Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

750 Miles in ‘23 LR Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, committed to doing the annual ski trip from London to the French alps in the Y/LR which is 750 miles door to door. Some learnings from me:

The Supercharger network appears to be as good as they say (in France 😆).

2C144C3C-1E7A-4163-9681-AD92380E42E1.jpeg

The nav planned it all out perfectly and there was only one instance where I arrived with 7% but I was sitting at 85mph for a while that stretch. I find that 70mph-75mph is the best balance for battery / progress. First experience with 250KW charging 🏆 Throttling past the point of reaching next destination is bit annoying. Was worried about charger congestion as I went during school break but often I was the only one there lol. The French don’t seem to like EVs as all the Teslas I saw were Brits / other countries.

Ride is better on the motorway but still not great. Seats gave me lumbar aches that my BMWs never did (both had lumbar support) and I did much longer trips in those. Think they’re also too soft.

Three instances of phantom braking whilst on AP, one quite scary, where there was zero danger - that’s too many really.

9EAAD853-2D5F-4DF4-890C-D1FA0332BFFC.jpeg

That’s me 2,000 meters up. It’s been parked in sub zero temps day and night and so far only losing 1% per 24 hours. Not 1% of total battery just a 1% unit - no sentry mode tho. Dual Motor helpful up here too.

All in all, impressed and confident of doing longer trips in it. I did bring the mobile charger (and a long extension) as a last resort but was never close to needing it.

Interesting. I expected better in favor of SC network. Still, 50% is a LOT.
Model Y/LR - 83KWh battery.
Supercharger costs in France = 40 Cents per KWh.
Full charge - €33 to 330 'Battery' Miles
Actual Mileage Range 280-300 Miles
Car achieves approx 3.6 Miles per KWh = approx 11 Cents per mile.
750 Miles trip = €82.5

I've done this trip many times in IC cars and my last BMW was about €120 to fill up and required around two and 1/4 fills so approx €260.

Well, committed to doing the annual ski trip from London to the French alps in the Y/LR which is 750 miles door to door. Some learnings from me:

View attachment 907052

The nav planned it all out perfectly and there was only one instance where I arrived with 7% but I was sitting at 85mph for a while that stretch. I find that 70mph-75mph is the best balance for battery / progress. First experience with 250KW charging 🏆 Throttling past the point of reaching next destination is bit annoying. Was worried about charger congestion as I went during school break but often I was the only one there lol. The French don’t seem to like EVs as all the Teslas I saw were Brits / other countries.

Ride is better on the motorway but still not great. Seats gave me lumbar aches that my BMWs never did (both had lumbar support) and I did much longer trips in those. Think they’re also too soft.

Three instances of phantom braking whilst on AP, one quite scary, where there was zero danger - that’s too many really.

View attachment 907057

That’s me 2,000 meters up. It’s been parked in sub zero temps day and night and so far only losing 1% per 24 hours. Not 1% of total battery just a 1% unit - no sentry mode tho. Dual Motor helpful up here too.

All in all, impressed and confident of doing longer trips in it. I did bring the mobile charger (and a long extension) as a last resort but was never close to needing it.
Don’t forget that the accelerator is active while in Autopilot. I just step on it during any phantom braking/overuse of brake occurrences which eliminates the total hard stop and gets you going forward again. Stepping on the accelerator in Autopilot does not cancel Autopilot.

Last edited:

View attachment 907052

View attachment 907057

I love how you took the time to block your own license plate but no one else’s license plate shown in the same photo! 🤣

Model Y/LR - 83KWh battery.
Supercharger costs in France = 40 Cents per KWh.
Full charge - €33 to 330 'Battery' Miles
Actual Mileage Range 280-300 Miles
Car achieves approx 3.6 Miles per KWh = approx 11 Cents per mile.
750 Miles trip = €82.5

I've done this trip many times in IC cars and my last BMW was about €120 to fill up and required around two and 1/4 fills so approx €260.
Do the Model Y’s being sold in E(U)K come equipped with different sized battery packs than those made/sold here in the USA—does anyone know? I picked up this info on Model Y battery pack sizes (BELOW) but forgot to snag the online source (apologies). I’m unconvinced that the Model Y (LR/AWD), which I own, has a 83kWh battery pack size.

2023 Model Y Performance (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 78.1 kWh
Usable: 75.0 kWh

2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 78.1 kWh*
Usable: 75.0 kWh*

2023 Model Y (RWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 60.0 kWh
Usable: 57.5 kWh

* Model Y (LR/AWD) is obviously throttled back—despite being equipped with the same battery pack as the Model Y Performance—as any Model Y (LR/AWD) can be speed upgraded (from stock 4.7sec 0-60mph to 4.2sec) with TESLA Acceleration Boost for a mere $2k.

