Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

599 Sentry Mode Events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've encountered this a few times. I come back to my car a few hours later and it shows I have hundreds of sentry mode clips. When I go home and replay, sentry mode recorded every minute of the few hours with no events. Anyone else experience this?

I also get a ton of saved Sentry Mode events. Usually it's a car driving by or people walking past my car, even plants moving in the wind. Wish Tesla would build in a way to easily find the video where something moved, as I've had to go through so many files of nothing moving. Because right now it's way too time consuming to review all that video, and makes using Sentry Mode in a busy area pointless.

I've encountered this a few times. I come back to my car a few hours later and it shows I have hundreds of sentry mode clips. When I go home and replay, sentry mode recorded every minute of the few hours with no events. Anyone else experience this?

Could be a shopping cart in the range of the ultrasonic sensors on a windy day or even a bush. I think it's over writing these files now though or the files have gotten smaller? I haven't had to erase the SSD for a while now (knock on wood - watch is be full tomorrow).

Could be a shopping cart in the range of the ultrasonic sensors on a windy day or even a bush. I think it's over writing these files now though or the files have gotten smaller? I haven't had to erase the SSD for a while now (knock on wood - watch is be full tomorrow).
I'm in a parking garage with nothing moving. I park in the garage everyday and most days sentry mode works correctly in detecting movement when someone parks next to me. But yesterday I came back with 599 events that had no movement when I opened the files. It recorded every minute of the hour for hours.

I’ve had well over 5,000 sentry events when parked at the airport for four or five days. There was no damage, so I didn’t bother looking through the videos. I’ve also parked at the airport for four or five days and had less than 1,000 events. Seems to change how it transfers sentry video with each update.

I get this but only overnight when I'm parked in my garage. I figured out that I can set the car to automatically not record at home which was nice, but have no explanation why I was getting 450~ sentry events per night when there's nothing going on around my car.

Reactions: aspec818
Agree with everyone else. Plus it's a fairly good size drain on the battery when you get big numbers like that. I could watch all that video or go outside and watch the grass grow and it'd be just as entertaining. Even with the paid 8x speed it still takes forever as most of it is benign stuff.

I didn't have quite as many as you, but I still had 29 events over night in a parking lot at the Presidio of San Francisco. I think the worst part is having to go through all the clips looking for something, as no date/time is given when the incidents occurred. Never saw anybody going near my car. I also lost 28 miles of range during those 29 events....

I didn't have quite as many as you, but I still had 29 events over night in a parking lot at the Presidio of San Francisco. I think the worst part is having to go through all the clips looking for something, as no date/time is given when the incidents occurred. Never saw anybody going near my car. I also lost 28 miles of range during those 29 events....

Why watch all of the videos if there was no obvious damage to your car? I always just do a quick walk around and if I don’t see anything I don’t bother with the videos.

Why watch all of the videos if there was no obvious damage to your car? I always just do a quick walk around and if I don’t see anything I don’t bother with the videos.

Exactly. You guys will be thankful for all of the extra footage someday if there's an actual legit event. In the meantime, unless you were parked at the end of an empty lot just accept the fact that motion is occurring. Do a walk-around when you see there were events.

I think the idea of Sentry is to have it log events (hopefully not too many false positives) and only visually check these AFTER we notice a dent or scratch on the car... so best to have a large SSD like a 1TB and then simply forget you have it plugged in

As with others, I sometimes get silly number of events when it rains. Sentry generally triggers when someone walks in front of the car, less so when walking alongside.

My real bug-bear is how to ensure Sentry is activated and actually saving video files. Recently I'm observing that with the USB drive plugged in I see alerts on screen but NOTHING recorded to drive (and yes it is FAT32 with correct TeslaCam folder).
Must we always first turn ON the dashcam mode (red dot on icon) BEFORE activating Sentry. If so this seems nonsensical.

Really? Or are you kidding? :) I'm not sure. I had never considered that it might be listening. That raises a bunch of questions, like where are the microphones and what kinds of sounds count as triggers?

Interior mic (the one used for voice commands and phone) and stuff like glass breaking or other high pitched, sharp sounds that indicate a collision with the vehicle by something.

I'm not sure on the exact location of the "watch areas" for the cameras (Might be something to check sometime), but substantial change between frames in any watch area will cause a sentry event. After the initial V10 release I had over 780 events from being parked in my closed garage. Found that the camera brightness levels were fluctuating wildly with the flicker of the rectified LED lights.

Soft reboot corrected the brightness levels, but I was still getting 20-50 a day. I reviewed some and checked the trigger moment, looking for "change" in the frames. Turned out it was the fact that the garage door didn't close completely, leaving about half an inch of daylight coming in under the door. Anything that cast a shadow under the door - birds, cats, kids, whatever - would trigger the sentry. Adjusted door. Solved.

After all that, my point is:
It would be really spiffy if the sentry recording would include an overlay indicator of the trigger zone, and maybe indicator of the trigger camera/time in either a text file or the videos' filenames

Curious about something. I know that sentry mode can be a bit of a drainer, especially if it's this copious amount of events, but how much space does something like 599 events take up on an SSD? I'm planning on getting a 500GB one for my car and wanted to know if that was going to enough as I plan on using Sentry Mode quite a bit.