Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Media Player 8.0. Still terrible. :D

:(

I'm still not able to figure out why my USB drive has almost only hex characters while everyone else's only uses \x20 for spaces. I tried renaming it a couple ways and it's always filled with escaped hex stuff. Not sure what I'm doing differently.
Are you using a different keyboard from the standard US version or have some extension that plays around with that? Non-basic Latin Characters have been known to cause havoc in Media Player names and tags in 6.2-7.1. Also, Assuming you don't want to reformat your stick (which is always best to start fresh), just to be sure there is not a blank or undisplayable character at the beginning or end, perhaps try changing the name of your stick to at least 12 chars like "XXXXXXXXXXXX", remove the stick, then rename it back to what you want. IDK! But I'd give that a try in your circumstance. GOod luck.

Last edited:
Here's a new one for the list. It has happened to me about five times now but it is not consistent.

I often check the radio for a minute or two to see if their is anything good on NPR or any top news. But then I turn it off and decide silence is good.
Later when I park the car and leave, the radio turns ON? o_Oo_Oo_O

Here's a new one for the list. It has happened to me about five times now but it is not consistent.

I often check the radio for a minute or two to see if their is anything good on NPR or any top news. But then I turn it off and decide silence is good.
I assume when you say you "turn it off", you are muting, pausing, or turning the volume way down (they are not the same thing).. as there has never been a real persistent OFF for Media Player. IMHO Media Player has always had a "feature" I don't like, not maintaining the persistence of how I've set Media Player after I exit and re-enter my MS (i.e. If I paused before exiting, I want USB paused upon re-entering and to start where I left off, or for radio if I muted, I want it muted upon re-entry every time.). Perhaps why this seems to act differently to you one time vs another is 8.0 is acting a little different upon re-entering your vehicle based on which of those 3 things you did to have silence in the cab? IDK for sure, just for consideration.

I assume when you say you "turn it off", you are muting, pausing, or turning the volume way down (they are not the same thing).. as there has never been a real persistent OFF for Media Player. IMHO Media Player has always had a "feature" I don't like, not maintaining the persistence of how I've set Media Player after I exit and re-enter my MS (i.e. If I paused before exiting, I want USB paused upon re-entering and to start where I left off, or for radio if I muted, I want it muted upon re-entry every time.). Perhaps why this seems to act differently to you one time vs another is 8.0 is acting a little different upon re-entering your vehicle based on which of those 3 things you did to have silence in the cab? IDK for sure, just for consideration.

The new to me bug is that I have the media player on FM radio NPR. I mute it I guess through the steering column. I'm not pausing as I can't pause a radio station, and I'm not turning the volume way down. Mentally I'm turning off / stopping all sound, and assuming when I turn it back on it will be at the same "place", and for a radio station will be whatever is on air.

The weird thing is that this happens when I am LEAVING the car, not arriving. I have had it off, and then it decides to start making noise when I leave with no direction from me. Maybe my car has turned into a dog that can't be left in the car... oops it can with 8.0.:D

Reactions: Casavant
The new to me bug is that I have the media player on FM radio NPR. I mute it I guess through the steering column. I'm not pausing as I can't pause a radio station, and I'm not turning the volume way down. Mentally I'm turning off / stopping all sound, and assuming when I turn it back on it will be at the same "place", and for a radio station will be whatever is on air.

The weird thing is that this happens when I am LEAVING the car, not arriving. I have had it off, and then it decides to start making noise when I leave with no direction from me. Maybe my car has turned into a dog that can't be left in the car... oops it can with 8.0.:D
Wow, that's a new one on me. There are previous reports of the problem happening as you re-enter MS, but I've not seen or experienced the problem when it in-mutes by itself before exiting.

Wow, that's a new one on me. There are previous reports of the problem happening as you re-enter MS, but I've not seen or experienced the problem when it in-mutes by itself before exiting.

In the streaming of Slacker I am losing the last 45 seconds of 90% of the songs played. Pretty annoying losing the ending of my favorite tunes. The icons disappearing in Navigation could be an option instead of default. And I don't like tesla choosing my default screen positions, It takes extra time tapping the screen and looking away from the road to customize. I'm adjusting but it's been a hassle.

The more than $1/mile has been frequently doubled near the end of quarters to push volume and it's been done since at least 2014 and maybe earlier. I can't believe Elon didn't know about this.

I don't think it's legal to wave the destination fee. It's not only required but has to be the same amount regardless of whether the car is factory delivered or delivered across the entire country. I find it very difficult to believe that was waved since you can't really wave that. You could wave doc fees, discount the price of a car, etc, but you can't wave the destination fee.
No but it is legal to waive it ;)

There is nothing new about this. It is how the software functioned for years then it was fixed - don't remember what release. Now back to prior. REGRESSION!

There is nothing broke in the media player..........its a big improvement over the old one. Get used to it, then complain if you must. We have already heard all the rants about the media player in the first week.
Uhh, there are a dozen things broken with it. They've been tested AND outlined on about 5 different threads. Do you really think a couple hundred people would complain about nothing? Just because you don't use the same features doesn't excuse you from dismissing the concerns of others. It takes all of us to voice our opinions to make the car better. The next time you have a problem with the software, I'm still going to do whatever I can to communicate to Tesla it needs fixed, even if it doesn't bother me or if I don't use the feature.

Last edited:
There is nothing broke in the media player..........its a big improvement over the old one. Get used to it, then complain if you must. We have already heard all the rants about the media player in the first week.

Have you actually read any of the threads? We're not only talking about serious regressions in the USB player that make it nearly impossible to use for medium sized libraries, but for large libraries it's actually impossible to browse to the end of long lists due to bugs that cause the list to stall and your touch to be perceived as a selection. Then when you left back out, you're at the top of the list again. Rinse and repeat. You can never get to Z and the bigger your collection is, the the further you'll be from the bottom of the list before you select, left, and then reset to the top again.

Reactions: ICUDoc and BertL