I have just arrived back home from a similar trip today. I went from London to La Plagne in the French Alps and back. I have a 2022 Model Y LR with standard 19" Gemini Wheels. I fitted Continental AllSeasonContact tyres before I travelled so was a bit concerned what this would do to my range. My stats are below for those interested. My currencies are in UK Pounds.

Distance: 1480 mi
Consumption: 346 Wh/mi
Energy used: 512 kWh
Cost: £177
£0.1196 p/m

The superchargers in France ranged in cost between £0.29 kWh - £0.40 kWh which I found to be pretty good and there are a lot of them so I found it extremely easy to travel in the Tesla. I did plenty of research about the other charging networks and got a bunch of cards that I never needed at all.

I found that I was able to be very picky about which superchargers to use (150kW or 250kW) and would sometimes navigate to a 250kW charger to get the speed. I managed to charge for free one night in an Ibis hotel which was a bonus (40 kWh)!

At the Eurotunnel terminal in Calais, I ended up using a non-Tesla DC charger for the first time. I was only getting 60kW from the Supercharger as all the bays were in use and there was a bunch of 210kW Engie DC chargers right opposite for a slightly cheaper rate. Since I had a RFID card handy that activated it, I plugged into that for 12 minutes and got 25kW.

I usually get between 280 and 300 Wh/mi so I would put the increased consumption down to the fact that I drove almost the entire distance at 81 mph (130 kmh) whereas in the UK I drive at 70 mph. The cost of this trip for me was really low to transport a family of four in a fully loaded vehicle such a long distance. In the past I have used approximately 200 litres of diesel to go this distance with a simlar load and car size and this would cost £355 at €2 per litre. This trip is about 50% cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: dzajic and SO16
I have just arrived back home from a similar trip today. I went from London to La Plagne in the French Alps and back. I have a 2022 Model Y LR with standard 19" Gemini Wheels. I fitted Continental AllSeasonContact tyres before I travelled so was a bit concerned what this would do to my range. My stats are below for those interested. My currencies are in UK Pounds.

Distance: 1480 mi
Consumption: 346 Wh/mi
Energy used: 512 kWh
Cost: £177
£0.1196 p/m

The superchargers in France ranged in cost between £0.29 kWh - £0.40 kWh which I found to be pretty good and there are a lot of them so I found it extremely easy to travel in the Tesla. I did plenty of research about the other charging networks and got a bunch of cards that I never needed at all.

I found that I was able to be very picky about which superchargers to use (150kW or 250kW) and would sometimes navigate to a 250kW charger to get the speed. I managed to charge for free one night in an Ibis hotel which was a bonus (40 kWh)!

At the Eurotunnel terminal in Calais, I ended up using a non-Tesla DC charger for the first time. I was only getting 60kW from the Supercharger as all the bays were in use and there was a bunch of 210kW Engie DC chargers right opposite for a slightly cheaper rate. Since I had a RFID card handy that activated it, I plugged into that for 12 minutes and got 25kW.

I usually get between 280 and 300 Wh/mi so I would put the increased consumption down to the fact that I drove almost the entire distance at 81 mph (130 kmh) whereas in the UK I drive at 70 mph. The cost of this trip for me was really low to transport a family of four in a fully loaded vehicle such a long distance. In the past I have used approximately 200 litres of diesel to go this distance with a simlar load and car size and this would cost £355 at €2 per litre. This trip is about 50% cheaper.
Thanks for sharing! Curious about something: Is there a tunnel or a bridge that goes across the English Channel, or perhaps a ferry trip required?

Where I live in the USA, we have among the cheapest and most reliable energy providers. My cost to power my 2023 TESLA Model Y (LR/AWD) is right at 25% of the cost I would normally pay to fill-up my old ACURA TSX (ICE) @ 22mpg fuel economy. Interestingly, I’ve only SuperCharged my Model Y once, and TESLA charged me $0.42/kWh to charge @ 250kWh. I pay $0.0849/kWh to charge @ home, so it would seem that TESLA is more expensive to SuperCharge on roadtrips than if I drove my ACURA TSX (ICE)—AND I’d have to stop to SuperCharge more frequently than I normally would stop for ICE fuel. (Our 2021 HONDA Odyssey minivan is more comfortable than both the ACURA and the Model Y on roadtrips—with a family of five—and gets better fuel economy than the ACURA; plus, it can travel about 477mi in between fill-ups, allowing for longer range and fewer stops.)

