Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

670hp Model 3? Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think Tesla would upgrade the performance version? Seems plausible and quite easy
Musk said he doesn’t want to complicate the Model 3. He doesn’t want to make versions of the Model 3 that use vastly different components.

I don’t think we will ever see a higher performance Model 3. His focus is on making more Model Ys faster and cheaper and getting the CyberTruck to production.

Musk said he doesn’t want to complicate the Model 3. He doesn’t want to make versions of the Model 3 that use vastly different components.

I don’t think we will ever see a higher performance Model 3. His focus is on making more Model Ys faster and cheaper and getting the CyberTruck to production.
Agreed, but the motors are drop in replacements. It means no real changes to the manufacturing line but much higher performance with the LR Model S motors.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Agreed, but the motors are drop in replacements. It means no real changes to the manufacturing line but much higher performance with the LR Model S motors.
Musk was specifically asked recently if there would be a Plaid Model 3 and he said no because it would complicate things.

As simple as it may sound to just “drop in” some different motors it really complicates the supply chain and the ordering and just everything that slows down production.

We can all hope for it but Musk was specifically asked about it and he basically scoffed and said no.

Sorry to say but it isn’t going to happen.

Musk was specifically asked recently if there would be a Plaid Model 3 and he said no because it would complicate things.

As simple as it may sound to just “drop in” some different motors it really complicates the supply chain and the ordering and just everything that slows down production.

We can all hope for it but Musk was specifically asked about it and he basically scoffed and said no.

Sorry to say but it isn’t going to happen.
It’s not as simple as drive motors.

I mean. I guess you could Frankenstein it but you’d just wind up with a car who’s only purpose is showing off at the drag strip unless you upgrade the suspension, braking.

And you’d still get kicked off the track for no roll cage.

Most tracks in my area now allow the AWD Electric cars to run some pretty ridiculous times without any safety equipment. They changed the rules specifically for Teslas. Our track wouldn’t start saying something until the 8s probably.
That seems safe. Hope the participants are aware insurance is null and void unless they carry a specific track policy.

• Funny
Reactions: Jo060
That seems safe. Hope the participants are aware insurance is null and void unless they carry a specific track policy.
Some regular insurance policies don’t exclude tracks or racing. It all just depends on the policy. I watched a guy ball up his Mustang GT500 at the track. He called his insurance person and they said it was covered because his policy didn’t specifically exclude it.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Speaking of Horse Power, are these numbers from Wikipedia correct? Also, any reason why the Tesla website displays HP numbers for the Model S and Model X, but no HP numbers for the Model 3 and Model Y?

Tesla M3HPTorque (lb-ft)
RWD283330
AWD346376
AWD Performance450471

The EPA documents in the video show the power ratings of the motors

131kW front motor (176hp)
190 or 195kW rear motor (255-261hp) - I couldn't tell which one goes to performance model

Total of 431-437hp
This is the latest Model 3 Performance specs on the fueleconomy.gov website.

I find it hard to believe that 431 HP at the motors is enough for an 11.4 @ 117 mph 1/4 mile in a 4300 lb car with driver. I think Tesla is VASTLY underreporting the capabilities of the Model 3 Performance there.

Some of the older versions of the Model 3 Performance said they had 480 HP on the same website.

I don't think the EPA actually holds them to the power figures they report to them. They only care about the efficiency numbers. Other manufactures have issues with their power figures too.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Speaking of Horse Power, are these numbers from Wikipedia correct? Also, any reason why the Tesla website displays HP numbers for the Model S and Model X, but no HP numbers for the Model 3 and Model Y?

Tesla M3HPTorque (lb-ft)
RWD283330
AWD346376
AWD Performance450471

I don’t believe those numbers are correct. There is of course the difference between power at the “crank” or to the wheels, too.

User wugz on Reddit did some runs a while back.

And apparently on documents in Europe 513HP is specified.

So it’s tough to know. Really need the CAN bus data and know whether what is specified is at motor input or output, etc.

Presumably torque is reported at motor output but not sure about the power numbers reported for front and rear motors.

Can dig through this website and you’ll probably [definitely!!!] find someone has done the analysis after the power bump.

I think it is probably near 500HP but really have no idea without sifting through all this stuff again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3
Can we all assume the M3 chassis, suspension and braking as it is couldnt handle plaid power?

There are tremendous hardware and design changes that need to occur to allow for double the current power specs to safely achieve plaid like speeds or close to.

Elon will not spend the $ as this price point.
Plaid 3? Sure. Add 50k to the price.
He simply won’t.

I don’t believe those numbers are correct. There is of course the difference between power at the “crank” or to the wheels, too.

User wugz on Reddit did some runs a while back.

And apparently on documents in Europe 513HP is specified.

So it’s tough to know. Really need the CAN bus data and know whether what is specified is at motor input or output, etc.

Presumably torque is reported at motor output but not sure about the power numbers reported for front and rear motors.

Can dig through this website and you’ll probably [definitely!!!] find someone has done the analysis after the power bump.

I think it is probably near 500HP but really have no idea without sifting through all this stuff again.
The Can Bus data reads way higher than actual numbers but it does plot the curves accurately. It also is good for comparing different “Max Discharge” values.

448 KW is the max combined real time data I have observed. The actual value is probably more like 400 KW to the wheels or 536 HP.

CF650213-AE66-493B-AC62-DCF18548D438.jpeg