Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWhr Model S reduced Supercharging rate reduction confirmed by TOCWA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nikki Gordon Blomfield from Transport Evolved has done an episode on this issue and looks like @Murbs is famous now.

I would have appreciated a condensed version of the 6:13 video down to 2 minutes. The gist is speculation that the May 2019 firmware update was done out of an abundance of caution following a few battery fires of parked Model Ss. Charging speeds have been reduced as much as 17kW throughout the charging session probably to limit the chance of thermal runaway.

In the end, the batteries and cars still have plenty of utility and life to them and perhaps these updates will increase the longevity of the vehicle and battery components. One that wasn't mentioned is perhaps this is all temporary and we can hope for faster and safer charging in the future with subsequent firmware updates...of course things could go the other way too.

The green is the old (2019.16 and earlier???) charge curve.
The Blue is the 2019.20 charge curve.
The others are what I've gotten so far with 2019.24.

All charging was done after driving in excess of 100 miles at freeway speeds and warm ambient temperatures.
All charging was done unpaired with any other car charging.

Charge Rate.png

That is interesting. It didn’t hit 140+ kW but it also didn’t taper out as quickly. Looks like it would have ended up with a fairly similar total charge time.

It appears I got my colors wrong in my description. The names on the plot are correct. The Blue is the old charge curve, not green. The new curve SOMETIMES peaks higher initially and then drops quickly, but doesn't always even hit the peak charge rate of the old charge curve.

The green is the old (2019.16 and earlier???) charge curve.
The Blue is the 2019.20 charge curve.
The others are what I've gotten so far with 2019.24.

All charging was done after driving in excess of 100 miles at freeway speeds and warm ambient temperatures.
All charging was done unpaired with any other car charging.

View attachment 430680

not too bad
My 100D supercharging speed is capped at 100kW after 2019.20.x

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
So he started with a cool battery, supercharged (warming the battery), drove hundreds of miles (warming the battery), then was surprised that supercharging the hot battery went slower? I think this needs better methodology.

Supercharging a warm battery is actually better. The cooling system on my 85 is always able to keep up with demand even on hot (100 F) days.

For those of you who are doubting this data, dont, it's real and it's simple. I upgraded firmware while in the middle of a 10k mile road trip where I was supercharging multiple times a day at multiple remote locations where I was alone and the drop in rate was immediately noticeable. My wife was also on a road trip at the same time in her 85 and she noticed the difference right away as well. My curve looks exactly like the OP's. It's verified by my Teslafi logs that the drop occurred right after going from 2019.16.2 to 2019.20.2.1. Subsequent updates to 20.4.2 and 24.1 have had no effect.

My only concern with this is that if there is a legitimate battery issue, throttling or reducing the charge capacity through software may not be fully effective. During the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fiasco where the phones were spontaneously combusting, the first corrective action taken was to issue a software update that restricted the battery charge limit to 80% capacity.

Obviously, that action proved futile as the issue persisted due to the fact that the battery was physically too large for the phone shell and the normal swelling that occurs with li-ion use compromised the structure of the battery causing the thermal runaway.

I know it's apples to oranges but I hope the action Tesla took is successful. Would gladly trade a few percentage points of battery for the peace of mind knowing my car won't go up in flames in my driveway.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Have the same problem and with a replaced HV battery pack with less a year. In Portugal there are 20 or more 85 owners that got the same problem and it gets worse over 80% (we need more than 80% SoC due to extremely bad public network).
Clearly there is an issue here! Why?! Nobody from Tesla tells it. To me they told it was firmware, like the TOCWA here in Portugal we made the same test and we got the same result. There is a decrease in 20-30% in Supercharging speed session and also in CHAdeMO charging which is surprising

Tesla needs to clear out this as most of us are getting a dramatic change in cars features.

I take back what I said earlier. I am seeing a range reduction from 269 to 266, and SC was only 75kw at 45% SOC.

Per apacheguy, it takes a few cycles for this to become noticeable.

I went to the Store to see of I could trade it in a new Raven before the word got out, but just could not justify it. No leather, sunroof, interior lighting, plus a whole lot more $$$$$

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
You must be much more of a fan of Tesla than I am. I have a model S and a model 3 and own stock, but I’m starting to sour on them.

I consistently got a 227 mile range at 89% charge until my car was forcibly updated from ver 8.1 to ver 9 without notice and without my permission on June 20. As of July 18, my 89% charge yields a range of just 199 miles. On June 20, Remote S indicated a usable battery capacity of 74 kWh. On July 19 it is now 67 kWh. Further, above 93%, the car only charges at a rate of 2 kW, plus it will not charge above 97% (yielding a range of 220 mikes, whereas before the forced update I had a range of 253 miles at a 100% charge).

I took the car in to Tesla service. They checked the car and said the reduced range was due to a change in the BMS algorithm that was made to address a single fire that occurred in a car in China.

I do not appreciate a forced update on my car that intentionally reduces the range of the car (reduction in usable battery capacity plus inability to charge to 100%) because of one incident of a car catching fire. I paid for a 85 kWh battery, which turned out to actually only have about a 77 kWh capacity, and now Tesla has “stolen” an additional 7 kWh of usable capacity (74 kWh usable capacity before forced update minus the current 67 kWh usable capacity).

Unless things improve with Tesla (this battery issue and the yellow border on my screen, which service said I will have to wait to the end of the year to be fixed with a UV light) I will continue to drive the existing model S until the competition offers a suitable car that has a range comparable to a Tesla along with a fast charging network and better stocking of parts (I need a part replaced on my car but it’s not available and the service center is not sure when they will get the part).

Tesla made wonderful cars and used to provide exceptional service, but apparently no more.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and David99