Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2014 85 - Drive unit failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! i got a question! Today while riding on gravel road (very bumpy) the gear indicators turned red "PRND" after few accelerator clicks the power came back. after two mins same happened and after few times accelerator press - car came back to life again. and drove 30km back home with no issues. Is DU leaking a coolant? Maybe its a bug or something? please advice.

I am following on this. Any updates?
Yes. Took out the speed sensor, it had dropplets of coolant, that made me go look for a service. The mechanics took off the motor, and it had a little coolant in it, but that wasn't a reason for RED gears, the reason of that was the some kind of a connector somewhere near motor, which was oxidised, and had very bad contact, so they cleaned it, replaced the pins, dried out the motor, changed the sealings and all good now. Paid 1500$ for that.

Yes. Took out the speed sensor, it had dropplets of coolant, that made me go look for a service. The mechanics took off the motor, and it had a little coolant in it, but that wasn't a reason for RED gears, the reason of that was the some kind of a connector somewhere near motor, which was oxidised, and had very bad contact, so they cleaned it, replaced the pins, dried out the motor, changed the sealings and all good now. Paid 1500$ for that.
My gosh, this is way much better than paying $7-8k. I wish if I had this option too. Are you at Lithuania...? which company did this for you?