Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, that is not software. Having spent my whole career working in more complex software than this, you just don't take away functionality like they did here. You may not fix old bugs or add requested enhancements, but they regressed the software. Almost reads to me that they don't have any regression testing of say screen capture sequences etc...
I guess what I'm saying is they may have had other reasons (PR, legal, regulatory,...) to ship when they did, to include the AP updates (I don't have AP so I don't know firsthand what they did/didn't do) and they had already promised updates to the media player. So they may have made other decisions/compromises based on release timing and not when it would be ready. I meant "that's software" because it could be on a roadmap to fix, that's all. Maybe I'm just looking for a rational explanation for why they did what they did...

I guess what I'm saying is they may have had other reasons (PR, legal, regulatory,...) to ship when they did, to include the AP updates (I don't have AP so I don't know firsthand what they did/didn't do) and they had already promised updates to the media player. So they may have made other decisions/compromises based on release timing and not when it would be ready. I meant "that's software" because it could be on a roadmap to fix, that's all. Maybe I'm just looking for a rational explanation for why they did what they did...
We may never have one....

Add me to the list of folks disappointed with 8.0's media player. It reminds me of an old saying by Charles Frazier:

Everything added meant something lost, and about as often as not the thing lost was preferable to the thing gained, so that over time we'd be lucky if we just broke even.

We have found that in v8, it is reading the album art in the id3 tag. Which was actually an owner request in the software improvement poll.
This is correct. It used to go to internet and get amusing results. Now it uses stored art, but it has to be correctly tagged to each track. If your ripping/tagging software didnt do that, you won't have art. Don't blame tesla for the one USB improvement they did make. Plenty of ammo re the regressions.

This is correct. It used to go to internet and get amusing results. Now it uses stored art, but it has to be correctly tagged to each track. If your ripping/tagging software didnt do that, you won't have art. Don't blame tesla for the one USB improvement they did make. Plenty of ammo re the regressions.
Yes, my bad for not catching it.

Most of the album art is missing for my USB stick.

If Tesla is now using data from the USB, they should provide documentation.

And, while they're at it - please add playlists - and let us create playlist files on the USB drives so that we can have playlist functionality, even if they don't implement the UI to support editing a playlist...

Reactions: supratachophobia
Most of the album art is missing for my USB stick.

If Tesla is now using data from the USB, they should provide documentation.

And, while they're at it - please add playlists - and let us create playlist files on the USB drives so that we can have playlist functionality, even if they don't implement the UI to support editing a playlist...
1) prior to 8.0, tesla NEVER used album art from your files. It ALWAYS did a web search, often coming up with bad results.
2) now, thanks to scathing criticism for years from customers, 8.0 uses art from your files. There are two ways to put art in your music files. One is to tag each track with a link to the art file. Most ripping software will do this, and there are utilities out there to do it en masse. The other is to include an art file in each album folder. Tesla uses only the former.
3) what 8.0 does is standard among media players. Even iTunes won't show album art unless it was encoded when the track was ripped.
4) so, tesla in this one area has gone from non-standard to standard. People without album art tagged will see it as a negative change because they will see no art until they tag their files.

• Informative
Reactions: BEEZR
Most of the album art is missing for my USB stick..If Tesla is now using data from the USB, they should provide documentation....

I believe Tesla is just using the standard artwork tag from the files. You can use any tag editing software to add the right covers in the metadata. Since it is a standard, in my opinion, it is better to do it anyway irrespective of what Tesla does, if you want to keep your music files clean and tidy.

For 8.0 though, as others have reported above, a few albums are still not showing the artwork even though they are there in the tags, and other music players see them just fine. I have also observed this - on may be 2% of my files. We have yet not figured out why. Some suspect it could be that the art is too big or too small. I have a suspicion it could also be a particular art format - like may be PNG or TIFF - is not read correctly by 8.0. Just another guess.

We cry out for a better media player and we get 8.0 which takes major steps backwards in both UI and functionality. Numerous owners meticulously detail the shortcomings and problems with media player 8.0 in hopes that Tesla will fix what they have destroyed. How does the Chief Space Cadet respond?

We're getting a new web browser - yippeeee!

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36