Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWhr Model S reduced Supercharging rate reduction confirmed by TOCWA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must be much more of a fan of Tesla than I am. I have a model S and a model 3 and own stock, but I’m starting to sour on them.

I consistently got a 227 mile range at 89% charge until my car was forcibly updated from ver 8.1 to ver 9 without notice and without my permission on June 20. As of July 18, my 89% charge yields a range of just 199 miles. On June 20, Remote S indicated a usable battery capacity of 74 kWh. On July 19 it is now 67 kWh. Further, above 93%, the car only charges at a rate of 2 kW, plus it will not charge above 97% (yielding a range of 220 mikes, whereas before the forced update I had a range of 253 miles at a 100% charge).

I took the car in to Tesla service. They checked the car and said the reduced range was due to a change in the BMS algorithm that was made to address a single fire that occurred in a car in China.

I do not appreciate a forced update on my car that intentionally reduces the range of the car (reduction in usable battery capacity plus inability to charge to 100%) because of one incident of a car catching fire. I paid for a 85 kWh battery, which turned out to actually only have about a 77 kWh capacity, and now Tesla has “stolen” an additional 7 kWh of usable capacity (74 kWh usable capacity before forced update minus the current 67 kWh usable capacity).

Unless things improve with Tesla (this battery issue and the yellow border on my screen, which service said I will have to wait to the end of the year to be fixed with a UV light) I will continue to drive the existing model S until the competition offers a suitable car that has a range comparable to a Tesla along with a fast charging network and better stocking of parts (I need a part replaced on my car but it’s not available and the service center is not sure when they will get the part).

Tesla made wonderful cars and used to provide exceptional service, but apparently no more.

Having an experience like yours, would make me much less of a Tesla Fan...

I will suggest that it is possible you are experiencing other battery issues, besides just the update, which might result in a replacement battery before the warranty runs out. The fact that you cannot charge about 97% indicates to me the possiblility of unbalanced cells or packs.

I suspect they will have to come up with a yellow screen fix as well.

I saw problems with service starting last year. Yesterday, after much research, I found a distant SC (Santa Barbara, CA) that did an excellent job on maintenance and warranty items. I hope I will not have to go back there for 3 + years.

In the meantime, try to enjoy the car while you can. I suspect the competition will be late to the party, and have even more teething issues that Tesla has to date.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I had two service centers check the car. The FL service center insisted there is nothing wrong with my battery and that it’s just degradation and that my battery is actually doing better than the fleet average. They also stated the inability to charge above 97% is due to the update that was forced upon my car, which limits the upper end usage of the battery. They insisted limiting the charge to 97% only reduces the range by one or two miles but reduces the risk of a fire.

I don’t believe their “story” and had the MD service center check out the car. They also told me the battery is fine and that the range reduction is due to the BMS algorithm change by Tesla after a car caught fire in China and is considered normal degradation by Tesla which is not covered by the warranty. They also said many people are experiencing this range loss, that I am not the only one, and that Tesla is aware of it and may revise the algorithm in a future update to address this problem but that I shouldn’t expect any change any time soon. Apparently the service centers are getting many people bringing in their cars due to this change demanding replacement batteries due to the reduced range. But as I noted above, Tesla asserts that the reduced range is not covered by the model S warranty. They are ticking off a lot of people with this algorithm change. The very people that sustained them from the beginning (my first reservation was placed the day after they originally announced the design of the model S and was reservation number 251), and are not likely to support them further if they continue such games like intentionally reducing the battery usage you paid for without even telling the customer beforehand and allowing them to opt out of the update change.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and David99
I have seen a reduction in charge speed much more than the OP shows and much earlier than the recent software updates. But then I have 220k miles on my battery. I believe the more cycles a battery has the more they reduce the charge rate.

Ironically one of the recent software updates has increased my peak charge rate from 116kw to 130 kW. Probably to mask the overall charge reduction. You plug in, see the peak and walk away happy from your car getting a coffee. The charge rate then drops dramatically.

Looking at the CAN bus data I can see the battery temperature being controlled very well. So temperature isn't an issue.

My car is unaffected from the sudden range drop. But maybe they just masked it differently in my car. I'm doing some tests right now...

