Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 kWh Battery lost 32 miles range overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new 60kWh car was parked overnight unplugged. It showed 130 miles projected before going to sleep for the night. In the morning it was 98 miles. At first I though it was because it was cold but I never saw it get any higher as I drove it over to the local Blink charger for a top up before the 88 mile trip home. I was expecting to lose maybe 8 miles but not 32! I have 4.1 firmware and I think the car is in sleep mode but I'm not 100% sure. Ideas?

8403327180_83fcc00678_z.jpg
8402238247_5b1aa00e81_z.jpg

Probably not in sleep mode. Go into Settings and set Keep Displays Powered to Off.

(Then again... it's a bit buggy in 4.1 so maybe you don't want to.)

Was definitely in sleep mode. I did top up the battery on a public charger and got more than expected range back. I think the 98 miles was a temporary understatement perhaps due to the cold. I will post more as I experiment and learn more about what is really happening.

8402606015_fdf737255f_n.jpg

That's what I saw too - a big loss overnight in the cold, but most (not all) of the miles came back as the car warmed up.

I think you are right. Two hours of charging on a 30A charger shouldnt add 64 miles of range so most of the "lost" capacity is coming back as the car warms up.
Basically this means you can't trust the range estimate in the (cold) morning. Better to remember what the range was at night.

8403702172_b57f91bb2c_z.jpg
8403846610_45cbee4b38_z.jpg

Attachments

• 8403846610_45cbee4b38.jpg
    8403846610_45cbee4b38.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 667
hans, One good indicator to know the range might be lower than what you would get once the battery warms up is the appearance of the dashed yellow line in your 98 mile range picture. It is letting you know that regen will be limited to the battery temp. not being up to snuff. I've seen this too, and been amazed at how the range doesn't really drop that much as the battery warms up while I am driving the car.

is it possible the car is estimating the added air resistance and other effects of cold on range and not just lost range due to battery warming, if so, that would actually be quite useful to know. I look forward to the day we can put in the address of our destination and the range estimate will take into account all known factors like temperature, direction of wind, elevation changes etc all along the way and estimate the balance of range left on arrival.