TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

8 Years with a Tesla Model 3 (at 15k/yr, at least)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by shrspeedblade, Sep 16, 2020.

1. RayK

RayK Active Member

No, it's to hold up your pants in the future.

• Funny x 2
  2. TheRFMan

TheRFMan Member

I'm not surprised. EVs (and even PHEVs) are far more reliable and durable than ICE-only vehicles. I still have my 2012 Volt with 135,000km now almost exclusively city driving (about 85k miles). 75% of those have been on battery power. My car was one of the first 10,000 Volts produced; if I recall correctly, fewer than 7500 were made in 2011 model year when it was US-only and late-release, and my 2012 VIN is in the 1400 range (delivered Sept 2011).

I've had the car for just over 9 years now. Being a PHEV with 35 miles of battery range on average (more like 20 in an Eastern Canada winter day), I pretty much go through the whole battery 5 days a week, and sometime two charge cycles in a day. That's over 2000 charge cycles, and the battery is still fine. (Granted, GM had a huge buffer on the 1st-gen Volts). If a battery made with 10-year-old tech can withstand over 2000 cycles, I have no reason to believe that modern batteries would be a weak point in new EVs.

If it wasn't for the fact that COVID-19 has drastically reduced my need to use a car, I'd have already bought a model 3. I'll likely wait until spring now, since it looks like im working from home until at least then. Assuming similar driving patterns, the M3 would accumulate at most 25% of the charge cycles that the Volt has over the same time. We use enough salt on the roads here that I'm convinced that an eventual M3 would rust out before the battery gave up. That's what's starting to happen with the Volt.

• Like x 1
  3. Roadrash

Roadrash Member

Thanks for the write up, I put 33k miles on a year, and I have 8k miles on my car since I just got it 3 months ago. Happy to see good stories of ownership, hoping I can get 200-300k miles out of this car without major issues

• Like x 2
  4. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

I had a 2nd gen 2016 Volt prior to getting my Model 3, with a similar positive ownership experience to yours. When asked to compare them I say, “The Volt was a good car, the Model 3 is a great one.”

5. Shelby16

Shelby16 Member

Awesome write up! I am the exact car, 18 model 3 LR RWD and have almost 29,000, but everything has been great so far and I am happy to hear I could be heading in that same direction for reliability, etc. over the years with this car.

• Like x 1
  6. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

That's what I'm aiming for - 200K+ miles. I drive ~20K per year.

7. mcmoyer

mcmoyer New Member

Out of curiosity, what tires have you been using because that seems to be a lot of mileage out 3 sets of tires....for a Tesla :)

• Like x 3
  8. Quas

Quas Member

Fantastic write up - thank you, great info!

• Like x 1
  9. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

You’re leasing the car, which I suspect is the main reason you charge to 100% frequently.
    If you owned, it would be a different story I suspect.
    Charging to 100% that often will have an impact on the battery. Who knows how much, but it will degrade more than someone who doesn’t charge to 100% 2-3 times a week.
    That’s as per Tesla’s own testing.

I wouldn’t want your used car.... :)

• Like x 4
  10. Chirojan

Chirojan Member

Excellent post. Thank You. 17K miles on my 3 so I am looking forward to enjoying many more years

• Like x 1
  11. Cigar Man

Cigar Man Member

Great report - thanx.

I am a ride-share driver too, currently piloting a Prius, but with a Model Y on order. I did buy the Prius (used) for ride share, but while the Tesla driven for ride share, I got it mostly to make an environmental statement - and the sheer fun of it!

I was most interested in your comments about the interior - I have been a but concerned about passenger wear and tear.

12. scottish9000

scottish9000 Member

I too would love some tire recommendations M3 LR DM 18" Wheels

13. LisaW

LisaW Supporting Member

I love your writing: “The car has not been perfect, merely superb.”

merely superb! I have the same car 2019 fewer miles. Mine is also MERELY SUPERB.
    Thanks for your insight and post.
    LW

• Like x 2
  14. Anne C

Anne C New Member

15. Anne C

Anne C New Member

I agree. I live in Nova Scotia, where there is only one supercharger. I have a 2019 Model 3 RWD BR and I would love to be able to do the scenic routes and back roads, but am limited to only my own area. When will there be more superchargers on the back roads here and across Canada and the US??

