Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it due to winding roads where you cannot drive at the speed limit or due to typical traffic?
Yes and yes. While a series of bends might be in a 60 limit, those of us from England will probably be getting an average of 30-40 out of them, in Snowdonia. Or meet a tractor with a bus behind it. Or a lorry. Or a bunch (group? gaggle? hassle?) of cyclists.

Yes and yes. While a series of bends might be in a 60 limit, those of us from England will probably be getting an average of 30-40 out of them, in Snowdonia. Or meet a tractor with a bus behind it. Or a lorry. Or a bunch (group? gaggle? hassle?) of cyclists.

The OpenStreetMap maps does not have a good markup for realistic speeds (nor traffic, of course). The routing machine OSRM would also need some road curvature speed adjustment. I may have to do some OSRM coding some time...

So, unfortunately, not much I can do on short notice. But thanks for the heads-up!

Optimizing för highest possible charge at destination would give very non-desirable results sometimes (driving long detours) but you can get a similar result by clicking the last charger on a route and selecting "Take a long break here".
Thanks for the work around. I'll give that a try. Actually, I thought you might implement it by forcing the charge on the stop prior to the destination to 100%. Is that what Take a Long break does?

since a couple of month or a bit more, logged in, when I leave the % charge empty, it does not take the real car's battery level value anymore.
Do I do something wrong, or is there an issue ?
I searched on the forum and didn't find anything.

PS: Fantastic app

since a couple of month or a bit more, logged in, when I leave the % charge empty, it does not take the real car's battery level value anymore.
Do I do something wrong, or is there an issue ?
I searched on the forum and didn't find anything.

PS: Fantastic app
It is likely your MyTesla login which has expired. Check out the MyTesla settings in ABRP. If it does not work, send me a PM and we'll sort it out.

Hello. Forgive me, I didn't read through this thread, but I take it the OP is the one that created abetterrouteplanner and I'm hoping I can make a suggestion (or get help if I'm doing it wrong)?

Up where I am, superchargers are pretty scarce. Your site seems to be aware of other kinds of chargers, but in the options it looks like only ChaDeMo is available. That seems odd to me, since that standard is seemingly on the way out and a purchased adapter is required. Wouldn't J1772 make more sense (CCS in Europe, I guess)? And what about destination chargers?

I keep getting "no route found" messages after a long time of calculating.

Otherwise... I think this really is a better route planner :)

Hello. Forgive me, I didn't read through this thread, but I take it the OP is the one that created abetterrouteplanner and I'm hoping I can make a suggestion (or get help if I'm doing it wrong)?

Up where I am, superchargers are pretty scarce. Your site seems to be aware of other kinds of chargers, but in the options it looks like only ChaDeMo is available. That seems odd to me, since that standard is seemingly on the way out and a purchased adapter is required. Wouldn't J1772 make more sense (CCS in Europe, I guess)? And what about destination chargers?

I keep getting "no route found" messages after a long time of calculating.

Otherwise... I think this really is a better route planner :)

Hope you get your car soon :) Anyhow, ABRP does support other charger types but my issue for North America is the lack of charger databases which allow usage of their data (PlugShare does not allow non-profits). Any tips are welcome!

There is a database of Tesla destination chargers available from Tesla, however most of the chargers are not publically available (most are at hotels, for patrons) so planning via them is not really a good idea. My intention with ABRP is to try to support all "fast" charger types for trips.

Of course, of course. It seems so obvious when you point it out :) Having other chargers (even if you had proper access to databases) would make a mess of it for the majority of trip calculations.

So is there a compromise? Perhaps, although I have no help in terms of implementation, you could include destination chargers at/near the destination and/or only when a supercharger isn't in range and the computation would otherwise fail?

Where it failed to me was when I attempted to plan a round-trip, and perhaps that's just outside the scope of the service. And that's fine. In reality, I can be left to my own devices (or plugshare) for finding a slow charger at the destination.

Overall, great job. It isn't (yet) perfect, but from my perspective it is the best route planner available currently.

Happy to slow down for a bunch of cyclists. Those uphills are fearsome on pedal power. But 30-40 MPH is probably the limit if there's a tractor. Those super-narrow Cornish and Yorkshire roads with high hedges or walls make 30MPH a distant dream :|

But when the road opens up 0-60 in <5S :D

Last edited:
Of course, of course. It seems so obvious when you point it out :) Having other chargers (even if you had proper access to databases) would make a mess of it for the majority of trip calculations.

So is there a compromise? Perhaps, although I have no help in terms of implementation, you could include destination chargers at/near the destination and/or only when a supercharger isn't in range and the computation would otherwise fail?

Where it failed to me was when I attempted to plan a round-trip, and perhaps that's just outside the scope of the service. And that's fine. In reality, I can be left to my own devices (or plugshare) for finding a slow charger at the destination.

Overall, great job. It isn't (yet) perfect, but from my perspective it is the best route planner available currently.

I am starting to consider adding an internal charger database so that anyone can add chargers directly in ABRP. (Sigh, I know, another charger database...) Still don't know if it is a good idea or not.

Could you use the Alternative Fuel Stations API for the US? Alternative Fuel Stations API | NREL: Developer Network
Excellent tip! This is actually a nice (albeit US only) public data source with a good API. I have added it to the list of charger sources, so now there are 1600+ ChaDeMo chargers in the US available for planning in ABRP. You have to check "ChaDeMo" under "Extra Chargers" if you want to use it. Note that this makes searches slower and most of the time, Superchargers will be used over ChaDeMos because they are so much faster (and, but not part of the optimization, less expensive and more available). Also, I suspect that in most parts of the country, the ChaDeMos are mostly Nissan dealers in cities and may not be helpful to reach remote destinations.

It will be a bit slow for a few more hours while the distance database cache is being filled.

Anyhow, try it out!

Destination chargers!

Planning your overnight charging while travelling is now a lot easier with destination chargers in ABRP. Zoom in enough and you will see various (slow) charging options which are compatible with Teslas, obviously including Tesla Destination Chargers. These chargers can be added as waypoints with a click.

Note that ABRP will not route via destination chargers when optimizing - this is only intended for stops you make for other reasons than charging, like sleeping. When you explicitly add a destination charger as a waypoint, however, the added SoC will of course be part of the optimization.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 19.36.47.png

Last edited: