Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6/3 or 4/3 on 60amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the 6/3 is mainly for thicker ground over 38’ 6/2 would be cheaper but the 1mm ground not sure about.

Was hoping to do it myself both electricians are friends.
But yes I’ll look further Into rules possibly add part conduit. Where it’s touchable.

Thank you for all the help
I had no idea that US code and cable built was so different
I read so many posts satating 4/2 or 4/3 wire.
The reason the ground can be thinner is that it would only be used momentarily until the breaker trips, which would be very fast in a short situation, meaning there would be no time for the thinner wire to heat up. I mean, sure go beyond code if you want, but the electrical code is pretty conservative as it is.

I’m an electronics engineer(who has done some home and industrial wiring).

NEC code(US) and the Canadian equivalent are really fire codes. As such:
1. Get a permit.
2. FOLLOW THE CODE.
3. Get inspected.
4. Relax, knowing you are covered.

The size of the wire is dictated by the breaker size, not the load. That way if a short happens, the breaker trips before the wire overheats and a fire starts. Yes, there are differences for insulation temperature rating, enclosed in conduit or not, etc., but thats all in the code. You can use larger diameter wire and should if the run is quite long.

Hmm, then why do I have a NEMA 14-50 and can charge a car and run a camper? As well as plug in just about any other EVSE for friends with other vehicles?
There are two types of EV chargers: Those that use plugs, and those that are direct wired. For the Tesla wall charger, it is direct wired and one can just wire 6/2. If doing a portable charger, than I agree that a NEMA 14-50 is better and more versatile.

Mine is wired with 6/3 Romex NMD90 on a 60a breaker to a Tesla WC. I have seen the US NM-B stuff, same as the Cad stuff but the insulation is flimsy and thin on the NM-B in comparison. Both have the same gauge 6 copper wire but the better more robust insulation on the NMD makes it suitable for higher amps. https://northerncables.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/NMD_3c_compact-CU-DEC-2015.pdf

One thing for sure is the charge cable from the WC get much warmer then the NMD90.

Just had 60 amp Wall connector installed last week by a local electrician in Florida. He said if we go NM-B he would need to install a 50 amp breaker. If he went with copper 6/2 CU SE cable (Service entrance cable) he could legally install it with 60 amps so that’s what he used. We agreed on 60 amp.

Then 2 weeks later he arrived with 6/3 NM-B and a 50 amp breaker. I questioned the cable and he said romex is fine for 50 amps. I reminded him I wanted. 60 amps. He had a 60 amp breaker but not the CU SE cable. He made a call and continued to work. 30 minutes later his helper arrived with the 50 feet of SE cable and that’s what was installed.

He ran it up through the waLL from the in-wall breaker box into the attic. Then down the garage wall clamped to the drywall in PVC conduit to the top entrance.