Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5Live via TuneIn. "This broadcast is not available in your country" - how to listen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla need to start using the UK version of apps. It seems that the car thinks you're in a different country (Holland?)

We have the same issue with some podcasts.

The entertainment system really is dated and pretty garbage when compared to something like Android auto or car play.

Reactions: kashmachine
Its because the sim card in your car is Dutch - BBC then 'see' your location as outside UK therefore UK broadcast rights to live sports etc not applicable. Also why you get Dutch adverts on YouTube.

Has been discussed before on here many times and the only solution is the DAB route for BBC at least.

TuneIn sometimes get it wrong too. They started blocking URLs on a few other stations I listen to for that reason even though I could stream directly from the radio station's own website in the same place. I stopped using TuneIn on all my devices as a consequence.

Tesla need to start using the UK version of apps. It seems that the car thinks you're in a different country (Holland?)

The entertainment system really is dated and pretty garbage when compared to something like Android auto or car play.
Ahh this explains why my Youtube shows as Netherlands too, I always wondered!

Use the DAB radio. If it doesn’t appear you need to go to audio settings and turn it on.
I can't seem to find this setting at all, where is it found if you're able to point me in the right direction? Never seen an option for DAB on my car

BBC had a spat with tunein some time ago. BBC wanted a method of controlling and monitoring who listened to their content, ie UK TV license payers. Tunein refused to implement what BBC needed (effectively login info) so BBC pulled their live content on various platforms.

I've stopped following the latest events, but it's quite probably this still rumbling on.

More info and links at

As others say, use DAB.

Reactions: Nick77
UPDATE: FixedSolution below for those wondering where to find the setting

Settings > Sources > Enable Radio

IMG_2015 2.jpg

Ermmm……

BBC is all available on DAB and always has been. You press radio and search BBC and save it to favourites. It’s not rocket science to be fair. The BBC having a beef with TuneIn is not really Tesla‘s fault. That’s like complaining to Tesla that your favourite song isn’t on Spotify.

as for the entertainment system being garbage, that’s a pretty sweeping and broad comment. Starting with the actual hardware, even the SR+ has good hardware and delivers a good quality of sound for an entry level system and way above many other base models. Then there’s the interface which offers DAB, streaming and playback from external devices from one screen. Hop in a base Model Merc that’s only a few years old and see what you get. You’ll be reminded of what you have very quickly including stuff like navigation being standard and not an option.

tesla’s concept of not handing responsibility for massive chunks of their cars to third parties is how they just managed to ride a chip shortage way better than many others. Granted, this didn’t affect the entertainment setup AFAIK but when you look at the bigger picture, not just giving up on the bits you’re a bit cr@p at and selling your soul to someone else is pretty much the Tesla ethos. The concept is way smarter than having no concept at all. Whilst there are caveats and the Tesla system has some flaws, sweeping statements like ‘it’s garbage’ are a tad dramatic. I’ve enjoyed 35K miles in two different Tesla variants and it’s far from garbage. No cradles with other devices all over the place and no cables strewn around the joint. The NAV isn’t perfect but it’s perfectly useable which is more than you can say for many others.

it’s fair to say that the implementation of CarPlay and Android isn’t blanket good either. I had the misfortune to do a couple of thousand miles in a brand new non-Tesla vehicle with CarPlay recently and it had a whole pile of issues which meant stopping at services to figure them out. Stuff like commencing a navigation session on a phone then plugging it into the vehicle and having to re-enter the details when connected to the head unit. What’s that all about? another example of lazy implementations.

tesla‘s entertainment system isn’t perfect but I think calling it garbage is a sweeping statement with some misunderstandings of the thinking behind it all.

The incorrect statement about Tesla using UK apps had been addressed by others so no need to reply to that bit.

[other opinions are available]

Reactions: Cardo