TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$9.99 DIY Windshield Repair

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ReversePolarity, Jun 14, 2019.

1. ReversePolarity

Thought I'd share this to the community as I think windshield damage is fairly high on the annoyance as well as cost list. Long story short, the spring on my windshield wiper arm popped out while I was changing wipers about 6 months ago. Fortunately still structurally sound as it didn't spread over 6 months.

On a whim I decided to contact a few windshield repair companies, and all of them told me that the crack is too close to the edge and that because the area isn't accessible from behind, they can't "heat" the windshield. They advised insurance claim which is a $500 deductible.

After my yelp search, the phone started flashing me amazon ads for windshield repair kits. Since I was bored, I clicked over to Amazon, checked out some videos, and ordered one on a whim. A minute after amazon delivered it to my office, I decided to walk to the parking lot to play with this "kit"

20 minutes later.... to my astonishment, the windshield was fixed and crack 99% gone. Check out the pics :)

Super long post for a windshield repair, it actually works. =X
    267606.jpg 267608.jpg 267609.jpg

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  2. bigdave79

bigdave79 Member

Link to the kit?

3. David99

David99 Active Member

Awesome. I will give this a try. A rock hit my windshield yesterday and left a spider/star crack. I'n worried I will mess it up, but I watched a few videos and it looks like it's not too hard to do.

4. meomyo

meomyo Member

link to kit??

5. David99

David99 Active Member

I just tried it on my screen.
    https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09103-Windshield-Repair-Kit/dp/B000ALJ4MY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3SJ3VG53FS0E2&keywords=windshield+repair+kit&qid=1567294423&s=gateway&sprefix=windsh%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-5

It worked but frankly it was not as good as I was hoping. The resin didn't go all the way into the cracks.
    2019-08-31 12.14.27.jpg

I saw a Youtube video of this kit and I believe it would have been more successful in my case as it creates more pressure and might have forced the resin deeper into the cracks.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-600001-Windshield-Repair-Kit/dp/B00IPS4APU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3SJ3VG53FS0E2&keywords=windshield+repair+kit&qid=1567294641&s=gateway&sprefix=windsh%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-4

6. ReversePolarity

I don't see the one I bought on Amazon anymore so it might be out of stock. From what I read the resin used is temperature dependent, and I left the suction on for a good half an hour (mostly because I forgot about it). It worked decently but the main reason I did a diy was because no windshield place wanted to touch it due to the crack being next to the vin number.

7. akng126

akng126 Member

Rain X is the best one compared to some others !