Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-50 question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there’s a lot of threads on this and I’ve been searching the forums, but I just have a quick question about Nema 6-50.
We have a plug in the garage which the previous owner used to use for a hot tub about 20 years ago. It’s rated 250v-50a. This should be fine to charge the Tesla overnight right?

thanks

Reactions: Dmagyar and Rocky_H
A 6-50 is a prime outlet for charging. With a Model 3, you’ll charge at about 30 miles of range added every hour, so in ten or so hours you could go from 0 to 100% range.
One issue you may have-if it was installed for a Spa, the 50 A breaker may be a GFCI. This isn’t necessarily a problem, but some GFCI breakers trip when a Tesla mobile connector is plugged into them. If this happens, you’ll need to replace the breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Just order the Gen 2 6-50 UMC adapter from Tesla and you are good.
The Model 3 doesn’t arrive for another 4 weeks but I’ve already purchased the adapter as I think it goes OOS a lot lol.
A 6-50 is a prime outlet for charging. With a Model 3, you’ll charge at about 30 miles of range added every hour, so in ten or so hours you could go from 0 to 100% range.
One issue you may have-if it was installed for a Spa, the 50 A breaker may be a GFCI. This isn’t necessarily a problem, but some GFCI breakers trip when a Tesla mobile connector is plugged into them. If this happens, you’ll need to replace the breaker.
Is there anything else I can do to stop it from tripping?

Not that I know of.
Is there anything else I can do to stop it from tripping?
Not that I know of. It's an artifact of how Tesla verifies that it's plugged into a correctly wired outlet; it trickles a tiny bit of current down the ground wire to verify that it's connected. If you have a GFCI breaker, and it's sensitive enough to notice the trickle of current, it'll trip.

Building code actually requires a GFCI for EV sockets so the mobile charger is absolutely compatible with GFCIs, though there is some small possibility that yours is faulty or poorly designed.

The spa should have had a GFCI for obvious reasons so I'd hope that your breaker is already equipped - look for a test button on the breaker to confirm. If not, just refrain from licking the 6-50 plug during insertion/removal and otherwise the GFCI that's built in to the mobile charger will protect you during normal interactions with the car.

If I do decide to get a Tesla wall connector, I presume the 50 amp breaker and 4 conductor cable I just ran through the attic and inside the wall will be sufficient?
Tesla Wall Connector, Gen1 Mobile Connector, and Corded Mobile Connector (Gen1 with fixed 14-50 plug) can all deliver 40A to the car when used with a 50A circuit. Only Gen2 Mobile Connector and certain Gen1 Mobile Connector 6-50 and 14-50 adapters are limited to 32A.

If I do decide to get a Tesla wall connector, I presume the 50 amp breaker and 4 conductor cable I just ran through the attic and inside the wall will be sufficient?
Yes; the Tesla wall connectors will be set by the user or electrician (either physically or via software, depending on the generation) to the max current they should draw. If you dial the connector to 40 Amps, your 50 Amp breaker and wiring will be GTG.