Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

62.8 Hz at 92%?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, they do comply with industry standards all the time, even if they build all electric cars. ;)
If it is not standard, then the inverter and battery must be Tesla and not compatible with some other battery makers. A no choice choice for customers.

They could easily make an inverter that can shut off at the required frequency yet also have an alternate shutoff mechanism when their inverter is paired with a TEG/PW.

They could easily make an inverter that can shut off at the required frequency yet also have an alternate shutoff mechanism when their inverter is paired with a TEG/PW.
This is what I'm thinking might be a first version. To go even further, to comply with industry standards/codes (and, perhaps more importantly, utility regulations) they could have the inverter use frequency shutoffs at x% but also have the option to send a shutoff command at like x-1%. Assuming the new shutoff command works properly and promptly, you could avoid frequency changes, but if it fails, then the standard shutoff via frequency change occurs.

Another nice feature on a proprietary inverter would be to make the inverter aware of whether it was on-grid or on an islanded micro-grid. The Ride-Through requirements for on-grid seem to be at odds with proportional curtailment when islanded. The curtailment command could be "out of band" too so that there is no frequency change on the micro-grid.

And all of this would be much easier and smoother with DC coupling.

They would need to make another DC version of the powerwall. Its my understanding they went to AC coupled because then it can be used with almost any system. Not as efficient, but much more compatible (thus easier to sell). They are having no issues selling these so far, so it looks like the right choice for sales, if not for efficiency.

And all of this would be much easier and smoother with DC coupling.
DC coupled solar and battery systems are a completely different system architecture which have their own pro/con. It doesn't make sense to me to bring that into a discussion of Powerwall 2 systems because it is not even a remote possibility of integration.

The Generac PWRcell system originally engineered by Pika Energy has a certain elegance to it since it's based on a high voltage DC bus, but it's not a completely fleshed out ecosystem and needs a lot more optimization and cost reduction before it can be competitive with Powerwalls.

So I just had the new tesla solar inverter installed and 2PWs.. I get 65Hz when I stimulate a Grid outage, even when PWs are 70%. Waited 15 minutes and my solar would not kick back on. Might be a configuration issue, but seems like tesla doesn't have the gateway talk to the inverter yet other than the hertz raise.

My wireless controlled fans go nuts, wash machine wont work and LED lights on GE zwave dimmers go NUTS. I have my town inspection Monday, and hope to get PTO soon after that, but I will asking the tech when he comes out Monday.

So I just had the new tesla solar inverter installed and 2PWs.. I get 65Hz when I stimulate a Grid outage, even when PWs are 70%. Waited 15 minutes and my solar would not kick back on. Might be a configuration issue, but seems like tesla doesn't have the gateway talk to the inverter yet other than the hertz raise.

My wireless controlled fans go nuts, wash machine wont work and LED lights on GE zwave dimmers go NUTS. I have my town inspection Monday, and hope to get PTO soon after that, but I will asking the tech when he comes out Monday.
I would find out at what frequency the inverter shuts off, certainly lower than 65Hz. Then call Tesla and tell them your house is going crazy with 65HZ and they need to lower it to the inverter cut off frequency plus 0.5 Hz, pucker factor.
I would think what you are describing perhaps the house cannot use all the solar energy and the charge rate for the batter is not high enough to use the rest of the generation? So it shuts off the solar.