Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6th drive unit replacement and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gosh I just read this whole post - how distressing that Elon hasn't called you personally. Maybe he's in a bad mood after having the Space X rocket blow up on the launchpad (I could see the smoke from my house - 20 miles downwind:-(
Our late 2015 single motor RWD S70 has had no problems in 20K miles other than the frunk doesn't always open on the first try. I don't know how to check which DU we have. Didn't think it was worth 5K extra for two motors here in FL and I love the extra space we get where there is no motor in the front (the microwave). Please keep us updated. What tires do you have and have you replaced the originals already?

@David99 - I got my 85 RWD in March 2014 (same as you) and no drive unit problems at all (knock wood) but your posts do make me consider buying the extended warranty.

Do you, or anyone else here, know what a drive unit replacement out of warranty costs?

Good luck with your problems and I hope Tesla fixes it right this time.

@David99 - I got my 85 RWD in March 2014 (same as you) and no drive unit problems at all (knock wood) but your posts do make me consider buying the extended warranty.

Do you, or anyone else here, know what a drive unit replacement out of warranty costs?

Good luck with your problems and I hope Tesla fixes it right this time.
The drive unit is covered under the 8 year/unlimited mile powertrain & battery warranty, not the standard 4 year/50k mile new car warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
@David99 I also have 19" wheels and my car has always had a terrible tramlining problem. Even the smallest grooves, ruts or unevenness in the road surface makes my car feel like it's "all over the place". I've had my suspension looked at many times, each time there is no issue and they usually attribute the feeling to my air suspension ("floaty"). Whenever I get a loaner, it's had 21" wheels the feeling was much less pronounced. In a P85+ it's a complete non-issue. I don't know if it's just my car, or if this is a common thing.

@David99 I also have 19" wheels and my car has always had a terrible tramlining problem. Even the smallest grooves, ruts or unevenness in the road surface makes my car feel like it's "all over the place". I've had my suspension looked at many times, each time there is no issue and they usually attribute the feeling to my air suspension ("floaty"). Whenever I get a loaner, it's had 21" wheels the feeling was much less pronounced. In a P85+ it's a complete non-issue. I don't know if it's just my car, or if this is a common thing.

Same here. My car is also very sensitive to grooves in the road surface. More than other cars I have driven. My car has coils (not air suspension) so I can assure you it has nothing to do with that. I had many different loaners and don't remember exactly if they were better. I remember the last two loaners I had and they showed similar behavior. I would believe tires make a big difference.

Same here. My car is also very sensitive to grooves in the road surface. More than other cars I have driven. My car has coils (not air suspension) so I can assure you it has nothing to do with that. I had many different loaners and don't remember exactly if they were better. I remember the last two loaners I had and they showed similar behavior. I would believe tires make a big difference.

Thanks. I'll request more toe-in on my next alignment and maybe consider switching to 21" wheels. They don't appear to have the same issues. I've experienced the tramlining issue on both the OEM Primacy tires as well as the Pilot Sport A/S 3 which I currently have. The Pilot Sports were much improved when new, but now after about 10,000 miles they are tramlining just like the Primacies.

Thanks. I'll request more toe-in on my next alignment and maybe consider switching to 21" wheels. They don't appear to have the same issues. I've experienced the tramlining issue on both the OEM Primacy tires as well as the Pilot Sport A/S 3 which I currently have. The Pilot Sports were much improved when new, but now after about 10,000 miles they are tramlining just like the Primacies.
The 21" staggered wheels on my 2013 P85+ follow the grooves in the road. Michelin Pilot Sports.

• Informative
Reactions: David99