Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seat configuration < 6 seat configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 7 seater is what makes the Model X perfect for my next car. I'm surprised that it's not a more popular option.
  • The 6 seater is definitely more comfortable for the people in the 3rd row, but it only fits one additional person in the car verses a Model S that fits 5 adults. Having the flexibility of transporting 7 people vs 6 is great
  • For me, a cool selling point with the initial Model X Reveal was the fact that all seats fold flat and you can "practically fit a queen sized bed in there." The ability to transport 7 people and also have the ability to transport lots of cargo with the same vehicle seems to be exclusive to the 7 seater config. The 6 seat configuration loses some cargo volume when the rear seats aren't in use.
  • The 7 seater is the only configuration where the 2nd row seat back reclines independent of the seat cushion. Even though it's it doesn't look or feel like a premium experience by manually yanking a lever, it adds additional functionality to the seats and it's pretty cool
Hopefully they make the 2nd row's seat electronically recline, fold, and slide soon.

6 seater also doesn’t tilt in the second row. Not sure if this is a big deal.

Unless something has changed, 6 seater definitely tilts in the second row - in fact it is the only one where the seat tilts. 5/7 seater nowadays have reclining/folding backs for the second row, but 6 seater has non-folding seatbacks while being able to tilt the entire seat. The tilt range is less than the back recline range on the 5/7 seater though. The six-seater also uses the tilt in its electric Easy Entry functionality when moving forwards and tilting a bit forward also to facilitate third-row access...

Unless something has changed, 6 seater definitely tilts in the second row - in fact it is the only one where the seat tilts. 5/7 seater nowadays have reclining/folding backs for the second row, but 6 seater has non-folding seatbacks while being able to tilt the entire seat. The tilt range is less than the back recline range on the 5/7 seater though. The six-seater also uses the tilt in its electric Easy Entry functionality when moving forwards and tilting a bit forward also to facilitate third-row access...

Sorry. I meant 2nd row in 6 seater doesn't "recline". It only tilts.

As well, some people have said that trunk items slide forward when third row is folded.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
When I sit in the 3rd row of our 6-seater and stretch out, my legs reach the front of the 2nd row, so I’d definitely have to disagree with the statement that 2nd-row console provides “maximum foot room for any 3rd row passengers.”

You’re right, @Musterion Thanks for the clarification. I meant that Tesla crafted the console in such a way as to provide the maximum amount of foot room possible, given that there’s a console in the way.

You’re right, @Musterion Thanks for the clarification. I meant that Tesla crafted the console in such a way as to provide the maximum amount of foot room possible, given that there’s a console in the way.

I’m glad it is working for you. It is great to have the choice of several configurations. I agree with others that it would be wonderful if the seats in the Model X reveal made it to production.

Best: try it out by yourself!
I wanted the 5 seater, but I tried it out and for me the second row seats have been very uncomfortable.
I tried the 6 seater and it is so much more comfortable in the second and in the 3rd row then the 5 or 7 seater.
We have a dog and he is very comfortable between the second row seats.
However, if you need to transport big things, the 5 seater would be best.

I really like my 7 seat monopost that has been discontinued. If my buyback is going through, I will probably pick the 7 seat again. How hard would it be to access the 3rd row without removing the car seats? Does the Tesla bench seats offer any advantage over other SUV's bench seats in terms of 3rd row access or is it just as useless when you have child seats installed?

Why buyback??

We have a 7 seater with new bench second row. Although the monopost seats do look cool I never liked the fact they couldn't be folded flat. We held out buying hoping tesla would release folding middle row. We also didnt want to find out how much it would cost to fix a monopost out of warranty. I think the X has too many motors as it is.

As far as kids in car seats, we have three. Kids are 6, 2 and 1. They are all in car seats. I have them all in the middle row. You can't access third row with car seat installed. When ever I do need to use third row I will remove the 6 year old who sits behind passenger seat and put him in the third row. We usually use the X as a five seater. Third row is always folded. We don't really need the third row too often but it's nice to have when you do need it, or if in the future if some swimmers get by and a 4th baby comes along.

Personal opinion new seven seater makes the X more like a true SUV/crossover with folding middle row

One more thing: the six seater seats are designed for easy entry while holding child seats. The seven seater's design may require child seat removal for third row entry.
This is the reason I went w. 6 and center console instead of 7... I cannot imagine my kids being able to get to rear seat themselves on the 7 seater manual. Heck, i don't even think my parents would be able to do it. The design of the 7 seater needs a quick revision.

I'm 5'10" and I can sit comfortably in the 3rd row in the new 7 seater. Not comfortable at all in a 6 seater or the old 7 seater (electronic 2nd row). The new 7 seater is MUCH better for space in the 3rd row

I was all for the 7-seater on paper. Once I had a chance to explorer the interior in person, I quickly disqualified it. I'm 5'9" and found it extremely cramped in the third row and to much of a sacrifice of 2nd-row legroom.

The 6-seater is definitely much preferred. I can easily imagine transporting a combination of kids, teenagers, and adults in comfort. With the clear center aisle, even I would be comfortable in the third row on long trips.