Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening up the Supercharger network in Australia to other brand EVs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess time will tell, but I don't think they will necessarily ever open up the busiest sites. They aren't all open in Europe, where they first started opening them up.
That makes sense, considering the major omissions are on the Hume/Pacific and the NSW grants are going to build out new big sites on those routes. Add in Benalla (20 stalls), Ballarat (10 with capacity for 20) and that mostly covers the routes in/out of Melbourne towards the other capitals too.

I guess time will tell, but I don't think they will necessarily ever open up the busiest sites. They aren't all open in Europe, where they first started opening them up.
The official line from Tesla is still
Our goal is to learn and iterate quickly, while continuing to aggressively expand the network, so we can eventually welcome both Tesla and non-Tesla drivers at every Supercharger worldwide. Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot | Tesla Support

It does specifically say 'every supercharger', but I suppose it depends how far away "eventually" is :)

Think it's more the number of new models at the lower price point.
For the last 6+ months it's been the BYD Atto.

Going forward it's the Atto, Dolphin, MG4, Ora etc.
As well as the Seal at the price point.
Once an EV brand cracks the 0 - 25k$ market then the numbers will skyrocket.

The millennial market has alot of potential (think Suzuki Swift type EV)but no one has cracked it yet.

Some reports at Campbeltown on Plugshare of Atto 3s having issues with the V3 chargers. All other non-Teslas seem ok.
(Noting that all the first round sites were V2).

That's interesting.

There was also an issue a while back of MGZS using Tesla HPWC Gen 3 in promiscuous mode. All other cars worked OK. Not sure how that was resolved, but it appears to have been fixed.

At the moment it appears the test V4 (or V3.5) sites are all running V3 hardware (ie. 400V systems).. so I'd think it would be relatively easy to swap out a couple of stalls at existing V3 sites (particularly the NSW Govt ones).

Might be harder at existing V2 sites.

But to date even in Europe we've only seen entirely new V4 sites to test the equipment, not retrofits.

Nobody is really adding any details to those checkins to say what problem the BYD are having, but I wonder if it is the "got to hold the charger up/tight to the vehicle while it handshakes." issue.

As for Ioniq 5, isn't their problem the 800v/400v conversion issue? They will always be slower on 400v chargers due to the way they step up the voltage internally.

So it definitely appears to be a GWM/BYD specific issue. I wonder what V3 could be doing so differently within the CCS standard? Or it could be GRM/BYD doing something slightly non-standard too.

Haven't seen any other consistent reports on plugshare across all brands and across all chargers.

The good news for me considering the car I've ordered as a second car is that MG seems to be fine too (although not super fast from a single sample - if you can see the sample, twitter links seem strange here for me):

Last edited:
I've seen several other type issues at Heatherbrae. yesterday with most of the 6 units full an "other make" - IIRC a mini? attempted to make it but the car socket was the wrong side and the cable too short. The owner was apparently unable to make it to destination. They said they had the Tesla app and also owned a Tesla.. As predicted I think opening up is likely to edge Tesla charging closer to what appears to be the horror norm in many other countries unless many more stations with - critically, more stalls - are built, and quickly.

Reactions: Jules22
I've seen several other type issues at Heatherbrae. yesterday with most of the 6 units full an "other make" - IIRC a mini? attempted to make it but the car socket was the wrong side and the cable too short. The owner was apparently unable to make it to destination. They said they had the Tesla app and also owned a Tesla.. As predicted I think opening up is likely to edge Tesla charging closer to what appears to be the horror norm in many other countries unless many more stations with - critically, more stalls - are built, and quickly.
The V4 units can't come soon enough. Hopefully that extra metre or so makes the difference...

Reactions: Jules22 and Wol747
Except neither Heatherbrae Supercharger nor the Supercharger at Heatherbrae Pie's at Exeter are open to non-teslas.
So the mini would have have a hard time charging no matter how they parked. There is a BP charger across the road from Heatherbrae and EVIE across the road from Exeter.

Last edited: