Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

545 mile day tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said it before, and @Jason71 will be here soon to tell me I'm doing it wrong, but I have never ever got even close to 200 miles 100% from my M3P, let alone 202 with 62 left. Congratulations, my friend, you are obviously doing it properly.
So true. At 80mph on a motorway, I would never get 200 miles at this time of year.

Even on a bright summers day, I could never dream of 264 miles off a full charge, unless I was doing 60mph all of the way.

I get close to 200 doing motorway speeds in my SR+ (close under, not close over but still). Thats not 80mph, more like AP set to 75 as the speedo seems more accurate than in previous cars I’ve had. Rain and temperture will affect that of course, but surely you’d be fine in a LR if you don’t have a lead foot.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I test drove an ipace a year ago and got 168 miles when driving mainly on motorways, that was the main reason I chose Tesla. I never get less than 200 on a charge no matter how or where I drive.
Only power saving I do is to never use aircon.

If I can get from home to the Grantham superchargers, that's 238 miles.... I'd be amazed if I could get that far.
You should be able to manage that keeping the speed at max 75mph, fingers crossed its dry as driving home the other night in torrential rain in the dark did seem to make quite a dent on my battery %

Have to admit its quite a learning curve switching to an EV taking all this extra stuff into account, will it be cold, heavy rain, etc and the impact it can have on your range which you just don’t think about in an ICE car.. . I drive from Leamington Spa to Dawlish a few times a year and regardless of season knew I’d go there, drive about down there and then back on 1 tank in my old BMW 440i usually totalling about 380 miles and that was doing 80mph when not sitting in the traffic from Bristol to Weston on the M5!

The ICE was great for long journeys like that, but when 95% of my driving was around Warwickshire averaging 24mpg, I’ll cope with the stop for charging on the rare occasion I make a long trip. Gonna be interesting taking the Model 3 down in a few days time! Least there’s a SC at Exeter.

Reactions: Campi and Mrklaw
So.....

Day done!

Just Landed back home(19.47). Managed to get a free charge at hop wood park on the way up, not on the way down!?

Last 150miles 277 wh/mi.

Basically it was zero issue at all, now that might just be the charging network, however as a 'tool'. the car did what it needed to.

The auto wipers are crap, as the last ones on the bmw and Mercedes I had worked perfectly. They were also consistent. the tesla wipers aren't. The ACC gets confused with cars around sometimes.

I went for this car for its charging network and motorway range. Today it proved me right on those metrics.

The ride is better on the motorway than on A roads, Seats are good(not as good as an E-class).

the first 250 miles were in torrential rain/soaking wet roads, overall average was 303 wh/mi. I think on dry roads, it'll do 260miles on the motorway.

long range/19 inch wheels/climate on the whole time.

So.....

Day done!

Just Landed back home(19.47). Managed to get a free charge at hop wood park on the way up, not on the way down!?

Last 150miles 277 wh/mi.

Basically it was zero issue at all, now that might just be the charging network, however as a 'tool'. the car did what it needed to.

The auto wipers are crap, as the last ones on the bmw and Mercedes I had worked perfectly. They were also consistent. the tesla wipers aren't. The ACC gets confused with cars around sometimes.

I went for this car for its charging network and motorway range. Today it proved me right on those metrics.

The ride is better on the motorway than on A roads, Seats are good(not as good as an E-class).

the first 250 miles were in torrential rain/soaking wet roads, overall average was 303 wh/mi. I think on dry roads, it'll do 260miles on the motorway.

long range/19 inch wheels/climate on the whole time.
Agree about the auto wipers! I find that drizzle/fine rain is by far the worst for them not even activating, guess they haven’t experienced rain like that in California 😂

• Funny
Reactions: bingbongbing
Pleased the journey went well. I've regularly done long journeys in my M3 with no issues (25K miles in 9 months) The charging network is key and the main reason I went for a Tesla.

The downsides of the car have been discussed many a time on this forum - and I agree that the auto wipers, TACC and auto-dim lights are way behind the ICE competition - but I forgive them as they will (as some point) get better. We'll even get used to UI V11!!

Long journeys are just as simple as with an ICE as long as you have a Plan A and a Plan B for recharging. Different way of thinking, but you soon get used to it. When away from home I use Tesla Superchargers for maybe 80% of the charging I do. Even in the areas with gaps, there are other options although they're slower and more costly.

I have noticed the range dropping off in the colder weather. The sat-nav predicted SoC used to be about 5% lower than actual, whereas now it is about 3% higher. An 8% shift is significant and has changed when I charge. This will drop even more as ambient temperature decreases. I had got into rolling onto the drive with 2% left, but I'm not feeling so brave now!