Does anyone know if TESLA charges the same rate for charging across their network or if it varies by location and delivery speed??? If it varies, is there a map or an app that shows their various rates per kWh…??? (150kWh SuperCharger locations may be cheaper to charge at than 250kWh SuperCharger locations.)

Thanks for sharing! Curious about something: Is there a tunnel or a bridge that goes across the English Channel, or perhaps a ferry trip required?
There is a tunnel which has a train running through it. Vehicles can't drive through, they go on the train.

See here

There are plenty of ferries too.

Does anyone know if TESLA charges the same rate for charging across their network or if it varies by location and delivery speed??? If it varies, is there a map or an app that shows their various rates per kWh…??? (150kWh SuperCharger locations may be cheaper to charge at than 250kWh SuperCharger locations.)
They don't charge the same rate and prices can differ between locations. There doesn't appear to be a single source of pricing information, just what shows up in the car. Oddly, even the app which will show locations and live data on occupancy still doesn't show prices.

Reactions: JamiePP

Where I live in the USA, we have among the cheapest and most reliable energy providers. My cost to power my 2023 TESLA Model Y (LR/AWD) is right at 25% of the cost I would normally pay to fill-up my old ACURA TSX (ICE) @ 22mpg fuel economy. Interestingly, I’ve only SuperCharged my Model Y once, and TESLA charged me $0.42/kWh to charge @ 250kWh. I pay $0.0849/kWh to charge @ home, so it would seem that TESLA is more expensive to SuperCharge on roadtrips than if I drove my ACURA TSX (ICE)—AND I’d have to stop to SuperCharge more frequently than I normally would stop for ICE fuel. (Our 2021 HONDA Odyssey minivan is more comfortable than both the ACURA and the Model Y on roadtrips—with a family of five—and gets better fuel economy than the ACURA; plus, it can travel about 477mi in between fill-ups, allowing for longer range and fewer stops.)

the charging costs in Europe even at home are much higher.
For example - This month, my cost to charge at home would be Eur 0.70 per Kwh whereas the SuC is about Eur 0.40. This was due to the energy crises in Ukraine. However, starting next month, both costs should be on parity, so still makes sense to use an SuC closeby.

Good write up

Stock height?

As in tyre height? Yes, 19" Gemini's on stock tyres. No roof racks etc.

Do the Model Y’s being sold in E(U)K come equipped with different sized battery packs than those made/sold here in the USA—does anyone know? I picked up this info on Model Y battery pack sizes (BELOW) but forgot to snag the online source (apologies). I’m unconvinced that the Model Y (LR/AWD), which I own, has a 83kWh battery pack size.

2023 Model Y Performance (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 78.1 kWh
Usable: 75.0 kWh

2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 78.1 kWh*
Usable: 75.0 kWh*

2023 Model Y (RWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 60.0 kWh
Usable: 57.5 kWh

* Model Y (LR/AWD) is obviously throttled back—despite being equipped with the same battery pack as the Model Y Performance—as any Model Y (LR/AWD) can be speed upgraded (from stock 4.7sec 0-60mph to 4.2sec) with TESLA Acceleration Boost for a mere $2k.

I think I read that the LR had 83KWh but I could be totally wrong.

Which Supercharger is in the main photo? Planning a trip with a tow bar mounted bike rack and this looks more friendly with the SC to the side of the car rather the rear.

Good write-up.

It's between Dijon and Lyon. Chalon-sur-Saône area.

Reactions: WyoDude
hanks for sharing! Curious about something: Is there a tunnel or a bridge that goes across the English Channel, or perhaps a ferry trip required?

There is a tunnel, you drive onto a train and that train goes under the channel. There are also loads of ferries from multiple ports. The EuroTunnel is crazy expensive now now and you have to book well in advance for peak times.

The charges seem to be similar across SC sites - around 40p / 40c per KWh. If I charge at home it's 36p KWh but that's really inflated due to the current global energy BS. It used to be much less.

View attachment 907052

View attachment 907057

Totally agree about the seats, mine are the same, great for an hour or so but on series miles they are the worst I’ve ever had on any car, way to soft with very little support and I’ve never been able to get that comfy position. My 1984 fiesta 1.1 had better seats 😂. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Reactions: Ratch
I love travelling on the train through the Channel Tunnel. It is more expensive than the ferry but you just cannot beat driving onto the train, staying on your car and 35 minutes later you drive off and onto the Motorway. Some pics below for interest.

leshuttle1.jpg

leshuttle2.jpg