Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 kW up to a 90 kW battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been thinking about purchasing the model S 70D 2016 model. I was wondering if anybody knows that if there's a battery upgrade in the future where I can go from 75 to 90 battery pack down the road.. Just looking to save some money from my original purchase and if I need to go to a bigger battery with Tesla sell me a bigger battery?

I have been thinking about purchasing the model S 70D 2016 model. I was wondering if anybody knows that if there's a battery upgrade in the future where I can go from 75 to 90 battery pack down the road.. Just looking to save some money from my original purchase and if I need to go to a bigger battery with Tesla sell me a bigger battery?

I have an 85D. When Tesla came out with the 90D, I think the upgrade cost to replace my batteries was $22k. Definitely not worth it.. I would guess the cost of going with a 90D vs 75D is less than the cost to upgrade later. Once again - not worth it for the 90 as an aftermarket upgrade. I think it might be worth upgrading in 3 years when hopefully the pack is even larger. But by then there will probably be so much more technology you might as well get a new car if you can. Just my opinion. And one of the reasons I opted to lease..

Battery production is a major bottleneck for Tesla's overall car production right now, and that seems to discourage them from offering upgrades like this. It's likely that a few years down the line, when the Gigafactory is really cranking and battery costs have come down, reasonably priced upgrades will be available. But it's hard to say for sure. I certainly wouldn't buy the car if that's a requirement for you, treat it as a bonus if it happens.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
In response to a question about being able to drive the same Tesla forever using pack upgrades, I think Elon tweeted something about that being a possibility down the road. But I would think is more of a 5-10 year kind of thing. As said above, I would not buy a 75 now thinking you'll just upgrade in a couple of years. If you need the 90, get the 90 now.

Reactions: newtman
Battery production is a major bottleneck for Tesla's overall car production right now, and that seems to discourage them from offering upgrades like this. It's likely that a few years down the line, when the Gigafactory is really cranking and battery costs have come down, reasonably priced upgrades will be available. But it's hard to say for sure. I certainly wouldn't buy the car if that's a requirement for you, treat it as a bonus if it happens.

So you're saying by the car with the 75 kW and see what happens down the road or buy it now with the 90 kW

So you're saying by the car with the 75 kW and see what happens down the road or buy it now with the 90 kW

Buy whichever one makes sense for you without ever upgrading it.

If you only want a 75 now but you think you'll really want a 90 in a few years, then buy a 90 now, because upgrading may end up being costly or impossible.

If you only want a 75 now and you think a 75 would be fine but you think it might be nice to be able to upgrade to a 90 someday, then buy the 75 and hope.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Buy whichever one makes sense for you without ever upgrading it.

If you only want a 75 now but you think you'll really want a 90 in a few years, then buy a 90 now, because upgrading may end up being costly or impossible.

If you only want a 75 now and you think a 75 would be fine but you think it might be nice to be able to upgrade to a 90 someday, then buy the 75 and hope.

Ok thanks for you input.

Yes, you can do this, last I checked it was still around 22k.

I would hold off, personally, until there is something 100 or more kWh available. Doesn't seem worth it till then.
Upgrading to the 100kW pack would require modifications to the vehicles structure to accommodate the extra (yet significant) weight! Best option is to get the largest kW battery that fits your price range