Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass repair kit or professional Safelite repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed that there's a small chip on my roof glass, which happened after my incident (posted about it before, windshield cracked that looks like a gunshot)

Could I DIY this with a windshield/glass repair kit, or should I go to Safelite? I don't want this to turn worse than it needs to

Attachments

• 1000005004.jpg
    1000005004.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 207
Just noticed that there's a small chip on my roof glass, which happened after my incident (posted about it before, windshield cracked that looks like a gunshot)

Could I DIY this with a windshield/glass repair kit, or should I go to Safelite? I don't want this to turn worse than it needs to
Attachment not viewable (at least by me). If it were me, I'd opt to go with Safelite only because you should get a warranty on the work.

Your picture does not load.
However, assuming it's a simple chip, you should be able to do as good of a job as Safelite, if not better, with a $12 Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit:

There are better professional kits that you can get to a do a MUCH better job than Safelite (DM for links if interested), but the basic Rain-X kit above will match or exceed quality of Safelite repairs.

For your references, I have $0.00 deductible on glass repairs, and have used Safelite on two (2) of my vehicles over the past few years: one of which was my TM3P. Safelite chip repair work was amateurish at best (see one pic below).
To do a proper repair, the glass impact spot should be drilled, area sealed and vacuum formed, then resin injected under pressure. Then the area of the crack will get fully filled with resin, and the crack will be all but invisible.
Safeline DID NOT do any of that.
They just applied resin to the surface smooth and seal the area of the impact. You can DIY it and safe yourself the time and effort of dealing with Safelite.
1687324895925.png
1687325062001.png

If it were me, I'd opt to go with Safelite only because you should get a warranty on the work.

Unless the warranty is worthless.
What exactly do you think Safelite warranty covers?

Most (if not all) insurance will pay for the repair with no deductible, so why not go through with your insurance?

For me, it is:
  1. Saving the time (filing a claim, scheduling, waiting for a 2-4 hour appointment window, etc, etc.) and effort of dealing with a company that does crappy work.
  2. Knowing that I can as good of a job, if not better, than Safelite, in under 15 minutes.
  3. Satisfaction of doing a quality DIY repair on your own car.
HTH,
a

Unless the warranty is worthless.
What exactly do you think Safelite warranty covers?

"Our nationwide lifetime warranty covers the repaired portion of the windshield against continued cracking, and warrants that the repair will pass any state vehicle inspection."

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
And then you pay higher insurance premiums for a few years...
In my state (VA) it's illegal for insurers to raise premiums due to no-fault accidents. I'm not sure if a comprehensive claim due to vandalism with an associated police report would count as a "no fault accident." That being said, it's possible my roof top glass is OK, and only the windshield needs to be replaced.

no, window repair doesn't raise your premium.
the OP is inquiring about roof glass... and that will definitely count as claim against you unless you pay out of pocket for the repair.

i would fix roof glass myself as safelite often doesnt want to touch it and it's "out of sight" so your DIY repair doesn't have to be perfect. in the worst case you need a replacement panel from Tesla regardless - but if it's a small chip and you fill it with resin... chances are it won't spread

"Our nationwide lifetime warranty covers the repaired portion of the windshield against continued cracking, and warrants that the repair will pass any state vehicle inspection."
@Gasaraki Since you disagreed with my post but haven't posted why, care to enlighten me / us ?

the OP is inquiring about roof glass... and that will definitely count as claim against you unless you pay out of pocket for the repair.

i would fix roof glass myself as safelite often doesnt want to touch it and it's "out of sight" so your DIY repair doesn't have to be perfect. in the worst case you need a replacement panel from Tesla regardless - but if it's a small chip and you fill it with resin... chances are it won't spread
Here's what I find weird.

Suppose my claim is three parts, all of which happened due to vandalism, and all of them under the same deductible:

Windshield replacement
Roof glass replacement
Affected panels touch-up paint/paint repair

Will I get dinged for the last two? Or will I just be dinged for a single insurance claim?

... I guess I'll find out