Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening up the Supercharger network in Australia to other brand EVs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There goes doing a road trip at peak times such as school holidays and long weekends.

It had already become a pain travelling up the Hume and through other areas on longer trips that I was avoiding it anyways after the last couple of times having long enough waits for it to be not worth it. Now it will be a hell of a lot worse. Pretty much the last reason to consider a Tesla over anything else was the charging network exclusivity.

There goes doing a road trip at peak times such as school holidays and long weekends.

It had already become a pain travelling up the Hume and through other areas on longer trips that I was avoiding it anyways after the last couple of times having long enough waits for it to be not worth it. Now it will be a hell of a lot worse. Pretty much the last reason to consider a Tesla over anything else was the charging network exclusivity.
Except none of the sites along the Hume are open.

Not to mention, they've got funding to significantly increase the locations along the Hume, specifically because they have the capability to open these new stations to all EVs.

Reactions: RichardV
FYI, as at 31 July, Tesla’s fleet market share of battery EVs in NSW was 60.3% (23,565 out of 39,062). That’s pretty consistent with where Tesla’s market share has been since 2017.
Yep I would not have expected much difference to now as no serious substantial competition happened until earlier this year, with volume now starting to become available. Its an unproven hunch that cheaper ev’s will be more popular and sell more units than mid priced ev’s, just as 3 is vastly more popular than the S. We’ll know in about a year.

Yes, but I suspect people still will charge to 100%.

Not if per minute charges are imposed when charging above 90%. Also as @Lachlan Smith says, when the density of DCFCs is sufficiently high and EV drivers get less anxious about charging, people will stop charging to 100% because they’ll learn how much time it is costing them.

Yes, but I suspect people still will charge to 100%.
Correct. I do a hell of a lot of regional travel and I understand it having talked to many. With the terrible range the standard range version teslas offer at 110kmh and higher, you are having to stop much more often, so people are tending to make the most of a stop , charging for longer to 100% so they can get some sort of distance up the road before the next charge rather than charging quickly to 70% but only making it another 1.5 hours to another charger as they wouldn't make the next one after that. Horrible road tripping experience. Added to that the standard range versions charge slower at low SOC makes it even worse.

My comment about the Hume wasn't that they are opening those up, rather it is a bad experience already in peak times, let alone opening up those in the future as well. It's bad enough that they are opening up the existing ones as far as the reasons I buy a Telsa. My current on order Y LR will probably be the last Telsa I get for a while as I only got that one due to the charging network. Would love to have tried another brand for the next 12 months I turn over the cars but stuff dealing with the 3rd party network more than you need to already, especially in peak times. If the charging network is open then may as well lash out for something better.

Side note - looks like our NZ colleagues may be getting the same soon - going by the red Tesla signs appearing at a site under construction: Supercharger - Glenfield
Went to check out Campbelltown Catholic Club this afternoon and they've swapped out the sign already. I assume most other sites are the same already (not going to justify a road trip to Blaxland or Figtree to check.... ;-) )
IMG_4678.jpeg

Went to check out Campbelltown Catholic Club this afternoon and they've swapped out the sign already. I assume most other sites are the same already (not going to justify a road trip to Blaxland or Figtree to check.... ;-) )View attachment 970400
They are just teasing us with Wagga,
Screenshot_20230902-181121.png

Posts for signs are there but no sign indicating that it will be open for non-tesla from the start. I suspect this one will be though.

Reactions: Chuq and moa999