Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One year anniversary-ish for ABRP! New version released, mostly with bugfixes and updates in the real-time in-car experience, like automatic switching between MyTesla and browser positioning (for spotty cellular coverage), better replanning (skipping waypoint you have already reached), asking before replanning, sanity checking of estimated reference consumption and speed, etc.

Try it out and see if you like it or if something has been broken for you!

One year anniversary-ish for ABRP! New version released, mostly with bugfixes and updates in the real-time in-car experience, like automatic switching between MyTesla and browser positioning (for spotty cellular coverage), better replanning (skipping waypoint you have already reached), asking before replanning, sanity checking of estimated reference consumption and speed, etc.

Congratulations on the anniversary. We've used it a lot this weekend. We did notice that there's no validation on the charge percentages. Could you limit it so it doesn't allow values over 100 for those fields? I had a problem getting it to calculate a route and found I had entered a value of 700 instead of 70 and couldn't figure out why it couldn't find a route until I noticed the typo.

Congrats and Thanks for your hard work. Thanks for finally putting a donate button to assuage my guilt for using it so often. I gladly donated!

Reactions: blincoln
Congratulations on the anniversary. We've used it a lot this weekend. We did notice that there's no validation on the charge percentages. Could you limit it so it doesn't allow values over 100 for those fields? I had a problem getting it to calculate a route and found I had entered a value of 700 instead of 70 and couldn't figure out why it couldn't find a route until I noticed the typo.

Should have done that looong time ago, it took me 30 minutes of HTML5 form validation studies to get it in place ;) A red dashed border around the input box will now tell you when a parameter is way out of its comfort zone.

Feature request: Reset Password (login, not MyTesla)
I use ABRP on the computer sporadically to plan longer journeys. Unfortunately, I always forget the password for the login with my vehicle data (model etc.) and then has to make a new registration with a new e-mail address.
Can you implement a password reset so one can reset the password if forgotten?

Is an app planned for use on iOS or Andoid? It would be great.

Because that's quicker than skipping a few.

If you skip superchargers, you have to charge to a high state of charge, which is slow. It's faster to partial charge at each one.
@comanchepilot
One other setting to play with is the "Time to open port". I've found that just by changing it from 5 minutes to 4 minutes, it can totally change which Superchargers it says to stop at. It's cool how such a small difference can change the optimum path.

Also, I used the site extensively over the weekend and it didn't have me charge at every single Supercharger. I tried various options and sometimes it had me charge at Colby, sometimes at Goodland, sometimes both...it just depends on your settings and what the optimum path is.

Last edited:
Reactions: comanchepilot
Feature request: Reset Password (login, not MyTesla)
I use ABRP on the computer sporadically to plan longer journeys. Unfortunately, I always forget the password for the login with my vehicle data (model etc.) and then has to make a new registration with a new e-mail address.
Can you implement a password reset so one can reset the password if forgotten?

Is an app planned for use on iOS or Andoid? It would be great.

Looong overdue feature (and very boring to implement). But now done - try it out!

App for iOS/Android would be mostly be a silly web browser wrapper so no such plans (yet).

If you skip superchargers, you have to charge to a high state of charge, which is slow. It's faster to partial charge at each one.

Right! ABRP is about giving you the quickest route, so you know what the bare minimum is. Anything you do different from the plan will make it worse, time-wise. For other reasons than time, it may of course be nice to stay for a proper dinner or lunch or whatever break - but then just replan from where you are after the break. That's the point of ABRP.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

uh - I don't think so. Instead of charging me to 90% on a road trip it takes me to 60% in 25-35 min - go plan a trip from Claremont CA to Sun City AZ - I don't NEED to stop in Rancho Cucamonga, Indio and Quarztsite [and Buckeye] to get to Sun City. I can make it by simply stopping in Indio. I arrive in Sun City with 15% charge Why isn't that plenty?

If I start out with a 95% charge, I get to Indio with 40% left, then charge it to 90% - which takes 45 min - and instead of stopping three times for a total of 75 min plus the attendant annoying on and off the freeway, checking status, plugging in - it takes me 45. I save at least an hour.

Of course, with an ICE vehicle, its nonstop and a 5.5 hour trip. Instead of 6.5 in an electric car.

• Disagree
Reactions: SomeJoe7777
uh - I don't think so. Instead of charging me to 90% on a road trip it takes me to 60% in 25-35 min - go plan a trip from Claremont CA to Sun City AZ - I don't NEED to stop in Rancho Cucamonga, Indio and Quarztsite [and Buckeye] to get to Sun City. I can make it by simply stopping in Indio. I arrive in Sun City with 15% charge Why isn't that plenty?

If I start out with a 95% charge, I get to Indio with 40% left, then charge it to 90% - which takes 45 min - and instead of stopping three times for a total of 75 min plus the attendant annoying on and off the freeway, checking status, plugging in - it takes me 45. I save at least an hour.

Of course, with an ICE vehicle, its nonstop and a 5.5 hour trip. Instead of 6.5 in an electric car.

I do not know which car model you entered, but anyhow, here is an example of that trip in a Model S90D: A Better Routeplanner
Plan says 05:44 including a total of 39 minutes charging at Cabazon and Quartzsite, but the first stop is annoyingly short just to be able to get to Quartzsite with a 10% battery.

So if I decide to live closer to the edge and set the "Charger Arrival Charge" to 5% instead, I get A Better Routeplanner and 05:35 with 36 minutes of charging.

Reactions: comanchepilot
then charge it to 90% - which takes 45 min

I think its constant across all models, but I can only speak for my car. Charge from 10% to 60% is linear, marginally slower to 70%, above that it slows down quite a bit to 80% and markedly to 90% and then from 90% to 100% supercharger is hardly faster than plugging in at home ...

... so i work on the basis of trying to plan my Supercharging so that I only charge above 70% if there is no other charger available - or if I'm having a meal and 70% will be reached before eating is finish.

Charging may be slow below 10% and - e.g. if Supercharger has to charge the battery "gently". Not sure, but this may be more relevant if the battery is cold.

My figures are 10% - 60% = 30 minutes - linear at 5 minutes per 5%
60% - 70% = 7 mins
70% - 80% = 9 mins
80% - 90% = 13 mins
90% - 95% = 12 mins and then 95% - 100%= 28 mins and then (on the one occasion I Supercharged to 100%) it carried on charging for 24 minutes before it finished, presumably to balance the cells.