Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D battery upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok. My Model X is in order and should be built towards with end of feb. yes, I ordered in Dec so get free supercharging. What's the chance the new 90D MX are software upgradable to 100D? Alternatively I can ask tesla to change my order for $500... thoughts?

I would not count on the 90s being software upgradeable to 100s. I think that would be a longshot.

As I've posted in other threads, if it were me, I'd pay the $500 fee, lose the supercharging, and upgrade. But you have to know what is important to you.

ok. My Model X is in order and should be built towards with end of feb. yes, I ordered in Dec so get free supercharging. What's the chance the new 90D MX are software upgradable to 100D? Alternatively I can ask tesla to change my order for $500... thoughts?
0% chance (but I reserve the right to be incorrect :p) Yes, you can ask to change, but you will lose the free supercharging as it will be considered a new order. You will also lose the ventilated seats if you ordered the PUP and that matters to you.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
If I were to take a stab, 90D batteries will be software limited 100s AFTER the April date where the deadline is to take delivery for free super charging.

For costing reasons they are going to have to:

1 - Make 90D a software battery to 100.
2 - Drop the 90 entirely and standardize on the 100.

I even wonder if 75D is going to be a 100D Battery that is software.

If I were to take a stab, 90D batteries will be software limited 100s AFTER the April date where the deadline is to take delivery for free super charging.

For costing reasons they are going to have to:

1 - Make 90D a software battery to 100.
2 - Drop the 90 entirely and standardize on the 100.

I even wonder if 75D is going to be a 100D Battery that is software.

My bet is they will continue to sell the 90D battery pack until they have no more. There will be none or almost no software limited 100D packs sold to 90D buyers. If they were going to start selling software limited 100D packs to 90D buyers, they would remove the 90D option entirely right now.

Good points Halcyon. I'm going to stick with the current 90D order - should be delivered in about 4 weeks and forego the extra 39 miles I could get with the 100D. Since I sold my old Cayenne, my wife keeps reminding me we need a car soon ;-)

My bet is they will continue to sell the 90D battery pack until they have no more. There will be none or almost no software limited 100D packs sold to 90D buyers. If they were going to start selling software limited 100D packs to 90D buyers, they would remove the 90D option entirely right now.

I'm tracking the delivery and production date trackers. . .when the 100Ds start getting produced, if there are 90D orders outstanding, propensity for 100D software limited battery pack goes up. As yet the only 100Ds in production are the Performance models. I'm sure they can swap out the battery packs (since they have 75D too), but have to assume that if the 90D precedes production of 100D no way one gets the upgrade. Again, Irish, rose colored glasses half full, yada yada. Longer mine takes to get into production the scarcer the 90D batteries will be. . .

I'm tracking the delivery and production date trackers. . .when the 100Ds start getting produced, if there are 90D orders outstanding, propensity for 100D software limited battery pack goes up. As yet the only 100Ds in production are the Performance models. I'm sure they can swap out the battery packs (since they have 75D too), but have to assume that if the 90D precedes production of 100D no way one gets the upgrade. Again, Irish, rose colored glasses half full, yada yada. Longer mine takes to get into production the scarcer the 90D batteries will be. . .

My 90D MX is still slated for production in late Feb with delivery in March sometime and I've started to hear some 100D folks are just a few weeks later.... I think I'll keep my fingers crossed

Reactions: Sully's8