Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7day 1500 miles SFO/Yosemite/Vegas/Canyons ...only 5 Teslas seen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am shocked having taken a 1500 mile trip starting at SFO and ending up in Vegas to have seen only 5 Teslas .

Now let me get started by saying that we drove a Ford Transit due to having 9 people and my Tesla is in Pittsburgh PA.

We took in all the great parks via Sonora, Yosemite, Mammooth Lakes, Beatty NV, Death valley Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce, Zion Canyon, Vegas.

Now looking at the map of Superchagers I would easily have been able to take that trip even with my 75X assuming I'd be a resident there and only 5 people were with me. Most of these stops had SuperChargers.

Am I missing something? Are Teslas not used for touring this great area of the USA? Granted also that 70 percent of the people visiting these parks in Mid August seem to be French or Italians and Teslas are not a rental option. Also I must say I never encountered a Tesla Superchager sign...seems like Tesla likes to hide them (same here in PA). At Beatty, NV I stayed next door and did not notice it.

Here is Pittsburgh I see at least 10 Teslas a day and even when i do a 200 mile trip I see a lot more Teslas on the road.

I am currently in Silicon valley, drove down from SFO. There are so many Ss and a good amount of X's. I feel the opposite of you and was about to post. Tesla is much more of unique commodity in NJ/NY. I've seen more X's in one day here than I have seen since I have had mine in NJ at the end of July.

Last edited:
Reactions: McManX
We were probably one of teslas you saw. (were in Grand Canyon, Zion, Las Vegas last week)
We usually saw at least 1 or 2 teslas when supercharging, but not much on the road, except on I-5, which we saw quite a few.
Surprised that you didn't see many teslas in SFO though.

True I saw Teslas near SFO airport but started my trip across the Bay Bridge in Emeryville towards Yosemite and that's when we started counting. Trust me we had that Punch Buggy game going on and we all ended up remarking how few Teslas we saw. Vegas we saw only one in a parking lot.

For some reason I see a LOT of Teslas in Pittsburgh near me but again we have a supercharger and SC just around the corner.

My point is maybe that tourist destinations in August do not reflect the correct percentage of Tesla's share of the market. I saw hundreds of Ford Transit rentals on the trip but I never see them around here.

Where you live definitely matters. Here in big oil country (Houston Tx), outside of the service centers, I can count the number of Model X's I've seen on one hand.

On my daily 20 mile commute home, I do typically see 1-3 model S's though.