Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

670hp Model 3? Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Don't get me wrong, from everything I've read and seen the i4 M50 is an overweight, overly-smooth GT car that will never handle as well as an M3P with a good suspension, which means it's not my kind of car, but we're talking about straight line acceleration here...)
This. Now if they make a real M EV, that might be enough to make me go back to BMW.

Whatever this turns into seems promising. Though probably will be out of my price range for now

I don’t believe those numbers are correct. There is of course the difference between power at the “crank” or to the wheels, too.

User wugz on Reddit did some runs a while back.

And apparently on documents in Europe 513HP is specified.

So it’s tough to know. Really need the CAN bus data and know whether what is specified is at motor input or output, etc.

Presumably torque is reported at motor output but not sure about the power numbers reported for front and rear motors.

Can dig through this website and you’ll probably [definitely!!!] find someone has done the analysis after the power bump.

I think it is probably near 500HP but really have no idea without sifting through all this stuff again.

You are correct. The 450 hp rating was even prior to the 5% hp software update we got in the end of 2019. Now they've switched to the hairpin motors, which supposedly cause a little less interference, increasing the power a bit more. Would assume those two things are what make up the amount in between these two numbers.

Weight reduction and some nice light forged wheels on sticky rubber will get you closer to that…
As you get quicker and quicker it gets much harder to achieve the same gains. The Boost upgrade on the Dual Motor cars was just unlocking what was being crippled by software.

There isn’t a lot more that can be had from a Model 3 Performance over the quickest times that have been posted already. The car is pushing the battery and motors pretty hard already.

I'll preface this by saying I don't know electric systems very well.... but if the battery were a limitation, would it potentially increase performance if there were large capacitors that could store larger amounts of electricity, and dump it during full throttle runs? Maybe something like a drag mode where it charges the capacitors before the launch?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'll preface this by saying I don't know electric systems very well.... but if the battery were a limitation, would it potentially increase performance if there were large capacitors that could store larger amounts of electricity, and dump it during full throttle runs? Maybe something like a drag mode where it charges the capacitors before the launch?
You mean like a ludicrous/cheetah mode?

but if the battery were a limitation, would it potentially increase performance if there were large capacitors that could store larger amounts of electricity, and dump it during full throttle runs? Maybe something like a drag mode where it charges the capacitors before the launch?
Sure, this is a possible way for drag racing. But another 100HP of energy in capacitors for 10 seconds is a LOT of capacitance.
Quick math says 745,700J. If you can tolerate 50V of sag on the capacitors, that's 600F of capacitance. Not microfarads. Farads. At 500V.
This is thousands of dollars and hundreds of pounds of capacitors.

I watched a guy ball up his Mustang GT500 at the track. He called his insurance person and they said it was covered because his policy didn’t specifically exclude it.
I would really like the name of this insurer as I am always trying to find policies that don't exclude events at facilities designed for racing. It's basically unheard of nowadays after a few major incidents in the mid 2000's.

Sure, this is a possible way for drag racing. But another 100HP of energy in capacitors for 10 seconds is a LOT of capacitance.
Quick math says 745,700J. If you can tolerate 50V of sag on the capacitors, that's 600F of capacitance. Not microfarads. Farads. At 500V.
This is thousands of dollars and hundreds of pounds of capacitors.
Given what we/people spend and do just to race around cones in a parking lot, doesn't sound like that big of a deal. I mean, there's a lot of people that won't even blink at spending $5k+ just to get 100whp. New motor, Trans, etc...

You could always call hagarty or some of the other who offer track day insurance.
Yes, for hundreds of dollars a day. The OP posted as if it was just part of a standard automotive insurance policy.

Given what we/people spend and do just to race around cones in a parking lot, doesn't sound like that big of a deal. I mean, there's a lot of people that won't even blink at spending $5k+ just to get 100whp. New motor, Trans, etc...
You can't just bolt this on. Tesla would need to fully support this, warrant it, sell it, etc. Because you have to actually change the firmware in the motors to take advantage of this, and do some pretty complicated charging cycles on the capacitors. Nobody has cracked the Tesla motor and battery firmware open yet. If they did, they could just tell the car to be faster, screw the warranty on the batteries.

Meanwhile, Tesla already knows how to use batteries to make the car much faster, so why would they do this? You want a fast quarter mile? Buy a Plaid. You want to go fast around corners? Put that Roadster deposit down.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Yes, for hundreds of dollars a day. The OP posted as if it was just part of a standard automotive insurance policy.

You can't just bolt this on. Tesla would need to fully support this, warrant it, sell it, etc. Because you have to actually change the firmware in the motors to take advantage of this, and do some pretty complicated charging cycles on the capacitors. Nobody has cracked the Tesla motor and battery firmware open yet. If they did, they could just tell the car to be faster, screw the warranty on the batteries.

Meanwhile, Tesla already knows how to use batteries to make the car much faster, so why would they do this? You want a fast quarter mile? Buy a Plaid. You want to go fast around corners? Put that Roadster deposit down.
Roadster 202....X?

I would really like the name of this insurer as I am always trying to find policies that don't exclude events at facilities designed for racing. It's basically unheard of nowadays after a few major incidents in the mid 2000's.
His was a local insurance company. However, I checked my Geico documentation and it doesn’t include any references to “racing” or “track” but it does have a clause that says if it isn’t explicitly excluded in the document then it is covered.

I don’t want to test it because I know they would try to find a way out of it but that is what the documentation says.

I think some companies have a “racing” clause but not necessarily a “track” clause. They would cover your car if you were driving 150 mph down the road as long as you aren’t “racing” anyone. Therefore, they will also cover you running around a track as long as you aren’t “racing” anyone else.

The best thing is to assume they won’t cover it but check to see if they explicitly exclude it in the documentation. If they don’t exclude it then at least you have a little bit to stand on if it does happen.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
His was a local insurance company. However, I checked my Geico documentation and it doesn’t include any references to “racing” or “track” but it does have a clause that says if it isn’t explicitly excluded in the document then it is covered.

Your Geico policy doesn't have this language? It's been there when I've looked:
Loss caused by an auto driven in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized.

It's even been litigated in Berger vs Geico and Solis vs Geico.