Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 inch crack on windshield, repair or replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got hit by a small rock on the high way, and it developed into 8 inch crack when I got home. Still repairable, or should just replaced? Not sure if I should visit local glass shop or Tesla SC first

766FA299-093B-410F-AC36-7350FA4A46BC.jpeg

This just happened to me and I went to Tesla for the replacement. It was $1006 - I paid for it and submitted it to my insurance. Insurance is reimbursing me minus my deductible.

In the time it took to get an appointment that worked for me, my control arms started to creak and squeak terribly so they replaced those, too, and Tesla gave me a loaner until I got my car back.

FYI: I’ve heard good things about the Bellevue SC and I had a great experience at the Seattle SC. I’ve heard bad reviews of the Renton SC.

Reactions: summer2015
Appointment is two weeks away, is there a problem to continue drive the car before windshield is replaced?
If you can't get a windshield repair kit for a temporary repair (given you are replacing it anyways you probably won't want to bother), I personally would probably apply some clear packing tape to it in the mean time. That at least gives something to keep contaminants out of the crack and may help it hold better instead of growing. But it's only two weeks, so maybe it's not necessary. I guess it depends on the weather too.

Windshield glass is laminated (two sheets of glass with a plastic layer in between to hold it together), so the chances of it failing completely from a crack like that is quite low, given that middle layer will hold everything together, just that the crack may grow in the meantime.

Appointment is two weeks away, is there a problem to continue drive the car before windshield is replaced?
I drove for almost three weeks with the 18 inch crack I had. I got a chip on a Sunday evening, woke up to the spread, then it didn’t spread any further. I figured if I got stopped for it, I could show the cop my SC appointment on the app.

If you have a Good to Go pass on your windshield, remember to take it off and the stickies that are attached to the windshield.

I had a bad divot with a few large cracks created by a rock thrown from a truck two years ago.

I had it fixed by an expert for $60 and still today you would never know there was a problem on that spot.

I was told by the expert he could repair a crack up to 18" long

• Informative
Reactions: KenC