Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening up the Supercharger network in Australia to other brand EVs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this subject deserves it's own thread.

I have said before on this forum that it is the main reason I bought a Tesla was for the access to the Supercharger network. Before the Tesla I was lucky enough to own a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) that came with a CHAdeMO plug for DC fast charging (still own that PHEV) so I went out and experimented using some of the other charging networks. Now I only did this in quiet times as taking a charging stall for a Hybrid car with a 13.8 kWh battery 9.6 kWh usable (approx 54kms at town speeds of 60kph for me) can probably be considered ridiculous and if a pure EV turned up and needed a charge I could abort and let them in. But I did want to do my research as thoroughly as I could. So off testing to all what I consider local to where I live l went to Chargefox Port Macquarie and Evie Taree over numerous times.

Now as you all probably know Chargefox and Evie are not like using Superchargers (plug and charge). Once you sort out apps and what charging stall you are at and plugin and wait, and wait and wait, cross fingers and finally if your lucky the noise of contactors and fans and your off. But had to move to another stall on one test, whole site was down on another test and was glad I owned a Hybrid then. Found out about Plugshare somewhere about this time of my testing LOL.

Now I had seen videos of Superchargers in action, grab cable, press button on connector to open flap or push in on flap to raise, plugin and within secs it seems the light goes blinking green and your off. Seems reliable from my research and I definitely want the easiest entry into long distance pure EV ownership. Local EV driving can be done with any EV even my PHEV. It had to be a Tesla for me to travel long distance with the easiest charging experience (especially after my tests) by gaining access to Superchargers. I also could still plugin to other CCS chargers if necessary like Evie etc.

Now I have nearly 10,000 Kms on the Model Y now. Taken it to Sydney two times myself , oldest son took it once to Sydney for state sport championships all using Heatherbrae and Macquarie Park Superchargers and I drove to local Cassegrain Wines Supercharger to instruct my wife how easy they are to use if she goes on a trip with out me. Great experience compared to the other networks IMO.

Now I probably should say this now. I have purposely stayed away from using other CCS chargers. They are slower to get charging but cheaper in costs from memory but I don't need to use them as Supercharges are available for all my trips so far so it would seem unfair for me to go to them and possible delay someone that has no other choice ie they do not own a Tesla. But I would use them if I had to.

Now you can probably see where this is all going.

Is Tesla opening up the Supercharger network in Australia to other brand EVs fair to us Tesla owner's?

Definitely part of me says no. Gaining access to Superchargers was the number 1 reason I bought a Tesla. I know they only get access to quieter Superchargers at the moment but will it stop there? Not sure I trust Tesla about that question at the moment. Has not happened in Europe yet.

Now I myself purposely avoid travelling at standard holiday times because of the chaos I see around here on the roads where I live and as I am lucky enough (or stupid enough sometimes) to own my own business I can sack myself at anytime of the year to have a break if I want. But I have even seen the Heatherbrae Supercharger coming back after a Sydney trip on a Sunday afternoon with only 1 stall left when I arrived so shared charging. Not a holiday time but it was busy. Lakeside Tavern Supercharger is needed soon IMO.

Now part of me says yes. Then I can sell the Tesla and get something that has a better cruise control for example. Then still use Superchargers. But then I will be thinking this is not fair to those Tesla owners LOL. Will some give me that go away you don't own a Tesla look? Yes I bet they do.

Then there is the question. Will it cause Tesla to lose sales and maybe used Tesla's value decline? I think definitely yes. For me it will probably be the last straw after cruise control dramas and I will sell the Model Y. Hopefully before the rush from others.

But a lot of new fast chargers added into the system may make all of this mute or Tesla may never open the busier chargers to others. To me I think why change a system that got me into your car? It just doesn't make sense IMHO. But I could be wrong.

By the way noticed on Plugshare a woman at the Cann River Supercharger complaining that her Kona wouldn't charge. Expect to see this happen more I think.

Ps Maybe we should have a poll on this?

