Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to buy a 5yr wheel & tire policy for the model Y, that will cover tire and wheel replacements from road hazards.

Has anyone here purchased a wheel/tire policy and been successful with the SC working with the policy company on pre authorizations etc?

The break even point on the policy is less than two tires, so thinking it’s not so bad for piece of mind at the least

Has anyone here purchased a wheel/tire policy and been successful with the SC working with the policy company on pre authorizations etc?
Everything I’ve seen and observed from Tesla in the last 8+ years suggests you will be utterly and entirely on your own in this regard. They will not work with any third party on your behalf. Any authorization, reimbursement, etc. is going to be 100% on you.

Do you think you will still have those tires in 5 years?
I believe that the average mileage is about 40k miles, what is your yearly driving usage?

What about if you damage a tire in middle of nowhere and need to use a local shop and cannot go to a Tesla Service Center?

I would certainly buy a spare tire instead of a tire warranty. At least, you can still sale your spare tire if you never used it,
while if you never use the waranty, you will never get your money back.

As a piece of mind, having a spare tire can save your trip. A little bit like the AMEX ads “don't leave home without.”

Spare tire takes unnecessary space in the trunk, so not really wanting to go that route.

Additionally the wheel/tire plan also includes paintless dent removal, key replacement, windshield chip repair, along with some other perks.

Everything I’ve seen and observed from Tesla in the last 8+ years suggests you will be utterly and entirely on your own in this regard. They will not work with any third party on your behalf. Any authorization, reimbursement, etc. is going to be 100% on you.
Thanks for this feedback. Is this a SC by SC variability or does Tesla just not play ball at all for any type of preauth/photo requests?

Would prefer Tesla doing the replacements, but worst case would have to have a tire shop be a goto for replacements/repairs