Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Apple Music and logged in to my MY, but itā€™s truly trash and impossible to use. Iā€™m used to Apple carplay and it works so well in that landscape but on Tesla Apple Music is rubbish.

Trying to shuffle my whole library but it only shuffles the first page of songs out of 45 pages of songs, so I get the same 40 or 50 songs only shuffling.

Tried to make a playlist of all my songs, it does the same.

I was going to subscribe to connectivity for the Apple Music app but it would be a waste of money.

Anyway, I have given Apple Music app a rest. And now I just play music from my phone but still cant use voice commands to control it.

Is this it??? Feels like the music solutions from 2005. I want to be able to use my voice to play music but just seems impossible (the voice control in general is pretty poor compared to Siri, I have to use an American accent just to try and get it to understand anything)

Does anyone have any tips or ideas that work?
Apple does not work well on Tesla. Am I surprised? No! It works on every other car including sub 20 grand ICE cars with Carplay. But! No! Not on a 50 to 100 grand Tesla! Why? Pretty obvious Tesla wants you paying for streaming rather than pay Apple! Your recourse is just to have Apple Music on your phone and link it via Bluetooth! That is so retro! But Tesla has been taking a lot of steps backwards to catch up with the rest of the industry! LOL

Reactions: jq371 and JonDarian
Apple does not work well on Tesla. Am I surprised? No! It works on every other car including sub 20 grand ICE cars with Carplay. But! No! Not on a 50 to 100 grand Tesla! Why? Pretty obvious Tesla wants you paying for streaming rather than pay Apple! Your recourse is just to have Apple Music on your phone and link it via Bluetooth! That is so retro! But Tesla has been taking a lot of steps backwards to catch up with the rest of the industry! LOL
I just press the voice control button on the steering wheel and ask it to play whatever I want seems pretty simple.
By default it plays via Spotify, if you ask it to play a playlist or whatever ā€œon Apple Musicā€ it does that too.
Not sure why yours wouldnā€™t do the same?

My Apple Music app has the same format as on my phone so itā€™s seamless and easy to select playlists or whatever by selecting them if needed.

Premium connectivity is only $10 a monthā€¦

I hear audible is coming to Tesla too so that will be the only thing I use Bluetooth for really (except phone calls)

I just press the voice control button on the steering wheel and ask it to play whatever I want seems pretty simple.
By default it plays via Spotify, if you ask it to play a playlist or whatever ā€œon Apple Musicā€ it does that too.
Not sure why yours wouldnā€™t do the same?

My Apple Music app has the same format as on my phone so itā€™s seamless and easy to select playlists or whatever by selecting them if needed.

Premium connectivity is only $10 a monthā€¦

I hear audible is coming to Tesla too so that will be the only thing I use Bluetooth for really (except phone calls)
I don't think thats a problem with a lot of folks! Some people (like me) already have a huge collection of music over the last 40 years! I should be able to play it anyway I want it including using voice commands and not simply rely on streaming services! Streaming is ok up to a certain point! Yeah! 10 bucks a month is not much but I just hate to abandon my collection cos some nut job at Tesla thinks that streaming is the only way! For a company that can build the so called FSD (A big joke its really a level 2 Glorified Cruise Control) it cant put in a decent media player? But then anyone familiar with their auto wipers know that a 20 year old Toyota or a Honda wipers work better! Lol

Reactions: jq371 and positiv
I don't think thats a problem with a lot of folks! Some people (like me) already have a huge collection of music over the last 40 years! I should be able to play it anyway I want it including using voice commands and not simply rely on streaming services! Streaming is ok up to a certain point! Yeah! 10 bucks a month is not much but I just hate to abandon my collection cos some nut job at Tesla thinks that streaming is the only way! For a company that can build the so called FSD (A big joke its really a level 2 Glorified Cruise Control) it cant put in a decent media player? But then anyone familiar with their auto wipers know that a 20 year old Toyota or a Honda wipers work better! Lol
Out of curiousity, a media player that can play your music via USB selected via voice control is what you are asking for?

Iā€™m just trying to work out how a music collection that isnā€™t in a streaming service can be controlled by voice commands?

Some people (like me) already have a huge collection of music over the last 40 years! I should be able to play it anyway I want it including using voice commands and not simply rely on streaming services!

I donā€™t use streaming music services and put my entire music collection on an SSDā€¦ the UI to play it is not that bad šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Out of curiousity, a media player that can play your music via USB selected via voice control is what you are asking for?

