Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWh Quarter Mile Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to take my P85 to the track this spring.
My son-in-law has a Caddy CTS-V wagon and is chomping at the bit to take me down.
My question is, am I better running my Bridgestone Pole Position 19" RS970 As, or putting on my summer 21" Contis that came with my car?
I've been running the 19" Bridgestones for the Philly winter and have been very pleased with them, although I was just told by Tesla that they are "non-approved" and were rejected by them during their testing due to their poor low rolling resistance.

Anyway, assuming we do our run on a day that is mid-60s-70F, which wheels/tires should give the the biggest benefit for the quarter mile at the track?

Surprisingly, you pretty much always get a slightly faster acceleration time with smaller rims and higher profile. A swedish magazine tested a Golf GTI with same tires but different sizes. 18, 17, 16 and 15". And the smaller ones got a couple of tenths faster from the one above. Assuming that your 19" tires are a similar compound to your 21"s, of course. If your 19" inches are allweather and 21" are pure summer tires, then I dont know.
If you are really serious, top the car up, bring both sets along to a deserted place and do some unofficial testing with both sets and a stopwatch :wink:

It looks like someone took the liberty of posting my info up to dragtimes :) Whomever it was "Thanks"

Stock 2012 Tesla Model S 85 Non-Performance 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com

I got 8.85 seconds for the fastest 1/8 run last night at the Homestead-Miami Speedway in my S85. Both times I was up against a Pontiac G8 which was very slightly faster but not by much. Steve (brightonuk) got creamed in his P85 up against a Nissan GTR lol. More than 2 seconds difference.

Good luck! The CTS-V is a surprisingly good track car. Last time I was at the track I was chasing my friend in his M3, and on the back straight this CTS-V blasted past both of us like we were sitting still. I could barely keep up with it in the corners, and not at all on the straights. Couldn't believe it was a Caddy not an AMG.

I can believe it! It cracks me up that yuppies think they meed a BMW when the Cadillac is a more cost effective alternative.

threads like this make me very happy!

me and the wife wanted to see which was faster between the honda fit ev and the fiat 500e. im even more impressed with the electric golf carts now that i see the 85kw cars times.
1897993_10201522119154976_627102998_n.jpg

granted this was only a 1/8th mile track, and i think the golf carts v tesla times would differ much much more on a full 1/4.

anyway, im sure the OP had fun. the wife and i had a blast doing that, the announce did as well.
1010097_10201553967511165_236706343_n.jpg