16. Hankmancini

Hankmancini Member

Great write up from an 18 month 15K miler. Thanks for the detailed report. I appreciate it very much!

• Like x 1
  17. sjesser

sjesser Member

What a great post!

I have a Mid-Range (264 mile range) RWD with 40K miles that I purchased in Feb. 2019. Pretty sure they discontinued my model a month or two after purchasing it. Mods include chrome delete, wireless charging pad & matte black wrap on center console and wood trim. I know there are fans of the wood trim but if you *don't like it you should seriously consider wrapping it in the color of your choice. Really changes the interior landscape of the car.

Zero regrets. I've had it serviced twice at Kearny Mesa Tesla in San Diego. Once was for a warranty item. I'm not really a mechanics kinda guy but I think it was bushings? Last service was simply to replace the cabin air filter. I know. Don't say it. I could have done it myself but whatever. It was refreshing to see that your service experiences have been similar to mine.

Tires. Ah yes. Tires. LOL I'm on my 3rd set of rear tires but this is *entirely due to my, shall we say, style of driving? 'Nuff said. I have settled into Continental ProContact RX / 235/40R19's. I actually prefer these to the stock Michelins. They are a bit squarer with a more aggressive tread configuration and they feel "grippier" to me. Oh yeah. They're also cheaper; $800 for 4 new tires installed.

• Like x 1
  18. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

I think it makes sense to compare your range loss to the range the manufacturer claimed you would get when you bought the car. The software update that provided more range was free of charge! It makes no sense to compare it to that because that's not what you were expecting!

• Helpful x 1
  19. sslider02

sslider02 New Member

Your opinion on range anxiety differs from my opinion. While I love my 3P as my fun car, never in a million years will i drive it across country, because my objective is to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. I am not retired, so i value my time, and driving fast is fun for me. If I drove from Key West to Los Angeles (2900 Miles), my 2013 G37 with 20 Gal tank at 24 MPG at 85 on cruise = 456 miles (19 gals) between 10 minute stop for fuel and bathroom. To extend range more in my G37, I have carried a 5 gallon container with fuel. SO 2900 miles/456 miles = 7 stops at 10 minutes each = 70 MINUTES IN STOPS. With my 3P (with a 300 mile range at 50 MPH on cruise), I am finding a range of 200 miles at 85 MPH on cruise. So that means i can drive LESS than 2 hours (170 miles) before stopping, because all the superchargers are spaced out at least every 60 to 80 miles on the open road. SO, 2900 miles / 170 miles = 17 Stops AT A MINIMUM for AT LEAST 45 minutes, perhaps 1 hour + if supercharger is old and splits energy with your neighbor. SO BEST SCENARIO IS 12.75 HOURS IN STOPS, WORST CASE WILL BE 17 HOURS OR MORE IN STOPS. To me, this is unacceptable, and is the quintessential definition of range anxiety -- being able to only drive 170 Miles OR LESS on the open road. Last month I drove from Fort Collins to Yellowstone NP in a rental car (i have 4 cars but rented a Camaro for $120 for 72 hours, and i drove 1300 miles at an average speed of 94 MPH.) NO WAY could anyone do this drive in a 3, maybe an S, but everyone would be scared driving around Yellowstone if they access from East or North entrances. I am in the freight sector, and sometimes I will carry 500 or 700 Lbs of product 1000 Miles, and I must make delivery within 12 hours. NO WAY could any Tesla do that, as driving + 20 or + 30 over the limit decreases the range much more than a modern gas powered vehicle, and I imagine at 100 MPH on cruise, the range would be appx 140 or 150 miles. (My last Z06 was a 2011, and it would be 25 MPGs at 85 on cruise control, and 26 MPG at 65 on cruise control -- very little difference as speed increased, compared to my 3P).

• Disagree x 4
  20. TFKarl

TFKarl New Member

• Disagree x 1