Iā€™m just trying to work out how a music collection that isnā€™t in a streaming service can be controlled by voice commands?
Not sure it can handle when you cram 15-20,000 songs on to a large disk. I have tried it in my Jeep that has a very good media player and a great music system (19 speakers) and I can load the entire disk and search using voice commands. I tried the same method on Tesla and it was bad. The system could not handle it and it scattered the groups all over the place despite all the metadata being in order. It was a pain searching for something specific.( For example if an artist has 200 songs, Uconnect will list it as 1 artist, 200 songs. Tesla will list it 200 x artist, 200 songs!! Every media player I have tried it recognizes the metadata correctly except Tesla! Absolutely crazy) Would be easier to just push the button, ask for a certain track and hope for the best. The music I listen to is not commonly available on conventional streaming apps. That's where my issue is with Tesla. I have no problem listening to my tracks on my Jeep Grand Cherokee or even my wife's Jeep Renegade which has a basic Uconnect system . Push a button, ask for a specific artist or track on my collection and Uconnect brings it up in no time.

Reactions: jq371

The media player will recognize the metadata and group it in terms of artists, Genre, type, album name etc. and when you press the search button and ask for a specific artist or a song the media player should recognize it based on the metadata. Similar to what you have on iTunes or Windows Media player. There are also apps that can edit the metadata to make it more streamlined and simple so that way you can group the songs into lesser number of categories. You do not have to put them in separate folders as metadata including the album art is encoded into each song.

The system could not handle it and it scattered the groups all over the place despite all the metadata being in order. It was a pain searching for something specific.( For example if an artist has 200 songs, Uconnect will list it as 1 artist, 200 songs. Tesla will list it 200 x artist, 200 songs!! Every media player I have tried it recognizes the metadata correctly except Tesla! Absolutely crazy)

Thatā€™s not been my experience. I just copy the entire folder hierarchy from my Macā€™s iTunes folder as-is onto my SSD and it works fine. The Tesla media player recognises the metadata embedded in each song and the user can select from the Albums, Artists, Songs etc. tabs in the Tesla UI just as you would in iTunes.

The only minor ā€˜gotchaā€™ is if you want to play a compilation album of songs by different artists, and it has been tagged as such in iTunes. The only way to play that as an album is to navigate by ā€œFoldersā€ in the Tesla UI and select the album that way (they will be in the ā€˜Compilationsā€™ folder), because otherwise the songs by the respective artists in that compilation appear individually under the Artists or Albums tabs.

Sometimes if you import CDs in iTunes, compilation albums of songs by one artist (e.g. ā€œBest Ofā€s) have been incorrectly tagged (by the idiot who first submitted the data to the Gracenote database) as a compilation album by multiple artists. You need to manually fix that in iTunes before copying to your SSD otherwise the songs will appear individually and not as a single album under that artist.

Ohh well I guess youā€™ll have to either wait for a media player update but it sounds like an edge case as streaming seems to be what most people do.

20,000 songs is a lot of songs!
Yeah! I don't like to listen to the same songs over and over again! I think of something and I want to listen to it. That is where most other media players excel and precisely where Tesla fails. The music system is great! Streaming is very good but limited. I tried to listen to Guitarra Azul (Artist) today and no matter how I asked or searched, Tesla streaming didn't find it! I had to whip out my Iphone and play it through Bluetooth!

I have Apple Music in the car - what difference is there with the phone app?
and bluetooth?
it's still not Carplay, which would be my preferred interface

The Apple Music app in the Tesla is basically the website interface of AppleMusic.com

It has songs stored across pages and doesnā€™t load them all in one go.

If you try to shuffle all of your music it will merely shuffle all of page one.

You need to load page 2 if you want those songs shuffled. If you want all 50 pages shuffled you cannot.

Itā€™s very basic. The phone app is far superior and that mirrors CarPlay

The Apple Music app in the Tesla is basically the website interface of AppleMusic.com

It has songs stored across pages and doesnā€™t load them all in one go.

If you try to shuffle all of your music it will merely shuffle all of page one.

You need to load page 2 if you want those songs shuffled. If you want all 50 pages shuffled you cannot.

Itā€™s very basic. The phone app is far superior and that mirrors CarPlay
Can always put your iPhone on a MagSafe mount and just play it via Siri/bluetooth for now.
I just use the Tesla Apple Music app, it seems to have everything I need.

The Apple Music web page is worse than the Apple Music Tesla app imo.

Or just put them on your phone and use Bluetooth and Siri/Google assistant

Can always put your iPhone on a MagSafe mount and just play it via Siri/bluetooth for now.
I just use the Tesla Apple Music app, it seems to have everything I need.
Yeah Iā€™ve given in and been using Bluetooth.

I actually use Siri on my watch for voice commands to play on my phone and onto Bluetooth

Reactions: dronus
I have Apple Music in the car - what difference is there with the phone app?
and bluetooth?
it's still not Carplay, which would be my preferred interface
The phone app can play your tracks stored in the phone and also stream. The app on Tesla can only stream. I do not believe you have the option of loading your personal music collection to apple music app in Tesla.