in the transition.” He also quoted Norwegian MP Ola Elvestuen of the Liberal Party (since “liberal” practically has no clear meaning in English, see this description of the party):

“I am a liberal politician and don’t support the use of force to get rid of petrol and diesel cars. The goal is to make zero/low-omission cars so attractive that people choose them.”

Bjartnes also says that diesel & gasoline cars have already fallen below 50% of new sales in the Hordaland/Bergen area (for reasons we will have to come back to in a future article).

So there you have it: Norway is not going to prohibit its citizens from buying new diesel/gasoline cars, but it will implement progressive policies to encourage a transition towards electric vehicles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

One source is a poll by the Norwegian EV owners association, where around half the respondents said that they wouldn't have bought an EV if they'd have to pay in the road tolls around Oslo.

- Farlig spill med elbilpolitikken i en kritisk fase

The Norwegian EV owners association is very much a group lobbying for the interests of the Norwegian EV owners, and it is a pretty impactful policywise. The statistical tidbit must be seen as a warning to politicians against even marginally reducing the incentives for Norwegian EV owners.

Politicians in greater Oslo are planning to raise toll charges for petrol/diesel cars to 53/58NOK, and controversially alse demand toll charges from EVs - up to 30 NOK, thus making EVs less economically competitive compared to ICE cars. The lying politicians from all parties promised no tolls for EVs before the recent local elections.
Seems lying is a requirement to become a politician. Not sure why.
corruption theory - they do what they are paid to do by big companies.
naive theory - they say what they must to get elected and then do what they think they must for their country men.