Well, that did not do anything. Same release as a few days ago. I suspect the SC pushed out and update to me as I was in yesterday.

Moderate road trip on Sunday, for which I have done before and have Teslafi data from version 8 days. Will see how it compares.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
I can't find usable capacity in Remote S (Remote for Tesla). Does the app show it directly somewhere?

It’s to the left of the odometer reading. It alternates between the number of miles added in a charging session and the battery capacity (it says “X of Y charge” where X is the charge level of the battery and Y is the capacity of the battery).

It’s to the left of the odometer reading. It alternates between the number of miles added in a charging session and the battery capacity (it says “X of Y charge” where X is the charge level of the battery and Y is the capacity of the battery).
Hmm. Mine just has a constant -- not alternating -- "Added n.nn kWh n.n mi". Nothing changes except the numbers, and the time remaining above the representation of the car alternates with the firmware version. I took the pic soon after the charge started, so the numbers are zeros, but they do increase.

Image-1 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. Mine just has a constant -- not alternating -- "Added n.nn kWh n.n mi". Nothing changes except the numbers, and the time remaining above the representation of the car alternates with the firmware version. I took the pic soon after the charge started, so the numbers are zeros, but they do increase.
Just checked away from home. Now, when it's not charging and doesn't have a charge cable inserted, I do see the alternating text including the "... of nn.n kWh" that @swegman described.

I have seen a reduction in charge speed much more than the OP shows and much earlier than the recent software updates. But then I have 220k miles on my battery. I believe the more cycles a battery has the more they reduce the charge rate.

Ironically one of the recent software updates has increased my peak charge rate from 116kw to 130 kW. Probably to mask the overall charge reduction. You plug in, see the peak and walk away happy from your car getting a coffee. The charge rate then drops dramatically.

Looking at the CAN bus data I can see the battery temperature being controlled very well. So temperature isn't an issue.

My car is unaffected from the sudden range drop. But maybe they just masked it differently in my car. I'm doing some tests right now...
I'm in a similar boat. 123k miles, 2014 S 85, and recently got the update that changed top charge rate to 130 kW. Mine does taper off quicker than before, but I don't think as quickly as yours by the sounds of it. Pretty sure I was holding over 100 kW for a bit, but as soon as I got to about 45% it quickly dropped. I like that we have higher peak charging, but I'd rather a more steady and longer taper.

I also am unaffected by the range drop others have been experiencing.

Reactions: David99
I'm in a similar boat. 123k miles, 2014 S 85, and recently got the update that changed top charge rate to 130 kW. Mine does taper off quicker than before, but I don't think as quickly as yours by the sounds of it. Pretty sure I was holding over 100 kW for a bit, but as soon as I got to about 45% it quickly dropped. I like that we have higher peak charging, but I'd rather a more steady and longer taper.

I also am unaffected by the range drop others have been experiencing.

I did a lot of data logging on superchargers. The initial peak is higher but the drop is also faster. I think overall it is actually slower. I posted some data here:
Supercharging classic 85, or what's left of it

The charge times have almost doubled since the car was new. It doesn't seem to be only cars that have supercharged a lot. It seems all cars are affected.

I haven’t seen a range drop but def a reduction in charging rate/time. It took an hour and a half to add 200 miles at a supercharger last Friday.
I have seen the same thing. Minimal range loss, but large reduction in charging speed. Occasional 75kw, but mostly half that. I have 2019.24.1.5

On a whim, tried charging to100%. Never did that before. It really slowed down at 98%,did not go above 99%, but I did not let it sit for a long time.

I don't think I will do that again, as the fans were going like crazy, and Regen was limited.

• Informative
i am noticing the slow supercharging. I went yesterday and never got anything above 80kw started at 30%. My wife needed to go back to the shopping center today so I thought I would give it another try. back in and a model X warns us that she has tried multiple chargers and the chargers are slow. I didn't ask or look to see which model X she had. We had roughly same 30-40% as yesterday and it never got above 80kw. The lady gives up and leaves. I see a model 3 pull up to the same stall the X was on. I mention to them since the couple was gonna go to a store to check the numbers before they leave since a few of us have been slow. They got 130kw.
seems like something is going on.

• Informative