• 525 David St, Albury NSW 2640, Australia - 15 bays
  • 49-59 O'Riordan St, Alexandria NSW 2015, Australia - 6 bays
  • Jessie St, Armidale NSW 2350, Australia - 4 bays
  • 265 Parramatta Rd, Auburn NSW 2144, Australia - 6 bays
  • 84 Kerr St, Ballina NSW 2478, Australia - 12 bays
  • 1 Perry St, Batemans Bay NSW 2536, Australia - 6 bays
  • 176 Auckland St, Bega NSW 2550, Australia - 6 bays
  • Blue Gum Rd, Jesmond NSW 2299, Australia - 6 bays
  • 5 Charlton St, Woy Woy NSW 2256, Australia - 12 bays
  • 71 Spring St, Bondi Junction NSW 2022, Australia - 6 bays
  • 1 Art Gallery Rd, Campbelltown NSW 2560, Australia - 9 bays
  • 345 Victoria Ave, Chatswood NSW 2067, Australia - 9 bays
  • 211 Pacific Hwy, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450, Australia - 15 bays
  • 19 Princes Hwy, Figtree NSW 2525, Australia - 6 bays
  • 1 Bay St, Jindabyne NSW 2627, Australia - 6 bays
  • Hope St, Blaxland NSW 2774, Australia - 6 bays
  • Hume Hwy, Marulan NSW 2579, Australia - 15 bays
  • 1 Jondaryan Ave, Griffith NSW 2680, Australia - 6 bays
  • 407 Moppett St, Hay NSW 2711, Australia - 6 bays
  • 279 Condamine St, Manly Vale NSW 2093, Australia - 6 bays
  • 2 Central Ave, Eveleigh NSW 2015, Australia - 6 bays
  • 72-78 Brook St, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, Australia - 6 bays
  • 103 Tibbereena St, Narrabri NSW 2390, Australia - 6 bays
  • 74 Benjamin Lee Dr, Raymond Terrace NSW 2324, Australia - 15 bays
  • 260 Peisley St, Orange NSW 2800, Australia - 6 bays
  • Peak Hill Rd, Parkes NSW 2870, Australia - 6 bays
  • North Ter, Bankstown NSW 2200, Australia - 6 bays
  • 249 Sheridan St, Gundagai NSW 2722, Australia - 12 bays
  • 46 Wynter St, Taree NSW 2430, Australia - 12 bays
  • 162 Rouse St, Tenterfield NSW 2372, Australia - 4 bays
  • Wagga Wagga, NSW, 2650 68 Lead St, Yass NSW 2582, Australia - 6 bays
  • 68 Lead St, Yass NSW 2582, Australia - 12 bays
This is what opening up gets you. The choice is between sharing a small amount of chargers with a smaller group, or a larger amount of chargers with a larger group. Who cares? As long as there is one where and when you want it

I don’t mind.

With it comes more funding for Tesla Superchargers because Tesla can access various assistance programs, so more charging available generally.

The Superchargers seem a fair bit more reliable, so better experience for EV owners, so faster switching to EVs and better environmental outcomes.

I never felt that I was buying access to an exclusive service when I bought the car, it was just an advantage of choosing a Tesla.

Tesla put in the supercharging network to give people confidence to buy an EV rather than selling exclusivity.

More people using the superchargers gives Tesla an additional revenue stream, so this strengthens Tesla and gets us more Tesla stuff.

This is what opening up gets you. The choice is between sharing a small amount of chargers with a smaller group, or a larger amount of chargers with a larger group. Who cares? As long as there is one where and when you want it
Ok whenever government grant money is used totally agree with having to open up sites to others. Tesla's existing network was quite comprehensive expanding from Brisbane right round to Adelaide paid by Tesla. This should be opened up too?

Doesn't really matter whether you think it's a good thing or not - it's happening.
Elon said so and it fits with Tesla's mission statement.

(There are 100+ pg threads in the Supercharger subforum that just go in circles)

As above, as we've seen in NSW it can bring immediate benefits by bringing forward new supercharger sites.

There are also probably more new Tesla's delivered this quarter than the total number of other CCS2 cars in Australia - so it won't make a massive difference.
And they will have to pay more for the privilege.

Get yourself RFID cards for Chargefox and Evie. They make using third party chargers almost as easy.

I don’t mind.

With it comes more funding for Tesla Superchargers because Tesla can access various assistance programs, so more charging available generally.

The Superchargers seem a fair bit more reliable, so better experience for EV owners, so faster switching to EVs and better environmental outcomes.

I never felt that I was buying access to an exclusive service when I bought the car, it was just an advantage of choosing a Tesla.

Tesla put in the supercharging network to give people confidence to buy an EV rather than selling exclusivity.

More people using the superchargers gives Tesla an additional revenue stream, so this strengthens Tesla and gets us more Tesla stuff.
Ok will answer you in relation to your lines as presented:
1. NP your entitled to your opinion.
2. More reliable agree.
3. You had to buy a Tesla to have access to Superchargers (so it was an exclusive service until recently) so this sentence makes no sense to me IMHO.
4. Again Tesla until recently made you buy a Tesla to use their Superchargers so they were selling exclusivity IMHO.
5. Maybe. On this we will have to wait and see I guess.

There are also probably more new Tesla's delivered this quarter than the total number of other CCS2 cars in Australia - so it won't make a massive difference.
Yeah these are the most important points I think. At 79c/kWh it's not going to be the first choice for those drivers, and really compared to the number of Teslas there's not that many of them on the roads anyway.

The only things that concern me with this are cars that take up multiple spots because their charging port is in a problematic location, and cars that can only charge very slowly.

Reactions: adee and Stuart2023
From the Tesla page - they plan to open them all eventually "Tesla drivers can continue to use these stations as they always have, and we will be closely monitoring each site for congestion and listening to customers about their experiences.

It’s always been our ambition to open the Supercharger network to non-Tesla EVs, and by doing so, encourage more drivers to go electric.

More customers using the Supercharger network enables faster expansion. Our goal is to learn and iterate quickly, while continuing to aggressively expand the network, so we can eventually welcome both Tesla and non-Tesla drivers at every Supercharger worldwide."

Reactions: Hairyman
Doesn't really matter whether you think it's a good thing or not - it's happening.
Elon said so and it fits with Tesla's mission statement.

(There are 100+ pg threads in the Supercharger subforum that just go in circles)

As above, as we've seen in NSW it can bring immediate benefits by bringing forward new supercharger sites.

Get yourself RFID cards for Chargefox and Evie. They make using third party chargers almost as easy.
will answer in the way you presented
1. It's happening but the total consequences of the decisions is unknown yet. I brought that up in my opening post.
2. LOL 100+ pg threads going in circles. Glad I missed that . Sounds like you should have too IMO.
3. Already said if government money involved you have to open up the new sites and yes I can see those benefits and maybe some disadvantages.
4. Unknown yet IMO.
5. Yes I had already read they will pay more. But also some sort of monthly subscription for cheaper prices.
6. Had already decided I will do that if I go somewhere those RFID cards are needed. Shows up using the network websites but thanks for trying.

From the Tesla page - they plan to open them all eventually "Tesla drivers can continue to use these stations as they always have, and we will be closely monitoring each site for congestion and listening to customers about their experiences.

It’s always been our ambition to open the Supercharger network to non-Tesla EVs, and by doing so, encourage more drivers to go electric.

More customers using the Supercharger network enables faster expansion. Our goal is to learn and iterate quickly, while continuing to aggressively expand the network, so we can eventually welcome both Tesla and non-Tesla drivers at every Supercharger worldwide."
What Tesla page scully? Any links? How old is this page?

The only things that concern me with this are cars that take up multiple spots because their charging port is in a problematic location, and cars that can only charge very slowly.

Yeah, reduced efficiency in general leading to more congestion concerns me too. No longer having a fully integrated ecosystem also leads to degraded efficiency measures like automatic battery pre-conditioning, and routing to less congested superchargers (unless we see some API integration across manufacturers, but that's not going to happen in the short to medium term).

I think we'll probably see Tesla adding queuing & suggested stall to use to their app to mitigate some of the issues. Maybe some in-app advertising - "hey, if you were driving a Tesla right now, you would have been back on the road 25 mins ago!"

I'm hopeful that the charge port location issue leads to more flexible supercharger site design, which should also take into account towing. One advantage of Australia being laggards in charger infrastructure is that we can learn from the problems with rollouts in the US & Europe.

Reactions: BreatheSafe
Notably also having a charge port in the wrong spot may discourage non-Teslas as well.

As say at a 6 charger stall that's only half full - with Tesla's doing the correct thing and occupying 1A, 2A and 3A, a car with outlets in the wrong corners (front left or back right) won't be able to charge even though the site is only half full.

The design for the recently opened Figtree site has two stalls that could be connected either side/ provide more space for drivers with a disability.

Thanks. Wow November 2021 some of this has been known or widely released? Surprised I had missed it.

But good that I am still learning something new everyday LOL.

I think it’s a great idea.

These are all assets for Tesla and an asset is only as valuable as the amount of revenue it brings in.

I’ve been to berry, heatherbrae, erina, Canberra and Coffs Harbour many times and been the only one charging or been 1 of only 2 charging. Those chargers sit there all day and night most of the time.

Tesla would know the usage/occupancy rate of every stall at every location, and they also have sales data and projected growth for total number of EVs. I would be guessing they can pretty easily work out which locations could maintain capacity during the 85th percentile of times of day and make those available.

Government funding eligibility and revenue opportunity makes sense for any business

As an owner I’m excited that it will facilitate faster expansion.

As a shareholder I look forward to the added revenue stream

Where did you get this list btw? Exciting